Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R1200RT Tank Bag

bkwags

R1200RT Tank Bag

I am in the market for a tank bag that will fit my 2005 RT. Went to the Beemer shop and dropped my jaw when I saw a $350 price tag on the bag. I only take an occasional trip, like once or twice a year so I am bit reluctant to fork over that kind of struedel. I will admit they have a pretty trip set up.

Does anyone have a used one they are willing to part with or advice on an aftermarket brand worth considering. The bike has 45,000 miles and still looks new. I don't want to scratch the paint on the tank.

Maybe $350 is not so much after all???

Retired User
    Try posting in the Flea Market under THINGS WANTED. You never know....
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

I looked for an alternate tank bag a few years back. After a couple of weeks of comparing options, I just decided to fork over the money for a bag which was already specifically designed to work with and for the RT.

I've had a couple of years to get over the dollar shock and looking back, I believe I made the right choice. (I too only take an occasional trip - once or twice per year.)

If you can find a used one for less, don't hesitate to grab it.

It's a very well designed and made item. If you really want sticker shock just come and price your items in Canada and do not forget to add the tax (HST-federal and provincial sales tax combined).
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Thumbs up Touratech streetline flat tank bag

I purchased the Touratech Flat tank bag last year and have been very happy with it. It is a quality piece with a great RT specific attachment design. It easily pivots back for fueling and fits the tank contour perfectly. It isn't the largest bag but it works well for my needs. Plenty of room for wallet, cell phone, camera, extra gloves, maps, ear plugs and other items you need easy access to. It quickly detaches from the bike with a handy carry handle. When away from the bike it easily fits into the top case to be secured.The best part is the price is competitive for the quality you get. I have had a few riders inquire about the tank bag when on the road. They liked how it fits and looks on the bike. It fits the width of the tank rails perfectly. I took a small microfiber towel and fold it to fit between the rails. This prevents any paint contact and proves to be handy when cleaning the windshield at fuel stops. No tank scratches since I bought the bag.

http://www.streetline-usa.com/Store/...or-BMW-R1200RT

It's worth a look.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

I'm pretty sure I paid about $299 for mine and it is WAY overpriced. But, it works flawlessly. It's now my "man purse" and I use it on every trip. It will also fit into one of the side cases so on a short trip around town I lock it in there if needed.

When the time comes that the bag is no longer usable, I'll re-use the base and glue on an aftermarket bag to the base. It is so easy and convenient.

I've seen them at Beemer Boneyard and Ebay also, so look there. Again, it is way overpriced but dang, I just love mine and am glad I went with it these last 4.5 years.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Went non OEM

I just wanted a small... very small tank bag. The BMW snaps on and off in an awesome way but 1) it is too big for me and 2) cost too much. Reason #1 was the main reason I went with the Touratech Flat. It fits just right on the tank rails and still comes off the bike in seconds. It's very well made and looks right on the bike. I am putting a cable port on it soon because there is where I have my iPod and charger for my phone. Right now I am passing the cables thru the zipper opening.

tsp
    2010 R1200RT

I purchased my RT used and the BMW tank bag was included. Way to big and cumbersome for me. I removed the bag from the plate and mounted a Cortech Super Mini on the plate. Works great for the basic essentials and still retains the easy removal and installation of the bag.
    Marty
    O6 RT, 03 F650GS

Ute's Chauffeur
    Even on my long trips my Touratech bag is all I need. I didn't want (nor need) the bulk of the BMW bag. Another interesting looking option is customtankbags.com.

BMW RT tank bag

I researched the heck out of RT tank bag options and ended up buying an as-new BMW bag via an online forum for around $125. Used it on a 3500 mile 2-up trip recently and was very happy with it. Very convenient one-handed removal/mounting from the rail (even fully loaded), 2 expansion zippers for huge capacity when needed, nice setup. Zipped down to smallest size, its very unobtrusive. Even fully expanded, it does not block my line of sight to instruments. Turning handlebars lock to lock, it doesn't touch any handlebar controls thereby inadvertently activating a turn signal, etc. Find a good used one (preferably without yellowed map compartment) and be happy!
    '08 R1200RT
    '86 Yamaha XT350 (still thumpin')
    '85 K100 (gone)
    '70.5 R75/5 (first 100k, long gone)

Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    I have a new, never used Big Mak Retro tank bag. It connects to the R12RT BMW bag base. You can see it here http://bigmakaccess.com/newr12rtretrobag.html
    It is for sale. PM me if interested for details and pictures.
    Mike
    I also got a Big Mak tank bag and love it. See this post: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46426
    Chad
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2008 KTM XCW(e)-300
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition

R1200RT Tank Bag

I added the R1200RT Tank Bag to the original purchase price of my new 2009 R1200RT. I love the tank bag, it works perfectly, holds a lot of stuff and I really like that the map case top is really close to my face when I'm riding. I'm probably one of the last hold outs on adding a GPS, so I love having the map so close to my eyes.
    I balked at the price originally too, but with the way the system is set up for it and the quality of the bag, it's worth it. I hope not to be replacing it any time soon. Good luck with your choice, but as you can see, I'm an original equipment guy on this one. Don

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
    I am in the market for a tank bag that will fit my 2005 RT. Went to the Beemer shop and dropped my jaw when I saw a $350 price tag on the bag. I only take an occasional trip, like once or twice a year so I am bit reluctant to fork over that kind of struedel. I will admit they have a pretty trip set up.

Does anyone have a used one they are willing to part with or advice on an aftermarket brand worth considering. The bike has 45,000 miles and still looks new. I don't want to scratch the paint on the tank.

I went with this, and would replace it in a heartbeat.

Good Luck.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2342/451/
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

PlaneGeek
    I have the large Wunderlich bag and love it. Easy on, easy off. Plus when i go hiking to a hot spring or walking around town it makes a nice back pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bkwags View Post

I have an RKA 8.5 liter that I've used on my 92 R100, then on my 02 LT, then moved it to an 09 Vstrom. Works like a champ and nary a problem. Now I have a 2010 RT and the straps will actually touch the painted parts so it's a no go. I am going to purchase a Big Mak bag. MADE IN THE USA just like the RKA.