Thread: R1150Rt. New to these bikes.??

R1150Rt. New to these bikes.??

I am a newbie to RT's and mush more a newbie to this one. I have a R1150rt-p 2003 version.
    Today I was going for a short ride but the battery was down and would not start. Got it going with a jump start, but as soon as I hit the brake the engine died, any suggestions?
    Seems strange to me but then I know very little about these bikes and the systems on them.
    I might add that I took a 1100 mole trip on this bike last weekend and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 92205 View Post
    I am a newbie to RT's and mush more a newbie to this one. I have a R1150rt-p 2003 version.
    Today I was going for a short ride but the battery was down and would not start. Got it going with a jump start, but as soon as I hit the brake the engine died, any suggestions?
    Seems strange to me but then I know very little about these bikes and the systems on them.
    I might add that I took a 1100 mole trip on this bike last weekend and it worked perfectly.
    Welcome to the forum! The BMW's are pretty fussy on battery voltage. This thread may be more than you wanted to know but there is a lot of good info- http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...y-2004-R1150RT
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Bike dying with brake

I found the problem. The cheap ass Interstate battery would not charge up past 11.5 volts. The worst part is that I bought the sorry thing.
    I learned a lesson here, you do really get what you pay for most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum! The BMW's are pretty fussy on battery voltage. This thread may be more than you wanted to know but there is a lot of good info- http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...y-2004-R1150RT
    OM

You should also check out bmwsporttouring.com if you haven't already. Lots of tech info in the archives. I have the 03R1150Rt as well. Takes a little getting used to the constantly linked ABS brakes, but they work well.

BMW sport touring

Thanks I was just there looking at the site.
    My 1150rtp has been a great experience. In fact I traded off my K1600 GT for a new
    R1200rt this weekend because I prefer the RT's
    Thanks

QUOTE=bmw_rider;905875]You should also check out bmwsporttouring.com if you haven't already. Lots of te

ch info in the archives. I have the 03R1150Rt as well. Takes a little getting used to the constantly linked ABS brakes, but they work well.[/QUOTE]

I am far from knowledgeable, but I can tell you from direct experience that a number of seemingly unrelated symptoms can manifest as a result of low voltage. My '04 RT-P used to blow the horn at half volume when the key was on but the engine wasn't running. New battery fixed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92205 View Post
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.