Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2009 12RT Don't Buy A Shorai Battery

The shorai is about 1/5 the weight of the battery it replaces. They are also a lot smaller. FWIW I have not used one. I don't use the popular Odyssey, either. No reason for either decision much more than the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    I am not familiar with the Shorai Lithium battery. Approximately how much lighter is it than an Odyssey battery that would fit the R12RT?
    The first time I looked at a Shorai battery I though it was a dummy they use for display, it felt like it had nothing inside. Then I learned that it was a real battery. The dealer told me they have warranted several already, and never an Odyssey battery. The parts manager did say it may have been their fault, because they never maintained (charged) them while they were in storage. He felt this may have caused them to fail early. I decided to go with the Odyssey battery on my R1200R.

Wayne

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's a risk buying a BMW car or bike in the USA--within the borders of just my state I can get myself farther from a BMW dealer than one can anywhere within Germany. .
    Well.....The BMW X3 and X5/X6 are made in the US of A. And the motorcycle dealer network In Germany has been thinned out also. From where I used to live, I have to go 60 miles now to reach a BMW motorcycle dealership. The closest one used to be 12 miles away.

I have a Shorai in my R1200GSA. About a year old now. Been working fine so far. I did make sure I got the highest power one they recommended. They used to spec a too small one, then upped the spec to the 18, then finally to the 21.

I have on in my DR650 also, but mainly because it holds a charge so long that I don't have to put it on a tender like I did before the night before a ride. It just starts up every time.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

I really like guys who are early adopters- keeps my risk level down and wrench turning to necessaries.
    Keep us posted on how they do for you with a short note every year or so..please.

Yeah, it's alway better to wait 5-10 years till they get the bugs out.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

A beating,yes;

The Shorai in our KLR'08 takes a beating, keeps on ticking. Its so light, we too thought whats up! Anyhow, many falls later and absolutely no service time or charging it, the battery is tough by our experience. Pricey, YES. MY GSA still uses BMW battery, which I know is not high on anybody's list either, but I'm getting good life from it. I'm just not sure I want to spend SO much again for the Shorai and not from what I read here, just so darn pricey!!! Too many options out there and most good. The Odesseys are way high priced too, I hear. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Not sure why anyone would mess with lithiums...
    Well, it's fun talking about them, anyway.

Oh, and Porsche has been offering a lithium ion battery in some of it's models for $1,700.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Yeah, it's alway better to wait 5-10 years till they get the bugs out.
    In that time we may have compact hydrogen fuel cell technology...just add water and go Folks will be saying " remember those pesky lithium batteries?"
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

So, I just found out that Walter Colebatch used a lithium battery in his BMW on the Sibirsky Extreme. Who'd a thunk it. .
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Ok guys, here's my Shorai story. I bought a 14ah Shorai for my Triumph Tiger. It had serious cranking issues when it got cold. I talked to the Shorai guy at one of those big MC shows. He said to call customer service because the got a shipment of batteries with bad boards. They sent me a new 18ah battery and a UPS ticket to send old one back. I got my 1200GS and put the 18aH battery in it. It worked ok but the cold weather was again an issue. Called them up again an they shipped me a 21ah battery which was discussed in several BMW forums as what was needed in a GS. Cost for everything was about $150 for the original battery. Not a cent of the shipping and upgrades. So far the battery fires up instantly or as close to instant any GS fires up. That includes several days down near 30 degrees and I never put it on a charger.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OLDPILOT View Post
    And yes, any chance I get to remove weight from a motorcycle sounds good to me, my 12RT is a heavy
    bike in my opinion.
    Can you explain this statement a bit? Compared to what is your R12RT heavy? It is a fully loaded sport tourer.

Depending on vintage and configuration:
    R12RT -- 600 lbs
    Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
    ST1300--660 lbs
    Yam FJR --650 pounds
    K16GT---700+ (guessing)
    K13GT --625+??

What sport tourer is out there that weighs less than an R12RT with similar capabilities?
    Sure, my CBR600RR for track is around 400 pounds but worthless on the street.
    For 200 pounds, you get a very flickable and capable sport tourer in the R12Rt package.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    Can you explain this statement a bit? Compared to what is your R12RT heavy? It is a fully loaded sport tourer.

R12RT -- 600 lbs
    Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
    ST1300--660 lbs
    Yam FJR --650 pounds
    K16GT---700+ (guessing)
    K13GT --625+??

What sport tourer is out there that weighs less than an R12RT with similar capabilities?
    For 200 pounds, you get a very flickable and capable sport tourer in the R12Rt package.
    Yep, what he said. Ever look what goes in those bags attached to the bike??? After going to a whole bunch of rallies, methinks a whole bunch of riders could shave weight off their touring package by not taking so many trips to the salad bar
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post

R12RT -- 600 lbs
    Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
    ST1300--660 lbs
    Yam FJR --650 pounds
    K16GT---700+ (guessing)
    K13GT --625+??

I had an RT and now have an R and a FJR (627 lbs.). The FJR is to me much easier to ride than the RT . It carries it's weight lower, handles better and is quicker throughout the entire power band. Guess light is relative. My R is more nimble than the FJR or the RT. While it doesn't have the raw power of the FJR, it could out pace either of the other bikes on a very twisty road.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Love the way all jumped on the heavy bike post. He didn't compare it to anything, just said it was a heavy bike. I thought so as well back in '04 and ordered one of the first 12GS's partially due to wanting a lighter bike. I don't miss the 125 lbs I left behind. On my 7th 12GS now and wish they were lighter. Tried the 800GS and didn't like it so sticking with my 12GS.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't