Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2009 12RT Don't Buy A Shorai Battery

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Now you know why I prefer not to be a beta tester- but hey I own BMWs anyway...

Not sure why anyone would mess with lithiums unless they really need to save weight for racing (and maybe if the bike has a backup kick starter)- when a very reliable AGM is available for a lot less. I'l believe they're ready for prime time after I see an OEM pick them for a road bike with similar starting requirements to the BMW boxer- which is no where near as easy to crank as any other bike motor in the garage. If a Japanese maker has issues with them, just imagine how fine all those Chinese versions must be.
    Funny you should mention beta testing. On another forum someone started a post on BMW quality issues:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82369

Or hear and see some of this for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

Chris is a riot, but he's right on. The sting in any rebuke is the truth.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Looks like HD owners got to beta test hydraulic clutches recently--something BMWs have had since the 1990s with no recalls or do not ride warnings. The referenced article, OTOH is overwrought at best. BMW sales remain on record pace. Buyers all fools it appears.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Looks like HD owners got to beta test hydraulic clutches recently--something BMWs have had since the 1990s with no recalls or do not ride warnings. The referenced article, OTOH is overwrought at best. BMW sales remain on record pace. Buyers all fools it appears.
    And HD owned up to it and fixed it pronto. They didn't blame the owner, something else or ignore it.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Funny you should mention beta testing. On another forum someone started a post on BMW quality issues:

Or hear and see some of this for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

His minor rant on the later wiring systems to me appears to be a reflection of his inability to understand them, and to use the features of them to simplify accessory wiring. Adding a simple accessory fuse-block like "FuzeBlock" - where it offers both switched and unswitched circuits takes all the wind out of that rant. The ever growing complexity of the wiring harnesses on BMWs that didn't use CanBus communications resulted in increasing failures of the wiring harness and ever growing problems with troubleshooting. The CanBus system FIXED that problem, and IMHO - made the systems more reliable, less trouble-prone and easier to troubleshoot if you invested in a GS-911. There have been problems with wonky switch-gear on the latest (Japanese design) controls - but that appears to be strictly a QC problem and not an engineering/design flaw.

He may be a riot - but that doesn't make him omniscient.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    His minor rant on the later wiring systems to me appears to be a reflection of his inability to understand them, and to use the features of them to simplify accessory wiring. Adding a simple accessory fuse-block like "FuzeBlock" - where it offers both switched and unswitched circuits takes all the wind out of that rant. The ever growing complexity of the wiring harnesses on BMWs that didn't use CanBus communications resulted in increasing failures of the wiring harness and ever growing problems with troubleshooting. The CanBus system FIXED that problem, and IMHO - made the systems more reliable, less trouble-prone and easier to troubleshoot if you invested in a GS-911. There have been problems with wonky switch-gear on the latest (Japanese design) controls - but that appears to be strictly a QC problem and not an engineering/design flaw.

And his rant wasn't only with wiring. He was pretty detailed and I bet you and he would agree on plenty. What I found most interesting is the idea that BMW corp will do some unusual things with the anticipation that BMW riders will buy anything with the roundel in spite of the problems and how BMW responds/deals with it or not in most cases. Of course it is his opinion, but for some reason I think he may be borne out from objective observation. I'd pay to see him open the big bike shows. He's a rip, but I imagine he doesn't get Christmas cards from BMW dealers or corporate.
    My Motorrad

So we have gone from the battery stinks to BMW bikes stink. I don't know if I should laugh or wonder why you still have a BMW?
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    So we have gone from the battery stinks to BMW bikes stink. I don't know if I should laugh or wonder why you still have a BMW?
    I am not a true believer in anything except death and taxes. Too much religion for me. I realize this is church here, but when I have to suspend disbelief, it's a problem.
    My Motorrad

Ponch, my post was not aimed at you. I just find the whole thing odd. Hundreds are happy with the Shorai and thousands are happy with their BMW's.
    If I didn't like my GS, I'd sell it and leave. I guess human nature doesn't alway allow a clean ending.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

I think Canbus appeared on cars as early as 1968. If after 40 or so years it came to a line of motorcycles it hardly seems novel. But tail lights are no longer round and carburetors are now considered quaint.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Ponch, my post was not aimed at you. I just find the whole thing odd. Hundreds are happy with the Shorai and thousands are happy with their BMW's.
    If I didn't like my GS, I'd sell it and leave. I guess human nature doesn't alway allow a clean ending.
    It does when one can afford it.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think Canbus appeared on cars as early as 1968. If after 40 or so years it came to a line of motorcycles it hardly seems novel. But tail lights are no longer round and carburetors are now considered quaint.
    1986 as a standard, but not widely used until later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
    My Motorrad

This may be the next-to-last post on this... I did buy a Shorai battery, so too late for me if it goes bad. Sold by an indepemdent mechanic...who rides a R1200R. So, my question to Oldpilot: What kind of charger did you use? I.E, did you use a Shorai charger? And, if you did, and since you're not going to buy another of the batteries...wanna sell the charger to me? I know, I know, too many qustions for one
    reponse...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Sounds like this guy just doesn't have an appreciation for fine German engineering.

1986 as a standard, but not widely used until later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
    '68, '86, one of those. At least I got the right digits, if not in the right order.

So it has been an SAE standard for 27 years now and BMW riders find it novel and troublesome. Sheesh!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    '68, '86, one of those. At least I got the right digits, if not in the right order.

So it has been an SAE standard for 27 years now and BMW riders find it novel and troublesome. Sheesh!
    I had to think what cars had computers back in 1968. My 1969 VW Fastback had one, but it was an analogue computer, so I got to thinking...I'd google it. 1983-86 means it's still been around awhile. I am kind of surprised they haven't moved on to other protocols that are faster/have more bandwidth as cars move a lot more data around, but hey, it works.
    My Motorrad