Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyline Drive: First Time a Victim of Anti-Motorcycle Bias

I'm Canadian, my perspective.

I truly appreciate the effort and sacrifice police make. I've had my hassles, some fair and some not so fair. I've got friends that are cops and I see some of the stuff they have to do. I even think the rent-a-cops do their best with what they have and the orders they are given.

I chose a career where I didn't have to carry a gun or wear clothing to protect me from being shot at or stabbed. Regardless of the color of stripe on their pants, I always answer with respect and so far, have been treated with respect. If I don't like a ticket or something else, I let the courts decide what's right.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I try to treat difficult members of the law enforcement community like difficult people everywhere. Don't provoke them. Don't challenge them. Engage them in a friendly way. If you are cited, call your attorney.
    That's all we can really do. I have found that blunt honesty can be the best policy and disarming, no pun intended. When I've been pulled over for speeding, (Not quite as much as Jerry), when the cop asks, do you know why I am pulling you over? I say yes, I was speeding. If he asks do I know how fast I was going, I will tell him to the MPH. Cops are used to people being weasels about it and when they are faced with honesty, often will give me a break. Not always, but a lot more often than not.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

There was a chance when.............

We could be living in Nazi Occupied North America.

I hope everybody stops and takes time on Monday to remember the fallen and the few that are still with is. I think the occasional grumpy cop is better than the Gestapo with a boot holding your head down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post

I hope everybody stops and takes time on Monday to remember the fallen and the few that are still with is. I think the occasional grumpy cop is better than the Gestapo with a boot holding your head down.
    Yes, but the trains would run on time and BMW would be the #1 brand in America.
    My Motorrad

Nick Kennedy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbc6DcXhvlE

Chris Rock on how to handle a traffic stop.

Very good point.

As an aside from this side of the border, when did the VFW and American Legion quit using the poppy as a Veteran's Day symbol? I remember seeing the poppy in the late 60's and early 70's as a fund raising gift/reward, but then it disappeared.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Yes, but the trains would run on time and BMW would be the #1 brand in America.
    Hitler preferred Adler.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Hitler preferred Adler.
    He was a vegetarian too.
    My Motorrad

Smile

I truly appreciate the effort and sacrifice police make. I've had my hassles, some fair and some not so fair. I've got friends that are cops and I see some of the stuff they have to do. I even think the rent-a-cops do their best with what they have and the orders they are given.

I chose a career where I didn't have to carry a gun or wear clothing to protect me from being shot at or stabbed. Regardless of the color of stripe on their pants, I always answer with respect and so far, have been treated with respect. If I don't like a ticket or something else, I let the courts decide what's right.
    That kind of 'radical responsibility manifesto' has no place on this 'Bitch, Moan & Whine' Forum!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

+1

I was given good advice by an LEO. Don't try to win an argument on the side of the road AND don't ask for a break, after all, they most likely gave you the first 10 MPH or they wouldn't have bothered to stop you.

I deserved every moving violation I have ever received.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I deserved every moving violation I have ever received.
    Same here, I also didn't get some I deserved.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Same here, I also didn't get some I deserved.
    Same here. I was once caught on a rural highway more than doubling the speed limit which, where I live, means a loss of licence and loss of vehicle for a period of time plus fines and a hit to one's insurance. By being totally up front, respectful, and not whining, I got the same fine I would have received had I been caught at 10 mph over. That constable got a Christmas card that year.

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    That's all we can really do. I have found that blunt honesty can be the best policy and disarming, no pun intended. When I've been pulled over for speeding, (Not quite as much as Jerry), when the cop asks, do you know why I am pulling you over? I say yes, I was speeding. If he asks do I know how fast I was going, I will tell him to the MPH. Cops are used to people being weasels about it and when they are faced with honesty, often will give me a break. Not always, but a lot more often than not.

Let's put it this way. In my ancient days of speed enforcement that tells me two things immediately. One: honesty and integrity. Two: While you were knowingly speeding, at least you knew, were aware of it and were honest about it (there's that honesty part again).

Different story if you stop someone at 65 in a 45 mph on a two lane road and they don't know what the speed limit is, how fast they were going but insist that you're wrong and they weren't speeding.

And as others have said, the side of the road is the absolute wrong place to argue your case. Look at the citation, and it probably says summons, citation, accusation or something similar.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Only fools go to court

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Excuse me, I'm only 54, so I might be a bit of a novice, but how is it humanly possible to have 26 court appearances? I've been in a court room twice in my life, once for a friends naturalization ceremony and the other time was for my wedding.
    You misread my post. I NEVER go to court. My attorney is hired to do the work.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Many miles

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Wow!!! If for no other reason, you should be careful not to violate any traffic laws simply because you are too easy to catch.
    Not when you break it down as a violation/miles traveled. I have over 1,000,000 miles on BMWs alone. I suspect my other vehicle mileage is way over 3,000,000 miles. I am almost 69 and I have been driving/riding since I was 13.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.