Thread: 95' R1100R steering damper replacement?

Question 95' R1100R steering damper replacement?

I noticed a 1" oil spot under the steering damper on my 1995 R1100R this morning.
    I looked at the fiche and Max Stratton wants $317.78
    Beemer Bone Yard is O.O.S.(out of stock)
    There is a internal circlip in the damper body to disassemble/reassemble it. But, I can't find any re-build parts for it.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Do a search. There is a thread that covered rebuilding the damper. I overhauled the damper on my '97 R1100R twice. I eventually did what some suggested and permanently removed it. Didn't seem to affect the handling.

I did a search prior to posting...

Quote Originally Posted by wildwillywah View Post
    Do a search. There is a thread that covered rebuilding the damper. I overhauled the damper on my '97 R1100R twice. I eventually did what some suggested and permanently removed it. Didn't seem to affect the handling.
    I did a search prior to posting.
    Then I went to ebay. Where I found alot of Chinese bling.
    The only time a damper is used is at/in High speed corners. Thats when I want it to work.

When rebuilding you'd wonder what the oil capacity specification is I'd think.

Part of the $300 for a new one from BMW buys you a 2 year warranty.

Eventually removed suggests lack of success rebuilding. The notion that BMW fits things that aren't needed is at best wishful thinking rationalizing not spending.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Not being the least bit helpful, but I was surprised that there was a steering stabilizer. I had just assumed the front suspension was about the same as on my RS. I was expecting to just see a different A arm when I looked at the parts list. I was really surprised to see a bearing instead of a ball joint where the top tree attaches to the frame + what looks like a joint of some sort where each stanchion tube attaches to the tree instead of the tubes being clamped in place. For some reason, BMW put a fair bit of effort into making the R / GS front end work different from the RS / RT / S.

Replaced my OEM with an adjustable one from HyperPro. Better quality, adjustable, and no history of locking in "full on" mode wehn it decides to stop operating. Price is nearly equivalent, iirc.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots