Thread: (2009 R1200R) Coming home on one jug - or - My R600R (AKA 2009 R1200R)

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar

(2009 R1200R) Coming home on one jug - or - My R600R (AKA 2009 R1200R)

I have posted here in the past about occasional throttle sticking problems. Never could find the problem. This morning on the way to work it got real sticky, so at lunch I went out to take a look. In order see if the throttle bodies were sticking, I reached behind each one and pushed up on the pulleys.

DO NOT DO THIS!

The resulting slack allowed the right side cable to come off the splitter pulley. The pulley is buried under the tank where one cannot easily get to it. I unbolted the tank and raised the back, but having never taken the tank off, I was not ready to mess with the pump connections in the parking lot at work . As a result, I rode home with the right cylinder at idle for 25 miles. I will pull the tank this weekend and fix it.

I was OK on the freeway until traffic cleared as the R1200R will max out at about 60 with one cylinder. I was very lucky it was the right side that came undone, because the left side has the throttle position sensor and that is needed to run. I would have been spending the afternoon fixing it the parking lot.

(Don, I forgot to add 2009 R1200R to the main title, feel free to do so)
    Last edited by deilenberger; 11-03-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added year/model to title
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I've run on half of an R75, and before that, half of an 883 Sportster.
    Sometimes necessity is just a mother...

I bet you have some "codes" stored!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Ok. Solved the cable problem. It popped off the throttle body, not the splitter when I pushed the pulley up. Easy enough to fix, even though I did not really need to take the tank off.

But I am glad I did. While it was off, I decided to inspect the air filter and discovered the dummkopf in Berlin who assembled the bike, pushed the bottom left side the filter seal inside the air box a 1/2 inch, allowing a lot of air to go by the filter. The left intake horn was full of grit.

Which brings up the next question; since I could find no binding in the cable system, was my throttle sticking the result of that grit getting in the throttle body?
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    But I am glad I did. While it was off, I decided to inspect the air filter and discovered the dummkopf in Berlin who assembled the bike, pushed the bottom left side the filter seal inside the air box a 1/2 inch, allowing a lot of air to go by the filter. The left intake horn was full of grit.

Which brings up the next question; since I could find no binding in the cable system, was my throttle sticking the result of that grit getting in the throttle body?
    Possibly.. the butterfly is a close clearance when it is closed or almost closed. You may want to buy the tool for the band clamps (Lisle makes one for less than $15), and remove the hose to the airbox from the TB and take a look see..

And I'll add the bike info to the title....
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche