Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New "I" pad / phones

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    and yet from my personal experience/observation, it's the 40-60 year old people I work with who are absolutely glued to theirs all hours of the day.
    I don't know. My last few years working I learned if I needed to get in touch with an off duty staff under the age or 30, don't call, don't email, just text and I would get a response within minutes.

An Advantage to Texting Over Calling

Ringing phones (or buzzing, or singing, or thumping, or whatever your phone does) seems to cause anxiety in folks. Hard to ignore and most people, myself included, seem to immediately jump to get the thing before it rings/buzzes/sings/thumps/whatever, one more time. I have found that the reaction of users is WAY more irritating to me than the actual phone itself. So ... I set my phone to silent mode and try to only use texting. That way I can read and respond at MY convenience, not the caller's convenience. Folks call once or twice, and when they cannot reach me, they either give up (wasn't important anyway?) or they text me. If they leave a voice message I ignore it. Did not take me long to train all my friends/family to use text more and phone less.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

The advantage of text and email over phone calls is you can make them less intrusive to YOU. I can look at a text (or not), or read an email, and then decide if/when to deal with it.

With a phone call I can ignore it and it might go to voice mail, or it might not. And I might think it ought to be dealt with right away but to know for sure I have to answer the phone. And checking a text is much easier than checking voice mail.

However, cell phones don't work at our house. We have to go 25 miles south or 50 miles north to have cell phone coverage. But it is handy when we travel, except even then it isn't turned on while we are riding. It gets checked once or twice a day when we are on the road.

I carry it when traveling for my convenience - not anybody else's. It is handy to check radar, to check the weather forecast, to call a campground or motel, etc.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Why is America seemingly obsessed , first with communication & second with having the latest & greatest [in] communication ? It seems every six months the newest , latest, greatest, is introduced and there is a flurry to obtain one. I don't get it? I'm not that important, & would not want to be...
    Interesting skewer of America. In the recent iPad announcement there were over 20 countries listed in the immediate roll out zone and they had a special shout out to China. This isn't American consumerism run amok. It is a world wide trend.

The modern smart phone has replaced the phone, pager, GPS, mp3 player, camera, note book, FM radio, in many cases computer, and so much more. The device is $500 of replace nearly $10K of equipment. Often for a subsidized price. The modern phablet can replace most technology in your life, and since the advent of cloud storage and ubiquitous connectivity you get along quite well. I have... get this... 16TB of cloud based storage at my house. That's not a mistake or typo. I run my own cloud services and they are legion. But it makes my life easier to have things digitized.

My nearing 80 year old dad has an iPhone. I was going to say he isn't much a princess texting or a self obsessed bazillionaire wanting the latest and greatest. But, I'll tease him later about that. His phone isn't the newest (iPhone 3GS) but the new phones means he'll move up to a 4S as he doesn't like the size of the 5. My nearing 80 year old mom had an iPad but hated it. She went back to using a Kindle Paperwhite. It is very basic. Her phone is an OLD Samsung flip phone. She doesn't want one but she'll likely get a new iPhone this year. I provide and manage all their tech and I make sure what they need and want as needs are met. It isn't easy.

The fact is that much of this is different strokes for different folks. I ride one brand and kind of motorcycle because I like it. I don't justify it. When somebody says I'm a self absorbed slob of a BMW jerkophile for merely owning a teutonic metal mayhem motorcycle I grin, flip them off, and ride away happy. Pretty much the same thing with tech. I own technology because it makes my life easier, better, more fun, and generally more enjoyable. Pretty much the same reason I ride motorcycles.
    ------------------
    Sam Liles
    Candidate for BMWMOA BOD
    selil.com

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I have the iPhone 4S. I consider it a pocket-sized computer that can make phone calls. I'm still working and am constantly amazed at the functions available on this small device. I just wish Verizon had GSM so I could escape AT&T. If all I needed was to be able to make a call, I'd agree. The smart phone is here to stay. At the moment, my 4S is smart enough for me.
    Come to Canada and buy an iPhone outright from Apple that is unlocked and works on any networks (GSM or CDMA based - now both types of networks are updated to and use SIM, or similar, cards).

My wife and I both have unlocked 4s iPhones and swap sim cards when we go to other countries, i.e. USA or Germany for instance. Then we get a pay as you go SIM card for that country. Waaaaaaaaay cheaper cell service doing that.

These are the carrier specs for each of the models from the www.apple.ca site for iPhone 5s

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    The modern smart phone has replaced the phone, pager, GPS, mp3 player, camera, note book, FM radio, in many cases computer, and so much more. The device is $500 of replace nearly $10K of equipment. Often for a subsidized price. The modern phablet can replace most technology in your life, and since the advent of cloud storage and ubiquitous connectivity you get along quite well. I have... get this... 16TB of cloud based storage at my house. That's not a mistake or typo. I run my own cloud services and they are legion. But it makes my life easier to have things digitized.
    Yes, all of that, as long as, you buy the supporting phone/data plan at ~$100 per month. You buy the GPS at $200 with lifetime maps and traffic or a point-in-shoot camera at $150.....then you're done with the cost.
    Last edited by 36654; 10-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Interesting skewer of America. In the recent iPad announcement there were over 20 countries listed in the immediate roll out zone and they had a special shout out to China. This isn't American consumerism run amok. It is a world wide trend.

My nearing 80 year old dad has an iPhone. I was going to say he isn't much a princess texting or a self obsessed bazillionaire wanting the latest and greatest. But, I'll tease him later about that. His phone isn't the newest (iPhone 3GS) but the new phones means he'll move up to a 4S as he doesn't like the size of the 5. My nearing 80 year old mom had an iPad but hated it. She went back to using a Kindle Paperwhite. It is very basic. Her phone is an OLD Samsung flip phone. She doesn't want one but she'll likely get a new iPhone this year. I provide and manage all their tech and I make sure what they need and want as needs are met. It isn't easy.

The fact is that much of this is different strokes for different folks. I ride one brand and kind of motorcycle because I like it. I don't justify it. When somebody says I'm a self absorbed slob of a BMW jerkophile for merely owning a teutonic metal mayhem motorcycle I grin, flip them off, and ride away happy. Pretty much the same thing with tech. I own technology because it makes my life easier, better, more fun, and generally more enjoyable. Pretty much the same reason I ride motorcycles.

My post / question was not meant to 'skewer' anyone. And being a 'techno-caveman' I admit to not knowing the phenomenon was world wide. It just amazes me that people will line up @ midnight and camp in cold weather to acquire the latest phone. tablet, whatever, when the old one they already have is less than one year old??

And I certainly was not besmirching your parents & or anyone like them. They raised a son whom it appears looks after them. They have my respect right there....

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Come to Canada and buy an iPhone outright from Apple that is unlocked and works on any networks (GSM or CDMA based - now both types of networks are updated to and use SIM, or similar, cards).

My wife and I both have unlocked 4s iPhones and swap sim cards when we go to other countries, i.e. USA or Germany for instance. Then we get a pay as you go SIM card for that country. Waaaaaaaaay cheaper cell service doing that.
    I am off-contract and can unlock my AT&T iPhone4S which will allow me to use sim cards from other carriers in other countries but not sim cards from other US carriers. That may be why you're able to use sim cards in the US that I can't. Apparently, even unlocked, the original carrier controls what networks the phone can use.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I don't know. My last few years working I learned if I needed to get in touch with an off duty staff under the age or 30, don't call, don't email, just text and I would get a response within minutes.
    I work in a cubicle farm and nearly daily, someone twice my age blasts around a corner with their eyes glued to their cell phone. Doing my best Cirque de Soleil impression, I contort my body around/under/over them as to not collide.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    It just amazes me that people will line up @ midnight and camp in cold weather to acquire the latest phone. tablet, whatever, when the old one they already have is less than one year old??
    Or concert tickets, or sporting event tickets, or at the doors of a big box store the Friday after Thansgiving to buy a Barbie doll, a TV set, or whatever else somebody has convinced folks they have to have and have right now. Every year we read about a few fist fights or worse over some trinket or toy.

And we get on waiting lists for new model motorcycles that soon sit unsold, and some even discounted on showroom floors. But we have to be first.

The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you!

The next time anybody finds themself in such a line they should go find a mirror, take a hard look, and go home.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Or concert tickets, or sporting event tickets, or at the doors of a big box store the Friday after Thansgiving to buy a Barbie doll, a TV set, or whatever else somebody has convinced folks they have to have and have right now. Every year we read about a few fist fights or worse over some trinket or toy.

And we get on waiting lists for new model motorcycles that soon sit unsold, and some even discounted on showroom floors. But we have to be first.

The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you!

The next time anybody finds themself in such a line they should go find a mirror, take a hard look, and go home.

I forgot all about the 'store' incidents .

Good point and very well stated!

P.S....heard that this year the stores are opening Thanksgiving Day [evening] !! As opposed to just after midnight. It is getting way outta hand.

But if someone enjoys it? feels the need to do it ?.....so be it.

Having the most fun with stuff that is decades old, is the good life. Gardening comes to mind. Old bikes that can zoom past eighty in forth while gathering steam, and, oh yah, turning on old cell phone with no messages. Only tappatalk I had was with my son, with my shoe on the floor, while delivering a needed lecture. Taken from the old fable of the fox and the grapes, if I remember correctly.

Seeking Mental Floss
    My iPhone 4S has all my photos, all my music, my calendar (and, hence my schedule in retirement - which is so much busier than simply going to the office daily) and the occasional connection to the internet. Bluetooth to my car, etc. That, plus email and text messages is all I need. I will eventually move up. No pressure felt to do so. Got to admit, though, the technology is pretty neat, and keeps getting neater!

Hugh
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    +1

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    BMW MOA Treasurer, Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Cowboyatheart
    The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you.
    This statement is a generalization, and as with all generalizations, is true only some of the time.

The fist fights etc that Paul describes are truly stupid or insane, IMO.

However, some folks love technology and the advances, however incremental, they bring to their lives. Worthless changes to some, priceless to others.

Same as bike choices. I am not a fan of cruiser style sitting and don't understand why anyone would ride that style of bike, and it totally baffles me why anyone would get on a bike without ATGATT, even if it is a ride around the block. Does that make me an idiot, worthless or other? Or just different from you?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO