Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Skyline Drive: First Time a Victim of Anti-Motorcycle Bias

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more Racer. Many younger law enforcement guys are from the military hence their boot camp hair cuts and Marine Corp in your face threatening PTSD influenced attitude. As a group they are just plain scary. If it weren't for career opportunities in law enforcement many of these so called cops would be on the streets like the hoods they really are. This of course just my humble not worth much opinion.
    As expressed here as an overly broad and inaccurate generalization, I agree with your characterization of your opinion.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Folks, in reading through this entire thread, posts are starting to get more onto the personal attack side about people that someone has never met or only read about, etc. It was stated earlier there are always bad apples in every barrel. Let's just leave it at that. The OP started out by talking about an incident that happened to HIM....he did something to help resolve the issue in his mind. Now people are bringing instances out of the woodwork or local crime columns as a way of seemingly painting all LEOs in bad light. If you weren't there, I find it hard to report on any aspect of what might or might not have happened.

So, let's reign it in or we'll close the thread. It's Parked Motorcycle Season, so maybe that's what this is. But let's just no go there...anymore!

Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

A couple of comments regarding an earlier post about Texas. First, it is not at all unusual to get a TICKET from a Texas State Trooper at 4 or 5 over the limit. They may well stop you for a chat at 2 or 3 over. Local police departments and sheriff departments might be a little more lenient - but maybe not.

Their rationale for being strict is this isn't a little 55 mph state. In western Texas and parts of east Texas the two-lane rural speed limit is 70. Much of it is 75. Some Interstate is 80. The attitude is, "We give you 70 or 75 or 80! How much more do you think you'll get???"

If perchance you want to suggest that a few mph is within the error of your speedometer you might hear the suggestion that you could get an equipment fix-it ticket too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

P Monk

My last stop in Alabama

First let me confess that my son works as corrections officer for a county in Texas. I have gotten to know lots of his friends. First thing to understand is that if they did had a very passive or weak demeanor they wouldn't be in that line of work, but they are all very nice people.

I was riding in a 45 mph construction zone early morning before daylight when I decided to pass an older truck who was doing the speed limit most of the time but would slow down going uphill. So I passed him and then slowed back to the speed limit more or less. Sure enough I soon saw a bunch of blue lights flashing. The young officer said he stopped me for driving over the speed limit and not signaling when I passed. I explained why I passed and that my turn signals had gone out on that trip. I guess he believed me because my bike was almost twice his age. He told me right up front that he was going to run my license and wasn't going to write me a ticket if it was clear. He was very polite and interested in my old bike and true to his word I rode away with no ticket or warning just a be careful and have fun.

Some of these guys are great folks, and some can be jerks. Anyway that is my last experience with a LEO.
    Last edited by dpmonk; 01-28-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: miss spelled work
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    As expressed here as an overly broad and inaccurate generalization, I agree with your characterization of your opinion.
    In part I agree with you in that I was a bit general in my previous post. Sorry for having offended. However, I believe that many law enforcement types we see today especially those with recent military combat experience have a tendency to be less forgiving and may react a bit over zealously in certain situations the result often being unnecessary injury and even death inflicted on the general public. An adrenalin rush can be frightening. For myself I want no interaction with local municipal law enforcement folks because I am a bit fearful of the them in general. I have been stopped for speeding by OSP (Oregon State Police) twice in the past 4 years without any problem whatsoever and because I was honest when asked how fast I was traveling received no ticket. Both stops were in 55 mph zones and once was for over 75 mph. I think most state police agency officers are a cut above many of their local brethren. Sorry for another generalization.
    Jammess

Cool

Those who know my writing style suspect I might normally pen volumes in rebuttal to the direction this thread had taken. Tried a different approach a little while ago - that was "all bark and no bite."

But really, why? This Forum is open season on LEO's - has since I first jumped onboard 9 years ago. I endeavor to remind myself that it only represents <4% of the membership.

I've been around MOA'ers now for nearly a decade.... almost as long as I associated with the H-D crowd as a motor officer.

And then there's the time I spent six days in the thick of things at Daytona Bike Week in '04.

Never ceases to amaze me who has the greater respect for and more objective understanding of law enforcement.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Human nature seems to be that the bad stuff sticks the best in our memory - at least for me this is true. I've had my fair share of interactions with LEOs; most of them have been have been speed related. A handful have been for no reason at all or a fake reason, just to pull me over. Most have been fairly pleasant interactions, but the ones that really stick with me are the ones that were unwarranted or unprofessional on the part of the officer. Threads like this bring back the bad memories and I'm sure they do for others as well.

Unfortunately, every time I see an officer on a bike or in a car at this point, I start watching my mirrors to see if I'm going to get pulled over, even when I've done nothing illegal. Just being on a motorcycle, I find myself being tailed at times, although much less often on my BMW than I was on my KTM dual sport. The bad apples (or in some cases, bad departments) create enough ill will to tarnish all LEOs even when most probably don't deserve it.

I agree with rxrider. My experiences with traffic police has been largely infrequent and without problems. In fact, I appreciate professional agencies like the OSP and wish there were more of them, a lot more.

True story: Several summers ago I and my wife were sitting on our front deck sipping some cools ones when all of a sudden out of the woods, our home is surrounded by dense woods and foliage (brush), came two cops dressed like storm troopers. I immediately jumped up out of my chair with beer in hand. The lead cop yelled at me to "put that down!" I yelled back "what the F?" and he placed his hand on his side arm and yelled "I said put that down". I immediately put down the beer and raised my hands. The cops just continued on their way running through our property and off into the adjacent wet lands. I later learned that they were looking for a bad guy. This episode was just plain scary! I really had the feeling that if I didn't put down my beer that I might have been severely injured. It is events like this that can give one a very bad taste in one's mouth. You here about instances where unarmed people are shot and killed for just running away from a cop. Excuse me but merely trying to get away from a cop is not reason for the cop to use deadly force. If some of these men in blue can't get a grip on their adrenaline rushes then they ought not to be working in public service. Again just imo. Oh, I think those two cops should have taken the time to come back and apologize for their excess that summer afternoon and maybe explain their actions a bit. I don't appreciate being threatened by people that are supposed to serve and protect.
    Jammess

Oh, the shame

I've never gotten a speeding ticket, ever. I probably shouldn't admit that on this forum. I've come close a few times. The last time was a very hot, humid day and I was trying to get home before the weather set in. It was obvious from the thunderheads that heavy rain was imminent. I had my mesh jacket on, but had no rain gear with me. Doing about 10 over on a 55 mph state road, a local sheriff pulled out, turned to follow me, bubble lights going. Just then, the skies opened up in a serious downpour. The sheriff ended his pursuit. He apparently didn't want to get soaked by the heavy rain! I observed the speed limit the rest of my trip, about another five miles, and considered getting thoroughly soaked preferable to getting a speeding ticket.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Well Harry, perhaps he was showing some common sense courtesy to you? Knowing you would be sitting there getting soaked while he ran your tags or wrote you up. After all, he gets to sit in the car.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

< Mod hat for a bit here

As Kurt posted yesterday, this thread started about one riders experience and how he dealt with it...A lot of us have been in this situation, I said a lot, I do not have stats. Remember the forum participation is a smidge of the membership as mentioned.

This has turned into less of a motorcycle topic that Motorrad is for and more of standing around the Campfire and moaning about the ticket we/you/I got or almost got. So off to the fire ring it goes. Once again opinions are OK until you cross the double yellow with a flamethrower. Some of these posts are starting to have that smokey flavor.

It has turned into folks venting about their opinions about how the folks who are just doing their job do their job. Imagine most of y'all know this diverse group of MOA has just about every profession represented in our ranks. Some of us know folks in this profession...some are relatives , some friends,some just names on a screen or we just haven't shook hands with eye to eye yet.

Making generalizations about who various jurisdictions hire is pretty harsh...you know these folks from the military are best suited for the reality of police work. A crew cut and attitude while on duty aren't a good indication of character, have met some really polite LEO's who also were ex-military...have met a few that had a different view than me...OK there as well. Kind of nice about our country ya know?

How many bad apples are in your basket of friends/profession/career ...just sayin'. Some of those may cause 80% of the stops 20% of us get to participate in. There, I used the 80/20 rule somewhere.
    Calling these people out sure seems a bit one sided as we will never know the complete story leading up to an incident. Maybe there's a forum for that, as there sure are a lot of them out there.

I hope an electrical lineman hasn't crossed your wires...hate to see the heat from that here when your lights/heat go out

Mod hat off for now>

My experience has been I typically contribute to most cases where I have been stopped. I can count on half of one hand when I was shocked to have a roadside chat. I have been stopped more in a hot rod car than ever on a bike, but that's not bike related so I digress.

I ride a motorcycle, ride it maybe a little smarter than I did when I first got a permit at 15..I hope. I bend the laws...have been told there is only black/white on rules, I often challenge them...and deal with whatever those bring me. I do not go stupid stunting , but yes I do roll on a lot. I got pulled over more on a different model bike...but there are a lot more knuckleheads and that brand of motorcycle out on the road, so the odds were pretty high I believe.Once again...no stats, just a cup of personal experience.
    And like Paul said earlier...when the limit is 80/85 around here away from the big city...and you get stopped for 5-20 over that...you are on your own.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I've never gotten a speeding ticket, ever. I probably shouldn't admit that on this forum. I've come close a few times. The last time was a very hot, humid day and I was trying to get home before the weather set in. It was obvious from the thunderheads that heavy rain was imminent. I had my mesh jacket on, but had no rain gear with me. Doing about 10 over on a 55 mph state road, a local sheriff pulled out, turned to follow me, bubble lights going. Just then, the skies opened up in a serious downpour. The sheriff ended his pursuit. He apparently didn't want to get soaked by the heavy rain! I observed the speed limit the rest of my trip, about another five miles, and considered getting thoroughly soaked preferable to getting a speeding ticket.

Harry
    Harry, You need to get out there and try harder. Don 't shoot for reckless driving and arrest the first go around... Just a simple 12 over the limit will do.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

BTW ... Where is Skyline Drive - is this a good road to ride?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    BTW ... Where is Skyline Drive - is this a good road to ride?
    It extends north through Virginia from the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful ride but not technical. The speed limit is 35 mph as I remember.
    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Well, as I mentioned previous-like there is another Skyline, very famous here, from south of San Francisco into Santa Cruz on highway 9. I was up there just last month. Perfect weather. And such a beautiful road thru' the woods and hills (mts.).
    I know law enforcement never bothers me any.
    dc