Thread: 1200 RT Top Case and no key. Help!

1200 RT Top Case and no key. Help!

hello. I recently purchased a great '05 1200RT and the seller threw in a 28 liter BMW top case. He bought the case used and it came to him with a plastic key. He told me not to lose the key.....I just did. Any suggestions how I can replace the lock or obtain a key to open the case and place it on the bike once again? thank you very much

Buy a cylinder kit from a BMW dealer & change it to match your ignition key-if you can read the instructions then you can likely do it yourself.Done in person they can unlock it for you, then work can proceed. I've changed several "wrong keyed" used BMW OEM cases & I'm no locksmith.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Retired User
    A few years back I sold the top case from my RT. I wanted to supply a key to the buyer, but didn't want to give up any of my keys. I checked with my dealer who said he had a box of old keys and that I could just go through them until I found one that worked. Took me about ten minutes of trying keys. I would say it's worth asking your dealer about this possibility.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Unless you find a key that happens to fit, I think you (or the dealer) will have to drill out the present lock cylinder. Hopefully your dealer will know the drill-out technique since it's a delicate process.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

thank you all for your kind replies. Good news, Ridewest BMW of Seattle changed out the cylinder and rekeyed the lock in about an hour. This after spending a couple hours at SouthSound BMW in Fife going thru a couple of buckets of old keys. I was disappointed that they did not offer, or have the ability, to change the lock mechanism and rekey the lock. Thank you once again, I appreciate the solutions you offered.

Retired User
    Glad to hear all is well. Sorry about all that wasted time going through old keys.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bmurray@bi.com View Post
    hello. I recently purchased a great '05 1200RT and the seller threw in a 28 liter BMW top case. He bought the case used and it came to him with a plastic key. He told me not to lose the key.....I just did. Any suggestions how I can replace the lock or obtain a key to open the case and place it on the bike once again? thank you very much
    Hey- it got you on the forum...Welcome.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program