Thread: 2002 F650GS fuses

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

2002 F650GS fuses

I am looking over my new-to-me F650GS and pull the cover off the fuse box. No fuse in the 2n(or 3rd?) slot! I don't have the manual and am looking at a wiring diagram I found on the net and it seems it may go to the Load Relief Relay if slot 2? Whassat? Or if it is fuse 3 it goes to the fan? apparently it is numbered from the top down so the missing fuse is #3 and goes to the FAN- should I just replace it and see what it does?

I can trace those things but wonder which the top fuse is #! or #4? BTW the top fuse is a 20 A. Perhaps goes to the AUX outlet?
    The top fuse is #1 and goes to the Motronic

In the picture there is a wire that terminates near the fuse box, has a 7.5 A fuse in it and a slotted side to mount somewhere but is zip tied to the frame. Is this normal? what is it for?

Fuses.jpg
    Last edited by rdhudson; 11-30-2013 at 03:41 AM. Reason: screwed with picture and added bold comments
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Hope this helps

Base on the technical manual and research that I did, I believe that you maybe missing a 7.5A fuse but it may depend for what country the bike was made for. My wife's bike doesn't have one either, she has a Canadian spec model yet on the wife's bike I am very sure the fan works.

According to the shop manual it says that there should be one for the fan, the wiring diagram also shows one and MAX BMW online parts calls for 2 X 7.5A fuses.

Easy test you can do to see if you need one or not is warm up the bike and wait to see if the fan will start, should not take to long once the coolant gets hot.

Below is a copy/paste from shop book.
    1 BMS Compact ........................................... 20 A
    2 Headlight, brake light, turn indicators, horn .................................................. ......... 15 A
    3 Fan............................................... ............. 7.5 A
    4 Heated handlebar grips ............................. 7.5 A

I was able to download the shop manual in PDF format (can't remember where), the site f650.com has a lot of go info as well

I can email you the wiring diagrams I have if you wish

Garry
    Last edited by GDW; 11-30-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

thanks Gary

I think I am beginning to understand what the situation is. I do have the BMW repair manual in PDF and the wiring diagrams in PDF from a link on the F650.com site. Your comment that another bike is missing the same fuse (Canadian) is interesting. I plan to check the fan tomorrow when I ride it. If the fan works I can pull the additional 7.5A fuse you can see in the bottom of the picture and then all may become clear.
    Thanks

Added later.... WayneC over on the F650 forum helped and I also found this so now I know....
    there is no #3 fuse on the 2002 F650GS, The fan is controlled by the BMS-C (engine management computer) and fused through its 20 amp circuit #1, the "extra" fuse goes to the Aux. outlet on the left side of the bike,
    I hope this is now clear
    Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rdhudson; 12-02-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.