Thread: 2004 1150RT starter noise

2004 1150RT starter noise

My starter continues to make noise after releasing the starter button . I saw a recommendation to lubricate the starter . Does that sound logical ? If so ,what is it specifically that needs lubrication and what lube would you use ?

billb
    I had the same problem on my R1100RT a few years ago. I pulled the starter off and took it to a guy who rebuilds starters. He put on a new drive, the gear that moves into the gear on the flywheel. When it wears out it sticks and causes the noise. He charged me about $50 dollars for the part and labor. The cost of the part alone was near $100 from the dealer. You have to remove the tupperware on the left side to get to the starter. That is the hardest part. Getting the starter off was not difficult. It has been good for the last 35K miles.

Oilheads have a one-way clutch built into the starter drive. The clutch will screetch when the starter button is released when the starter clutch is dirty.

Remove the starter. Locate the silver colored disk assembly (it may look black if dirty) rearward of the nose gear. Clean the outside. Notice the seam on the forward face of the silver disk. Place the starter vertical, nose up, and spray some brake system cleaner or electric motor cleaner right at the seam in the face of the clutch. Rotate the starter nose gear. It will turn one way without turning the motor and the other way it will grip and turn the motor. Use the solvent and then compressed air a couple of times to clean the clutch. Then, while still oriented vertical add a couple of drops of light machine oil at the shaft/beraing interface at the starter nose. Reinstall the starter. The noise will be gone for the next 10 or 20 thousand miles - then clean it again.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billb View Post
    I had the same problem on my R1100RT a few years ago. I pulled the starter off and took it to a guy who rebuilds starters. He put on a new drive, the gear that moves into the gear on the flywheel. When it wears out it sticks and causes the noise. He charged me about $50 dollars for the part and labor. The cost of the part alone was near $100 from the dealer. You have to remove the tupperware on the left side to get to the starter. That is the hardest part. Getting the starter off was not difficult. It has been good for the last 35K miles.

Pauls recommendation

I cleaned the starter and oiled it like you recommended . It runs like a champion . Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebill View Post
    I cleaned the starter and oiled it like you recommended . It runs like a champion . Thanks for your help
    You are welcome. Glad to help.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves