Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 75/6 Carb damage question

Thanks Snowbum for the technical info on the pickup tube. (and for ALL the info on your site which helps tremendously)
    FYI these carbs are 64/32/ 9 & 10 - so they are very early /6 carbs. Bing book actually attributes them to /5.

I called Bing yesterday and they will replace the brass tube for $50 if I send it in. I think I will go with this, as I don't trust myself to solder repair the tube w/o f-ing it up worse or soldering it shut. And I have plenty of other stuff to work on now (rear main seal, push rod tube seals, drive shaft leak). I'm still a beginning wrench, and replacing 'o' rings is about as far as I want to go into the depths of carburetor repair!

thanks all
    Kat

A very wise decision Bud...........Besides the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"............."Don't jump in the water if you don't know how deep it is" really does apply..................What has always bothered me about your situation that you describe is the lack of knowledge on if the bike even runs and how good...........Besides the split in the tube is the bend or off-center situation as it sits in the hole...........Would be good to know if the tube is even open for flow.
    For my money, lol......and it is yours......you are really doing the best thing.............God bless......Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by katcon85 View Post
    I calleded Bing yesterday and they will replace the brass tube for $50 if I send it in.

thanks all
    Kat
    Dennis D' has given you good advice here. However, if you have decided to send the carburetor to them, (Bing) you have NOTHING TO LOSE, other than a few days lag time, to give the solder job a try.

I was once scared to try to fix my own bikes. After a huge bill from an independent shop, decided that the worst I could do was have to take a bike (or part) somewhere after I screwed up. That was 20 years ago.

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by katcon85 View Post
    these carbs are 64/32/ 9 & 10 - so they are very early /6 carbs. Bing book actually attributes them to /5.

I called Bing yesterday and they will replace the brass tube for $50 if I send it in.
    My problem was on the same set of carbs for the same year/model bike. It was only in July that Bing told me they'd do it for $28, so I can't imagine why the price increased 78%. Maybe ask them for a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    Dennis D' has given you good advice here. However, if you have decided to send the carburetor to them, (Bing) you have NOTHING TO LOSE, other than a few days lag time, to give the solder job a try.

I was once scared to try to fix my own bikes. After a huge bill from an independent shop, decided that the worst I could do was have to take a bike (or part) somewhere after I screwed up. That was 20 years ago.
    +1