Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "S" fairing

"S" fairing

Has anyone ever put an Airhead -"S" fairing on an Oilhead ? Just curious as what it might look like ? and how difficult it would be ? Sometime back I 'heard' of a guy installing an Airhead "RS" fairing on a naked Roadster, but never heard anymore about it, or have seen any pictures.

Sure sign winter is coming....my mind starts to wonder....

No longer a member here
    What Oilhead model?
    The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    What Oilhead model?
    The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

I understand, have done several similar projects. Just not this particular match. And no I would not 'cobble' up an original . As you noted, too many look-a-likes out there. I was just wondering if anyone out there had [actually] done it? Or! seen one that had been done?

The "S" fairing goes around the headlight, where as the "RS" replaces it. I'm sure it could be worked out & look nice with either. Myself, more interested in just the "S" . Never know I might get antcy this winter....

Recall seeing somewhere (R1150R.net perhaps?) an updated version of an S based on an 1150R. Even had a replica sort of black/silver smoked paint job. IMHO, it was a great sort of modern tribute bike.

Cheers! Bill J
    Bill Johnston

RS fairing, yes. S, no.

Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Here's one for a 1200R. Sourcing the detail bits could be "challenging".

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...01314-437.html

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Saw this at the National Rally in Salem. Proof that with imagination, perseverance and money anything is possible.

DSC06932.JPG

DSC06931.JPG
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    RS fairing, yes. S, no.

In that shot, that looks decent. On an 1150R 'Roadster' the oil coolers may be a problem. Not something I'll rush into, but keep it mind. I still favor the "S" which I'm sure would be easier to fab-up.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Proof that with imagination, perseverance, money, and an absence of good taste, anything is possible.....

Made a slight edit to your statement.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I wasn't gonna go there. To each his own, that sort of thing ya know... but yeah, I hear ya. I have to admit my first reaction was dismay. But then I took a closer look at the effort that went into it. That's a lot of work there for sure.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    But then..."one man's junk, is another's absence of taste"...right?

Or, am I mixing my metaphors, again...?

Note to self: Cut back on the Wild Turkey.
    Bill Johnston

I've got an Airtech on order, and a paint shop lined up. They have basically modified an S fairing to fit the R1100r. They are built when you order them, so they take a couple of months. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...8-04.htm#price

Quote Originally Posted by hookembevo View Post
    I've got an Airtech on order, and a paint shop lined up. They have basically modified an S fairing to fit the R1100r. They are built when you order them, so they take a couple of months. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...8-04.htm#price

Please do, I would be very interested. I put in an inquiry to Boxer-Cafe...am awaiting a response.

Airtech finally installed

Here is the picture as promised. Install was really not a big deal. Total outlay for mounting materials outside of what came in the box was about 4 bucks. It's secure and the perfect height to put the wind right over the shoulders. Airtech makes a real quality product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT
    2013 F800R