Thread: Battery Charging (for winter months)

Hybrid View

Battery Charging (for winter months)

Greetings,

Just a quick question if I may. There is verbiage in the owners manual about not charging the battery (on board) via the bmw plug without using the BMW special ($170.00) charger. Can I charge the battery on board if I connect a SAE plug directly to the battery and use a smart charger? Or would I be better off removing the battery completely from the GS and charging on the bench?

thanks

Donski
    I remove mine and charge it once a month with a trickle charge in my basement. Works great for the last 15 years. Battery life very good as well.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by 73516 View Post
    Greetings,

Just a quick question if I may. There is verbiage in the owners manual about not charging the battery (on board) via the bmw plug without using the BMW special ($170.00) charger. Can I charge the battery on board if I connect a SAE plug directly to the battery and use a smart charger? Or would I be better off removing the battery completely from the GS and charging on the bench?

thanks

I have permanent pigtail on battery and plug in with smart charger, have for years.....excellent results. IMHO $170.00 is a "tad" high for a battery charger.
    '14 RT gone - '15 RT coming - '13 RT filling the interval
    MOA #46783

The dealer had already installed the pigtail plug on the battery of my 2012 GSA. They explained it bypassed (and buy-passed $170) the charging issue. My most recent charger is an Optimate 4 with a special program for BMW but it isn't necessary to use it since the pigtail goes directly to the battery.
    Tom Wright - South Jersey
    2012 BMW R1200 GSA, and a 2nd or 3rd something rideable & 42 assorted training motorcycles.
    RiderCoach

I have the $170 charger, but seldom use it on My R1200. Instead I have the standard pigtail that I use with a Battery Tender. Both work fine.

Curious if all of you with BMW gel batteries use gel specific chargers.

Also, wondering if all of you with AGM batteries like Odyssey use AGM specific chargers.

Everybody has opinions...

Jim
    2008 BMW R1200RT
    2003 BMW K1200RS (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast2 View Post
    Curious if all of you with BMW gel batteries use gel specific chargers.

Also, wondering if all of you with AGM batteries like Odyssey use AGM specific chargers.

Everybody has opinions...

Jim
    Hey wait a minute, I don't have an opinion....LOL! Have AGM battery (stock) and use a generic battery tender, that's apparently smart...no problems.
    '14 RT gone - '15 RT coming - '13 RT filling the interval
    MOA #46783