Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake Bleed Question '03 R1100S

Left Coast Rider

Brake Bleed Question '03 R1100S

I've got both the ABS and servo system on this bike and its time to bleed the brakes.

If I were to install SpeedBleeders, would I then be able to simply squeeze the brake lever (while ensuring the reservoir is kept adequately filled) and evacuate the old fluid as I would any standard-type brake system?

Your knowledge and experienced input is appreciated.

no no no NO NO, STOP NOW!

You have 4 brake reservoirs. FOUR

here are the instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

17 pages in great detail. If you do not want to follow them then take to a dealer or get help

Rod

I installed Speed Bleeders on my '04 1150 RT brake calipers. I have read of some who wanted to put Speed Bleeders on the ABS unit but I would advise against that out of fear of damage to the ABS unit itself.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

speed bleeders on the calipers I do not feel do any good. Since it is power, fill the funnel, put on a clear hose. Pull or push on the lever or petal, crack the bleeder, watch the fluid in the funnel. When funnel just empty, close bleeder. Repeat as needed. Speed bleeder gains very little. Now on 3 fittings on the ABS, if you are brave, then they fain something. Nothing about this is hard, just a little fiddly.

Rod

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    no no no NO NO, STOP NOW!
    Ok, just want to be clear here. You seem to be saying that I shouldn't do this?

Message received, loud and clear.

If you run the internal reservoirs dry on the abs unit you can not ride until it is refilled. They are under the tank in the abs unit. I suppose, not planning to find out, that running it dry is not a good idea. With the right tools, bleeding is easy, a few steps but easy,

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    speed bleeders on the calipers I do not feel do any good. Since it is power, fill the funnel, put on a clear hose. Pull or push on the lever or petal, crack the bleeder, watch the fluid in the funnel. When funnel just empty, close bleeder. Repeat as needed. Speed bleeder gains very little. Now on 3 fittings on the ABS, if you are brave, then they fain something. Nothing about this is hard, just a little fiddly.

Rod
    With a speed bleeder, you don't have to open and close the bleed screw each time you open and close the lever or petal.
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    With a speed bleeder, you don't have to open and close the bleed screw each time you open and close the lever or petal.
    On the servo ABS they are useless, to flush/bleed the caliper circuits you use the funnel at the ABS unit basically just to expand the reservoir capacity and make it easy to see. With the key on pressing the lever engages the pump and when you open the bleeder fluid will flow in a continuous stream, YOU DO NOT PUMP IT!

Now for the lever circuits, yes you pump the levers if you do not have a vacuum bleeder.

That said a vacuum bleeder is simple and cheap to make take any stiff vessel, a glass mayonnaise or pickle jar will work ( I actually have a piece of ABS pipe with caps glued on)

Take the Jar and go buy some 1/4" vinyl tubing at the hardware store. Drill a couple holes in the cover and insert the tube, the inlet will extend toward the bottom of the jar. The vacuum side will just go into the cover. Next seal them up with some silicone calking and let it cure. (you can also use bigger hose for the vacuum source)

To use it, any vacuum source will work, even a vacuum cleaner (not as good as other sources), I now have a vacuum pump, but my other favorite source is just pull any vacuum line off the car/bike intake and start the engine, connect the other line (jar inlet) inlet to the bleeder and open it up and you no longer have to pump the lever. To use a vacuum cleaner you just need some duct tape to seal the big and little lines.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    On the servo ABS they are useless, to flush/bleed the caliper circuits you use the funnel at the ABS unit basically just to expand the reservoir capacity and make it easy to see. With the key on pressing the lever engages the pump and when you open the bleeder fluid will flow in a continuous stream, YOU DO NOT PUMP IT!

Now for the lever circuits, yes you pump the levers if you do not have a vacuum bleeder.

That said a vacuum bleeder is simple and cheap to make take any stiff vessel, a glass mayonnaise or pickle jar will work ( I actually have a piece of ABS pipe with caps glued on)

Take the Jar and go buy some 1/4" vinyl tubing at the hardware store. Drill a couple holes in the cover and insert the tube, the inlet will extend toward the bottom of the jar. The vacuum side will just go into the cover. Next seal them up with some silicone calking and let it cure. (you can also use bigger hose for the vacuum source)

To use it, any vacuum source will work, even a vacuum cleaner (not as good as other sources), I now have a vacuum pump, but my other favorite source is just pull any vacuum line off the car/bike intake and start the engine, connect the other line (jar inlet) inlet to the bleeder and open it up and you no longer have to pump the lever. To use a vacuum cleaner you just need some duct tape to seal the big and little lines.
    So, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I agree that with the servo pump speed bleeders on the calipers do not seem to help much. I can easily shut the bleeder while keeping the pump running. On the ABS unit, they could be a good deal, and a speed bleeder on the clutch is very useful. I use my mityvac to catch the fluid. Rod

I got a brake bleeding checklist by Dana Hager for these abs systems from somewhere and he's OK with me sharing it.
    It's surely helped me doing this procedure, as I can't remember what the proper sequence is.
    Just email me and I'll send it out.
    It's about 1.3 megs, so your server may not take it. Can't hurt to try, though.
    Last edited by jeff488; 10-30-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Left Coast Rider
    Thanks for everyone's responses. Having created brake fluid rain showers before (and paid the price for it ) I think I'll leave this to my trusty mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Thanks for everyone's responses. Having created brake fluid rain showers before (and paid the price for it ) I think I'll leave this to my trusty mechanic.
    Whata wuss....You Oil Head guys.....

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Whata wuss....You Oil Head guys.....
    What are YOU doing here? Aren't you a square head, I mean, hex head? Come back for some love and entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Darn! I thought after you had mastered this maintenance task, you could come down to the Hood Canal and do mine. Guess I'll have to go to my backup plan!

Cheers!

PS. I woulda bought you a beer, heck, maybe even two!
    Bill Johnston