Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did you see the new poll on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    Gary, do you have the time to tell us PC users exactly how to do what you recommend? (I have windows 7 if that matters.) Have had the same situation come up many times though the "remember me" box is checked. Actually, unless I want to post, I may not notice that I am not signed in.
    I will send you a pm with some advice that will most likely help. Actually all this is a bit different computer (mfg) to computer (mfg) and the way things are configured by them. Another factor is the browser you use. As odd as it seems, with the different factors noted above, some of this can be found on a Google search- i.e.how to delete cookies on Windows 7 Be very careful not to download any of the free help that may show up as it frequently untrustworthy.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    Gary, do you have the time to tell us PC users exactly how to do what you recommend? (I have windows 7 if that matters.) Have had the same situation come up many times though the "remember me" box is checked. Actually, unless I want to post, I may not notice that I am not signed in.
    I think the problem was more than a "cookie" issue on the user's computer end of things. For instance, when I was having the problem, I could go to the FORUM section and there I was always logged in as I had wanted. However, when I clicked on the "home" button, or went to the Flea Market, their system didn't have me logged in at all, even on the same visit. I would log in, click the "Remember Me" button, and I would be OK for the day, until I left the site (but not logging out) and later I could revisit and I would be logged in OK on the FORUMS, but nowhere else. This went on for some time (quite annoyingly) but wasn't consistent. I would be logged in sometimes everywhere, but most of the time, not, except on the FORUMS. However, I thought things were straightened out on the site, because about a month ago, I got the "Remember Me" to work correctly, and have been logged in correctly every time since then and at every location on the site.

I believe that was a software issue that was resolved a while back.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Jimmy -

The MOA homepage and the Flea Market are separate pieces of software as related to the forum. Yes, that problem with the other areas existed for quite a while but the office was able to finally set the right parameters so the "Remember Me" feature worked.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    That is usually a "cookie" issue Pete. With a clean-out of your browser history, temporary internet files, cookies and related it will allow your computer and the forum to sync-up on an up to date level. I hope you voted.
    Thanks, Gary
    Not sure that is correct, at least for me. I manually erase cookies and browsing history each time I use the Internet (yeah, call me paranoid but they really are out to get me) so I always have to login each time whether or not I select the "remember me" box. But I consider it an extra moment well spent for the benefit it gives me of no ads and spam.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Not sure that is correct, at least for me. I manually erase cookies and browsing history each time I use the Internet (yeah, call me paranoid but they really are out to get me) so I always have to login each time whether or not I select the "remember me" box. But I consider it an extra moment well spent for the benefit it gives me of no ads and spam.
    Keeping track of what goes on in/on with your computer is a good thing. "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you".
    OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Why don"t you simply restrict the forum to members only? Not logged in. No viewing, period.
    Oh, no, definitely not. No, no, no.

The forum's countless pages showing up in Google search results are a huge free promotional tool for the MOA, not to mention a real service for non-members with BMWs -- all of whom are potential members!
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I guess I would like to add my 2 Cents worth.

I now always log on as a member user because NOW the site recognizes me without having to Log on each time (it didn't always recognize me, even though I followed the proper procedure for it to do so). It didn't always re-log on, and when then happened, I would look as much as I could and get off. In other words, if it couldn't remember who I was, I gave up, got out of the site, and got frustrated. I think that if I have to log on each time I wouldn't visit much at all, maybe quit altogether.

However, I want to expand a little. I think the BMWMOA really needs to offer more if it expects people to stay on as a member (whether they are remembered or not by this site). As it is, the only benefit I see is being able to visit this site to communicate with other members who may be able to give help on particular problems, particularly repair issues. Without this site, I don't see much, if any, benefit in membership at all. I say all this to say that the Organization better take a look at more than just this site, because this site may be the only reason some of us are in the MOA anyway. The magazine is OK but only barely adequate as a magazine. The Anonymous book didn't arrive for me until some 3-4 month's time after I re-joined (I was a member some 25 years ago and sold both my BMW's and let my membership lapse) and it is only marginally helpful. The Anonymous book SHOULD be incorporated into this web site, so anyone can look up any person/location/service from anywhere simply by logging onto the internet and getting the information. Save a few trees.

I am wondering. After all the hype, really, what other benefits are there to membership? Buying a few BMWMOA monogrammed hats?

Basically, the internet is making joining the BMWMOA dispensable. Answers to repair questions can be had through other sources. The BMWMOA really needs to, look into ways to keep membership up (and attract newer members) in the future or else, the whole organization could fail.
    This is one of the most useful post I have ever read on this forum. Why do I say that? Because MOA leadership has recognized that whatever we do, it should either retain current members or recruit new members.

Part of this is driven by changes in technology. I've repeatedly asked this question: If we were to start the MOA today, what would it look like?

W/O causing current members to drop their membership we have to attract folks who have a different idea about what member benefits would be of value to them.

It takes at least 10 years for a membership organization to die. So if we do nothing, we are headed that way.

But I'm convinced the Ex Dir and the BOD are aware of the problems and seeking answers/ideas to address these issues.

As an aside, there are efforts in the works to make the ON available electronically on a variety of platforms.

As to the ON, it is all reader contributed. If the magazine has nothing of interest for you, submit an article on something that does interest you and you might be surprised that others are interested as well.

And in the interest of transparency, I am a Lifetime Member and therefore invested is seeing the MOA continue well into the future.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

sibud & jimmylee --

To the point you raise about "why be a member" -- I'm a new member, just in my second year. There's only one single, solitary reason I joined: roadside assistance.

That said, I very much appreciate having forum posting access. I wouldn't continue my membership only for forum access if the roadside assistance were, hypothetically, to be discontinued. But, I do find the level of technical information and experience here to be generally a cut above the other forums. And the forums are a reason for me to choose BMWMOA over other motorcycling organizations that also offer a roadside assistance package.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Jimmy -

The MOA homepage and the Flea Market are separate pieces of software as related to the forum. Yes, that problem with the other areas existed for quite a while but the office was able to finally set the right parameters so the "Remember Me" feature worked.
    It still doesn't remember me in the Flea Market.
    Using Windows 7 with Chrome, Firefox and IE.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It still doesn't remember me in the Flea Market.
    Using Windows 7 with Chrome, Firefox and IE.
    What about the MOA homepage? Does it happen on every computer you use to get to the website? I have to say this would be a local problem to you...I can't imagine what the FM/homepage is doing to single you out specifically. Sorry. For persistent problems and if it bothers you enough, you should call Jeff in the office.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

What about the MOA homepage? Does it happen on every computer you use to get to the website? I have to say this would be a local problem to you...I can't imagine what the FM/homepage is doing to single you out specifically. Sorry. For persistent problems and if it bothers you enough, you should call Jeff in the office.
    It's very rare that I visit the homepage, so I have not noticed if it remembers me.
    I've been working out of State quite a bit this year and that may be my problem. I took it for granted everyone was still having the login problem.
    I'm almost done with my work detail and will check the site when I return home.
    the FleaMarket problem does not bother me. I can view the ads and see the description without loginng in.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    Oh, no, definitely not. No, no, no.

The forum's countless pages showing up in Google search results are a huge free promotional tool for the MOA, not to mention a real service for non-members with BMWs -- all of whom are potential members!
    One of things that amuses me on this and similar forums is the number of times someone writes in that some vendor has given them a free replacement for something that malfunctioned or broke. The conclusion is always that free = good customer service.

Kind of like your viewpoint.

Be interested in what besides gratitude for something free would motivate someone to join up.

Interesting thing is the club makes lots of money selling advertising in the magazine but $0 for hosting this forum. You think the free forum sells memberships, I think it dilutes club revenues.

Sounds like a survey is in order.

Full disclosure: I'm also of the opinion that BMW bashing and posting about new Harleys should be banned from this forum. Really none of that in the magazine, thankfully.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Jimmy -

I just found out today, that when I get on the MOA website (it "remembers" me) and I click on the "Inbox" (or some such, I cant exactly remember) the site directs me to the FORUM page! I'm still logged in, but I had wanted to go to my mailbox!

Perhaps they hired the same team of Internet experts that put the Obamacare page together! --- Just joking!!

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    ... I'm also of the opinion that BMW bashing and posting about new Harleys should be banned from this forum ...
    Chris, guess I would cancel your vote on this issue, at least in folders labeled as "general discussion" or something similar. While I have seen little "BMW bashing" and only a small amount of Harley talk on this forum, I am in favor of allowing a reasonable amount of both. I like to discuss motorcycles of any and all types, and even more, I enjoy discussing motorcycling--which is entirely non-brand specific. Many Internet forums, like this one, are weighted toward a specific brand of bike (Harley, Honda, BMW, whatever), but thankfully they allow a fair discussion of all bikes.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST