Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not earthshaking importance...

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Best BMW ad ever.
    Forget the bike... who is their travel agent?!?!
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Will BMW listen to enough of us if we complain about not getting bright easy-to-see-in-poor-light-conditions colors? Seems to me we can gripe and whine all we want, but as long as we buy all the gray/blue/silver/black bikes BMW makes, they will continue to ignore us. What is the best way for us to let the company know we REALLY want bright colors? is there a specific corporate office/division to which we can start an email campaign?

BTW, car manufacturers for years have pumped the BS into all of us by claiming that "studies" show clearly that buyers want silver and white and black cars. But what has really happened, IMO, is that car manufacturers have been creating the color demand by making mostly silver and white cars, so of course that is what has been the best sellers. Most folks will buy what is immediately available rather than special order and wait for some period of time. Same goes for motorcycles I believe, at least in my personal case that is true.
    Geez, what isn't a conspiracy theory?

Really, BMW sales are at all-time highs because BMW is forcing their will on their customers?

But never fear, someone else will post another BMW conspiracy theory here by next week.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The vast automotive and motorcycle conspiracy is centered around a desire to make money.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Indeed it is so you listen to customers and give them what they want.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Nutfarm
    Ford Paints it's hot rod Focus ST bright red, it's very cool.

I once had a K100RS I painted Ferrari red, it got a lot of looks.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Geez, what isn't a conspiracy theory?

Really, BMW sales are at all-time highs because BMW is forcing their will on their customers?

But never fear, someone else will post another BMW conspiracy theory here by next week.
    Kent,

I don't know why BMW sales are at an all time high, certainly not because BMW is forcing anything on anybody, but you do not know how many more units they could have sold if they offered additional color choice.

What BMW does force on their customers are terrible seats. Of course, the aftermarket seat guys sell a lot of merchandise because of it.

Corbin, Sargent, Russell, The Meyer brothers, Kontour and others make money ONLY because BMW stock seat suck.

Hardly anyone says "I love my stock seat". It is often the first thing changed when a owner takes delivery.

Even Jeff Dean, renowned BMW expert and collector rode home from the dealer and ordered a seat for his new R 1200 RT.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I don't know about that. My R11RS has a stock seat. Come to think about it ALL of my bikes have stock seats.

And I dare say I've ridden a few more miles than Jeff

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I've had a stock seat on 4 out of the last 5 beemers owned. I have had a sheepskin pad on the last two, though. Does that still count as stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I don't know about that. My R11RS has a stock seat. Come to think about it ALL of my bikes have stock seats.

And I dare say I've ridden a few more miles than Jeff

Voni
    sMiling
    No quarrel with you.

Only saying that it is well known that many riders don't like the stock seats. I've never had a stock seat that worked for me and I didn't need to ride a million miles to find that out. After a few hundred miles either your butt hurts or it doesn't. I put on a Kontour seat right before riding from Cheyenne to Redmond and didn't even think about the seat or my butt. Previously, on the same bike with a stock seat, my butt hurt after 400 miles. The only change was the seat.

Of course, each aftermarket seat is different, what works for me may not work for you. BTW I've owned RDL, Sargent and Corbin seats as well. None of them worked as well for me as the Kontour.

YMDV

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I've had a stock seat on 4 out of the last 5 beemers owned. I have had a sheepskin pad on the last two, though. Does that still count as stock?
    If I send off my stock seat to Kontour and they rebuild it, is it still stock?

If the stock seat was good why would you need a sheepskin pad.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    If the stock seat was good why would you need a sheepskin pad.
    By that measure no seat is good as I've used sheepskin pads on after market seats, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    By that measure no seat is good as I've used sheepskin pads on after market seats, too.
    Did the aftermarket seats come with bikes you bought or did you buy the seats separately?

I've never tried a sheepskin pad. What do you do when it rains?

Kontour seat: Gas tank and bladder become limiting factor, not the butt. Cool in the heat (airflow !!!) dry in the rain, and a pleasure to ride on all day, any day.

Did the aftermarket seats come with bikes you bought or did you buy the seats separately?

I ordered my Kontour shortly after buying the RT. Some used bikes can be purchased with aftermarket seats. My R1200R was traded with a Rick Mayer seat so somebody was spared the horror of the stock seat.

Photos and report here:
    http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...l=1#post151976

I tried an Alaska Leather sheepskin. It made the stock R1200R seat go from a 1-hour max ride to about a 3-hour ride. After the Sheepskin experiment, the Rick Mayer seat made for a comfortable seat on the RR. The problem with leather seats is that you absolutely have to have a rain cover for them too. Plus you have to maintain them with leather treatment or they will quickly dry out and look bad.

If you get rain with a sheepskin, it is going to get squishy wet, no way around that problem unless you wrap it in some kind of rain cover.
    Last edited by ka5ysy; 10-28-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Kent,

I don't know why BMW sales are at an all time high, certainly not because BMW is forcing anything on anybody, but you do not know how many more units they could have sold if they offered additional color choice.

What BMW does force on their customers are terrible seats. Of course, the aftermarket seat guys sell a lot of merchandise because of it.

Corbin, Sargent, Russell, The Meyer brothers, Kontour and others make money ONLY because BMW stock seat suck.

Hardly anyone says "I love my stock seat". It is often the first thing changed when a owner takes delivery.

Even Jeff Dean, renowned BMW expert and collector rode home from the dealer and ordered a seat for his new R 1200 RT.
    It is well known that many "experts" have "marshmellow" butts.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Bought separately. A Corbin a long time ago and a Sargent a medium time ago. I didn't use it on the Sargent very long, though. Part of that was because the sheepskin was cheapish and falling apart. The Alaska Leather sheepskin I've on my GS hasn't suffered from that failure.

Mostly nothing. That is I keep riding the bike. If the sheepskin has been soaking in the rain on a parked bike for hours I might temporarily remove it. Otherwise it can feel like sitting on a sponge. For some reason it doesn't feel that way when riding the bike in the rain for hours. Maybe it's because it gets wet slowly.

It's not for everyone. Ditto beads. I tried beads a long time ago and lasted about 5 minutes before returning then to their owner. Several friends prefer the airhawk to a sheepskin.