Thread: R1100 RT Fan Running Nonstop

On the beach in Aptos, CA (80 mi south of SF)

R1100 RT Fan Running Nonstop

Bike: 2000 R1100RT 80K miles
    Run: Everyday for at least 25 freeway and street miles. Took a 3,000 mile tour of the Southwest last May.
    Problem: Started the bike in the morning yesterday and I heard what I'm guessing is the fan. Never heard the sound before. I shut it off and the fan continued to run even with the key off. It was the first ride of the day so it wasn't hot. The sound came from in front of the battery. It took me 20 minutes to get the fairings off and isolate the sound. I DC'd the battery to stop the noise.

The bike has an existing electrical problem that I'm guess is due to a faulty F4 7.5A relay as the turn indicators, motor to the windshield, and the horn are affected.

Questions:

Any ideas about the fan issue?
    And is the diagnosis of the F4 7.5A relay as the culprit in the electrical issue plausible?

I'm not a wrench (hence the 20 minutes to get the fairings off) but there are official BMW shops nearby as well as a couple of private shops that work on BMW's.

Thanks,
    Baz
    Barry 'Baz' Morris - On the Beach in Aptos, CA
    '01 F650GS - SOLD
    '99 R1100RT - Current
    Life on Two Wheels

Unless your R1100RT is/was a police bike it didn't leave the factory with a fan. So, assuming it has a fan and isn't a former police bike (RTP) the fan was added by somebody at sometime and how it was wired is anybody's guess.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Btw

Since you already have the side panels off, if in any doubt about the condition of the battery, now would be a good time to replace it.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi/2005 DR200SE aka Pennsy
    Yorktown, Va

strange.

fuel pump?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

The bike is an RT-P. If they came with a fan, is there any harm in removing it?
    The battery is less than a year old and hasn't show signs if dysfunction.
    See the attached picture for the location of where the noise appear to be originating.
    Thanks,
    Baz

Diagram from Manual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AptosBaz; 11-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    '01 F650GS - SOLD
    '99 R1100RT - Current
    Life on Two Wheels

That is your ABS pump

Your arrow is pointing to the brake ABS pump not any type of fan. If that's running you probably have a brake switch stuck open. Reconnect your battery and see if your brake light is on. If it is your ABS pump running you will want to get it fixed ASAP. Check both brake switches, chances are one of them is either out of adjustment, bent, broken or just covered in dirt and stuff that is making it stay activated.

When RT-P's go into civilian service, they are stripped of the Authority pieces. Since they will no longer have to deal with these machines, the departments' mechanics have no reason to be pristine with their removal of these items, resulting in possible headaches for the next owner.

This sounds like at least two separate issues, and previous posters are on the right track. The relay is a definite suspect, and examine both brake switches' mechanical action & associated wiring for intermittents & shorts. Also have to wonder about the thermostat switch (in the upper oil line) that controls the fan.

After you find the issues, the fan may come in handy later - instead of removing it, if you don't want to hassle its switch or a possible short somewhere else, maybe add a little switch on the bars to turn it on & off at will.

The problem is sticking relay contacts on the ABS module.
    Not an uncommon problem.
    You can tap it with a screwdriver handle to release but it will do it again.
    Should be replaced.
    This is a special relay with a 6 volt coil, do not sub with a 12v coil.
    This is to allow the system to reliably work in low voltage situations
    I have tried to source aftermarket but there are none in NA presently.
    This is what you need:
    Item 05 61 36 2 306 526 ABS MOTOR RELAY 0.09 1 $137.24ADD TO CART

The sticking contact problem is exacerbated by low battery voltage/capacity. Keeping a healthy battery minimizes this problem.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=04302013
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    After you find the issues, the fan may come in handy later - instead of removing it, if you don't want to hassle its switch or a possible short somewhere else, maybe add a little switch on the bars to turn it on & off at will.
    +1 Keep it.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

in our collective voice: One Hundred Thirty Seven Dollars for a friggin' RELAY???

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    in our collective voice: One Hundred Thirty Seven Dollars for a friggin' RELAY???
    Yep, its made by FAG and has an 80A rating.
    A couple of years ago I managed to buy some samples which needed mods to the contact tangs to work.
    When I wanted more they wanted me to buy a 500 piece special production run.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Thank You

Appreciate the help guys! Thanks for the guidance.
    '01 F650GS - SOLD
    '99 R1100RT - Current
    Life on Two Wheels