Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: /5 Clutch cable replacement

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I can't imagine riding without a clutch.
    It's probably something you should experiment with just to have this "tool" in your bag. Maybe consider practicing on an automobile first. It's all about matching speeds between the gears. Roll of the throttle to unload the gearing, gently ease up/down on the shifter and wait for the gears to engage. Done right there's no gnashing of teeth/dogs. During my long-ish trip to get to the dealer, I only to shift from a dead stop into first a couple of times because I didn't time the lights correctly in whatever small town I was passing through. I helped things a little by getting some rolling speed before engaging 1st. Still, it wasn't pretty but the other gears went very smoothly.

Interesting suggestions the previous post about tying off the cable somewhere. Another potential fix is to use a pair of vise grips to grab some of the strands that stick out and pull the inner cable for engaging the clutch. I believe Matt Parkhouse had a roadside "bodge" for this situation in his Keep 'Em Flying column in the past 5-7 years.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have mastered the shifting with no clutch on the upper gears by just practicing, in case I ever needed to use the procedure. But I have never done it from a stop in first gear starting out.

I have tried the vise-grips pulling on the inner cable strands, but for me couldn't get it to work.

One old-timer in our club said that what he did, was to "linger" around, pull into parking lots, etc. until he could be assured of a green light. When that wasn't feasible, he said that he would shut off the engine, and when the light turned green he would "start" up using the starter motor in first gear. I wouldn't like doing that, but I am not sure it is even possible as the bike must be in neutral to start the starting motor, I think.

In any case, I will take a spare cable and avoid the problem altogether. Since I already have a new one already (rather expensive considering all the shipping!), and it fits easily in my fairing.

When I raced motorcycles (while in high school) some of us would actually thread the extra cables right next to the existing cables so that in the case of a breakage, it would be just a matter of hooking up the ends and we were on our way!

JimmyLee

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    some of us would actually thread the extra cables right next to the existing cables so that in the case of a breakage, it would be just a matter of hooking up the ends and we were on our way!
    I never really understood how to do this. You have to protect the exposed ends of the cable with something. It would be just me luck that, when needed, my "protection" broke down years ago and the cable was FUBAR...and I'd still be stuck by the side of the road. Obviously, a spare cable takes absolutely little room in the bottom of a tank bag, side of a pannier, or even wound inside the headlight bucket. Seems like those would be better places.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I never really understood how to do this. You have to protect the exposed ends of the cable with something. It would be just me luck that, when needed, my "protection" broke down years ago and the cable was FUBAR...and I'd still be stuck by the side of the road. Obviously, a spare cable takes absolutely little room in the bottom of a tank bag, side of a pannier, or even wound inside the headlight bucket. Seems like those would be better places.
    You are correct that it is pretty easy to just coil them up and throw in a bag or fairing.

I did the parallel cable thing on the race bikes so that if the need arose, it could be "installed" in a matter of minutes.

The clutch cable is so easy to replace, that it isn't necessary as one can install in a matter of 5 minutes or so. On the highway, that't not too bad.

The throttle cables are a bit more work.