Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whole Body Vibration = Prostate Issues?

GlenFeld
    Oh, and always ask your doc to use two digits when doing a rectal examination - it never hurts (too much) to get a second opinion.

One time - during THAT exam - I noticed that my doc was taking a long time for the exam - then I noticed that both of his hands were on my hips......

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I just read a piece in my newspaper(yep, this old guy still reads a paper/paper & no , I don't have prostate issues) about a study wherein they found the one large consistency amongst the study group of men with prostate problems was that truck drivers are far more likely to develop prostate issues. Can we translate that to MC riders? Maybe worse for Harley jocks than BMW's?
    FWIW, I asked my urologist if riding my motorcycle might cause prostate problems or possibly cause or aggravate erectile dysfunction. He said no. I have seen articles where bicycle riders can develop ED due to those hard bicycle seats causing damage to delicate areas...

What riding and long periods of driving can do is raise your PSA levels (sex can, too). So if you want a more accurate (and lower PSA result), refrain from any sex or long trips in the car or on the bike before you donate a blood sample for a PSA test.

Harry

PS: I have a twin brother who does not ride motorcycles. We have had identical prostate issues in the form of enlarged prostate.
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Nick Kennedy
    OK
    Here's my take on the truck driver / prostate cancer issue.
    My background: I'm a 6 year prostate cancer survivor, I had mine cut out in March 2007, at age 47, quite young for PC.
    My numbers were poor and I've got a file on PC and cancer a full 12" high.

Truck Drivers probably have higher or much higher rates of PC because of at least 2 issues:
    1 Poor diet
    2 Complete lack of exercise.

The red meat fat based diet, truck stop style, is deadly, end of story, especially without real exercise.

No exercise means your immune system is not running at full speed, very likely 50% at best.
    Daily exercise keeps your immune system at full power, as does sleep. ** White blood cells form when your sleeping!** Got to get good sleep!
    That why they say when you get the flu, Sleep! You need those white blood cells.

We [ everyone ] constantly has cancer cells forming in the body. Lots of them. Skin, bladder, colon, lung, pancreatic, etc etc.
    99.999% of the time the White Blood Cells gather up these cells, beat them up and transport them to the lymph nodes where they are excreted out of the body through waste.
    There is a problem when the cancer cells over power the White Blood cells and start to multiply. This is cancer. Those cancer cells are powerful freaks that can fend off the White Blood cells and get a stronghold and your in trouble, especially if you are young. The younger you are the faster cells reproduce. This why you age...The cell reproduction can't keep up and your skin hair eyes etc start to get rough. And this is why Kids with cancer is so scary; kids cells are multiplying at fantastic rates. And this is why kids hair and skin looks so good.

The Doc's beat into me that I have to exercise everyday and eat a good diet, because even with my prostate gland gone there is still a chance those cancer cells are in me. Breast cancer and Prostate cancer cells can hang around for years and then suddenly start multiplying. I have to get a PSA test every 6 months.
    And I ride as much as possible and have as much fun as I can today.
    Snowbums webpage has alot of PC beta too!

Gross Hematuria

Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

I rode to Salem this summer and back to home - ~2k miles and a week later the whole blood thing repeated itself! Again, no preliminary symptoms. This time a CTscan was totally negative for my kidneys, bladder, and prostate.

So, WTF? My urologist doesn't really have an answer; my PSA is higher than my normal [~4.5 vs. 1]; I just rode 1000mi 2 weekends ago without problems. BTW, I normally sleep through the night. BTW, I exercise 3-5 times per week. BTW, I'm 71yo.

Is it the awful BMW seat 'bump'? Is it any riding? Is it motorcycles in general?

Hoping to hear from others.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >165K miles; '07 RT w/ >140K miles

LD blog: www.ppldma.com

Quote Originally Posted by peterbonly View Post
    Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

I rode to Salem this summer and back to home - ~2k miles and a week later the whole blood thing repeated itself! Again, no preliminary symptoms. This time a CTscan was totally negative for my kidneys, bladder, and prostate.

So, WTF? My urologist doesn't really have an answer; my PSA is higher than my normal [~4.5 vs. 1]; I just rode 1000mi 2 weekends ago without problems. BTW, I normally sleep through the night. BTW, I exercise 3-5 times per week. BTW, I'm 71yo.

Is it the awful BMW seat 'bump'? Is it any riding? Is it motorcycles in general?

Hoping to hear from others.

Again, not trying to turn the thread but. I agree allot with you & [nickrides] So I'm curious. What sort of exercise do you do and for how long per session ? just curious. As I am 'un-young' myself @ 64

Nick Kennedy
    Peter

Web MD, a free website, is a good place to start looking into your health issue.
    When we get older I feel we have to really be involved with the diagnostic and treatment of out aliments.
    With the internet there is a lot of information out there, the key is to filter it to suit yourself and stay away from the B.S.
    Attitude, diet, exercise, sleep and low stress. Add a set of new tires, sunshine, and good roads, your golden!
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by peterbonly View Post
    Your medical issues are very similar to mine. I also had the Greenlight laser surgery for enlarged prostate. I usually get up at least once during the night. I also had some episodes of hematuria, and had similar tests. Nothing was found, and this is fairly common: often no cause of hematuria can be determined.

I did a road trip on the bike this season of around 1K miles total, and no problems with hematuria.

My advice is to not worry about it.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

replies

To 71243 [IIRC !], nickrides, and AKsuited - thanks for the replies and I hope there are more.
    Exercise includes riding 2mi round trip on my cruiser bicycle; 15min on the elliptical machine for a bit or aerobic exercise, along w/ another mile on the stationery bicycle. A bit of free weights and machines to exercise larger muscle groups and muscles affecting the knees. All done at the local Y and takes about an hour - some 3 to 5 days a week. I also do some stretching and back exercises when I arise. I am doing all for maintenance; not building muscle for sure; and not particularly, butt with some endurance in mind.

Being in the medical field I am aware of much that you speak re: the WWW. I am more interested in personal experiences, as AK relates, than I am the canned information. But, thank you for your input.

And, yes AK, perhaps we will be the stats in an upcoming 'finding' re: the fragility of the tissue left behind after said Greenlight procedure! I am hoping more of our fellow riders here will step up and let us learn of their experiences. I am basically not worried, what with the test findings, but I am curious as to perhaps the #'s who have also had hematuria after the procedure and upon continuing to ride.

BTW, my previous urologist told me never to drink any more coffee; don't drink any alcohol; and wagged his finger in my face and adamantly stated "don't you ever throw another leg over that motorcycle". That was 7yrs or so ago and I walked out of his office. At least I found a more current uro- who understands I have some life left in me.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >165K miles; '07 RT w/ >140K miles

LD blog: www.ppldma.com

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    What sort of exercise do you do...?
    Just to expand on this, a number of fitness experts suggest 150 minutes a week of aerobic and non aerobic activity. Here's a link to some information from the Center for Disease Control:

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...deradults.html

I looked at a couple of other sites: Mayo Clinic, U.K. National Health Service, and their recommendations are similar.

My own regime is workouts of swimming and resistance training, on alternate week days.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Wonder if they considered that truck drivers are on the road a lot and away from their spouses or girl friends? The lack of sexual activity has been linked to prostate problems (according to my urologist and studies).
    This.

'98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

The lack of sexual activity...osbornk
    According to the major Harvard study that was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2004, there was an association of significantly reduced incidence of prostate cancer in men having 21 or more "events" (my term, not the study's) per month.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Just to expand on this, a number of fitness experts suggest 150 minutes a week of aerobic and non aerobic activity. Here's a link to some information from the Center for Disease Control:
    I bumped into an old friend from work at the grocery store. He retired years ago. He said he just turned 80. He works out at the local YMCA 3 mornings a week. I realized that I need to do the same and so I just signed on as a member of the YMCA so I can do the that, too, use their exercise equipment. They even have a trainer to offer guidance. The pool in the local YMCA is scheduled to open soon. Another reason to exercise is to get in shape to do long road trips on the bike.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    According to the major Harvard study that was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2004, there was an association of significantly reduced incidence of prostate cancer in men having 21 or more "events" (my term, not the study's) per month.
    over 21 per month huh? Wonder what the opthamologists will have to say about that.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    over 21 per month huh? Wonder what the opthamologists will have to say about that.
    I knew I was right. Safety first. My ex wife never understood these kind of stats.
    Next
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I just signed on as a member of the YMCA so I can do the that, too, use their exercise equipment. They even have a trainer to offer guidance. The pool in the local YMCA is scheduled to open soon. Another reason to exercise is to get in shape to do long road trips on the bike.Harry
    Atta boy. If swimming is your aerobic activity, the recommended weekly minutes get cut in half.

Wonder what the ophthalmologists will have to say about that. jandhumphreyme

Seriously, what does concern ophthalmologists is Flomax. It causes a situation called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome, and complicates cataract surgery.
    Rinty