Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trailering to Rally

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I used to go to Sturgis. Did it in the 90s for 8 years in a row. Among Harley riders there is as big a resentment against trailering as in any other motorcycle community. In the greater Sturgis area are about 50,000 hotel rooms. The "Sturgis Bike Week" is visited by approx 350,000 people. You had to put up with only a small portion of those. Usually, more people who trailer stay in hotel rooms. And how many trailer rigs does it take to fill a hotel parking lot?
    I bet, if you would have camped in the Buffalo Chip campground, you would have not met a single Harley owner who trailered his bike to Sturgis.
    Correct! My HS class friend rides to Sturgis from Western KS every year on his police Harley, (rode his BMWGS across Siberia) stereotypes get ya in trouble... He does trailer his dirt bikes. I do reserve the right to "make fun of people", no matter how this turns out...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    By who? Probably by the same people who consider themselves the only true motorcyclists because they have completed multiple Iron Butt events and have a license plate frame that states accordingly.
    I have trailered to all BMW MOA rallies except for the one in Vermont. My reason was, I always brought at least three bikes, my S, my K1 and my RT and I could not ride them all at the same time.
    How do you think all these pristine condition /2s from Florida, for example, that you see in the Vintage Show get to the rallies?
    You should do whatever your feelings or circumstances call for - the only person who you need to please is yourself.

No one should 'judge' you for your decision to trailer.

Then again, no one should 'judge' those who have earned recognition as Iron Butt riders either.
    Last edited by greenwald; 11-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Any room on your trailer for another /5?
    Oh yeah. I think I will rent a tractor trailer and offer all east coast Airheads a lift to Minnesota.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

BruceRT
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. Part of the rally experience his the ride to and from the event. On the other hand, trailering does not preclude stopping along the way have getting in some decent rides in nice areas.
    Part of the satisfaction of getting somewhere is how you got there. Ignoring what other but people would think (who cares?), you would feel some satisfaction arriving on your bike. Normally a trip, whether it is to the local twisties or the other side of the country, is about "the ride." If your dream is to ride old US 66, would you trailer the bike?

But is that really the point of going to the rally? Are you going because of a burning desire to ride the roads between you and St. Paul? Are you going to share the BMW experience with other association members? Showing up on a modern oilhead is cool but showing up on a /5 is cooler. What if you brought a /5 and a K-1? That would be cooler still.

What if your wife said she would like to be at the rally but could not take the long drone over a hot interstate? Would the satisfaction of "the ride" there be less than enjoying "the rally" with your loved one?

My point is that enjoying "the ride" is different from enjoying "the rally." Where do you want to spend your fun? Would riding your /5 around "the rally" be more fun than the satisfaction of "the ride" there? Choose whichever is more fun.

Since I am jealous that you have both a new oilhead and a cool /5, I would make fun of you for trailering but you should ignore my petty remarks. They are tongue-in-cheek.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    ... My friend has suggested the option trailering our /5s to the rally..... On the other hand, trailering does not preclude stopping along the way have getting in some decent rides in nice areas.....

....Any thoughts on this?
    Hey IMO it's as much fun to road trip in a car or truck as it is on or in any vehicle! Frankly, for me personally, I don't like to ride on Freeways for extended periods of time... and don't really have the time to back-road it all the way across half the USA to get to... well, to anywhere. SO to trailer would, for me, mean taking the fastest possible route- AND I like the idea of dropping the bikes off here and there to ride great roads along the way. So it seems it's win-win to trailer the bikes.

The one time I ever went to Barber's Vintage days in Alabama, we took a big, 10 foot long trailer, and my buddy and I took two bikes each. We bee-lined it down, but on the way back stopped and rode the Dragon (on a rainy Tuesday- nobody there), and the Cherahola Skyway. We also popped in to see some friends who had gathered in Virginia- and with them, rode sections of the BRP.

So yeah.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Hey IMO it's as much fun to road trip in a car or truck as it is on or in any vehicle! Frankly, for me personally, I don't like to ride on Freeways for extended periods of time... and don't really have the time to back-road it all the way across half the USA to get to... well, to anywhere. SO to trailer would, for me, mean taking the fastest possible route- AND I like the idea of dropping the bikes off here and there to ride great roads along the way. So it seems it's win-win to trailer the bikes...................
    Well put, funny thing is I trailer 3 hours to come down in your back yard to play!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by WI Sharon View Post
    I'm fairly close to the rally but I'll probably trailer there due to the volume of stuff I want to bring.

So far the plan is to bring a pool, cabana, grill, and bacon. Everything is better with bacon...

Just do what is the best plan for you and don't worry what anyone thinks or says.

And I probably need Bloody Mary stuff for this rally

I'm setting up my tent next to Sharon!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    hey john, sad that he isn't half the rider you are. He would be ashamed if he knew who you are. Got time for lunch in cedar key on 25 jan?
    wwmhd?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    wwmhd?
    Don't have a trailer but there have been times when I would have loved to have one. This past sept. while riding home from kali I found myself in a culvert during a very bad lightning storm. Was joined by a Canadian couple on harleys. Would have paid good money for a trailer and a car or truck to tow it with.

Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

No longer a member here
    There is another aspect that would support "trailering" to a rally and that has been touched upon in some of the responses: Time to get there! I am not into riding 700+ miles per day to get to a rally. I found that I can go 800 miles in a trailer towing rig. Most rallies I attended, It took me significantly less time to get to my destination pulling a trailer behind a truck or SUV than others who rode there. This in turn, gives me more time to explore the area of the rally, which uusally has nice rides set up. But if you just want to hang out at the fairgrounds and the beer tent, I guess this does not matter.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I'm setting up my tent next to Sharon!
    Not if Barley and I get there first!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Thumbs up A Tale of Two Colorado's

If you recall, early May of 2013 was volatile, to say the least, when it came to weather. What started out as a plan to ride my motorcycle out to Colorado Springs to visit my son morphed into arranging to borrow a trailer from a buddy and eventually, simply became a decision to fly out and rent an Electra Glide Classic from Eagle Riders in Denver, which is what I did. With snow covering much of western Nebraska and all of eastern Colorado as the plane descended, it was the right decision. After 3 days of great riding as temps climbed and snow rapidly disappeared, I flew home.

Later, over Labor Day weekend, I spent 2 days riding my bike out to Colorado again, put on 1k miles cruising all over that impressive state with my son (Four Corners, Million-Dollar Hwy, Pike's Peak summit, etc.) and then rode home.

Point is: both trips enjoyable.

What matters is not how you get to your destination, but the fun you have once you arrive.

So ride, fly, trailer, ship or rent - just explore on two wheels somewhere in this great country!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Ah yes. I'm thrilled to see this old debate pop up here again.

Sometimes it's not about the ride. Sometimes it's about the destination and visiting with friends - and still having your bike to ride when you get there.

People that are judgmental over others based on whether they rode a bike to a rally or not, are morons I avoid. They generally are not people just out to have a good time.

The only reason I don't trailer my bike to rallies is --- I don't own a trailer, or anything that can pull one very far. I ride to motorcycle events. Oldwhatshername generally flies or drive her car and meets me there. It would be a bad idea for someone to tell me to my face they have a problem with that.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Not if Barley and I get there first!
    I think I'm going to need some more bacon!! And some dog biscuits for Barley....

Sharon - WI Club, #GSGiants2014
    1999 R1100R
    1973 R60/5
    2014 - sold the sidecars and my super short GS! Bought a F650GS Twin

We should require everyone at the rally to wear color coded bracelets that indicate how one traveled to the event. We can essentially establish a caste system in which the mocking of those in the lower castes is encouraged.

We need an Iron Butt qualifying event for riders towing motorcycles that are towing trailers.

Have no idea about how many HD riders tow their bike to Sturgis, but the week before the event Yellowstone is awash in a sea of trailered Harleys. I have no objection to them having them on trailers. I do object to them unloading the bikes, forming large groups, parading around at 10 MPH under the speed limit all the while saving hundreds of lives with their straight pipes.

As in almost every other instance of being asked to render an opinion about the appearance, non-criminal behavior or beliefs of others, the appropriate response is, "why should I care?"
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost