Thread: /5 Clutch cable replacement

Hybrid View

/5 Clutch cable replacement

I'm replacing the clutch cable on my /5. It has seen a lot of miles and this is just preventative maintenance.
    I'm OK with removing the end of the cable at the transmission end and understand how the adjustment works at the handlebar lever end. At this point all the tension is off the cable.

I don't see how to disconnect the end of the cable at the handlebar lever end. I see where the end of the cable goes into a fitting that seems to rotate and see what looks like the bottom of that fitting on the bottom of the lever.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to disconnect the cable at the lever end. I assume that is it is very simple but nothing comes to mind as I look at it.

Thanks
    Bob

You have to push the cable into the lever the opposite way as when you pull on the clutch cable. Once its far enough into the internal recess of the lever, the barrel will slip out of the bottom and come off the cable. Hard to explain, but basically the cable terminal end holds the barrel into the lever.

Bob -

Look closer at the underside of the handle perch. You should see a slot that is 90 degrees to the direction of the cable. The idea is that you get everything loose and rotate the cable so that the internal wire of the cable can walk out of that slot. Bob's Your Uncle!!

When adjusting the clutch, be sure and find the procedure the Resources and Links thread in my signature line.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Mine is a 72, and as far as I know, that system was used on all the /5 levers. If you were working on a /6 and up, the post from Kurt above would work.

picture, thousand words, etc.

the large diameter recess is what the end of the cable ferrule bears on (this side faces the inside of the lever). Disconnect the cable at the transmission which will allow you to push the cable through this ferrule and far enough into the lever that the cable will be able to slip out throught the opening at the end.

clutch barrel.jpg
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

There you go...another way that the /5 is different than /6/7. I wonder if this is how it works on my R69S? I don't think I've had that cable off yet. Hmmmm....
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Actually, on my /6 there is a slot in the housing for the cable to slip DOWN and then away from the hand grip/assembly. The barrel of course comes off and then as others have advised take the end of the cable out through the front.

MAKE SURE you replace the felt/cotton wadding on the end of the hole where the cable emerges from the assembly. One might put a bit of oil into that just to keep rain from entering.

For me, I use the method in the owner's manual, and have for perhaps 400k miles. Surely NOT to conflict with KURT whose method is surely worthwhile. For me, I just adjust the knurled adjuster in all the way up and the grip and then using a 10mm and 13mm down on the back of the transmission adjust the arm so there is 5mm or so of play in the lever arm.............Anyway, VERY useful method when out on the road and one does not have a bunch of measureing devices...............God bless.......Dennis

I think the cable end (removeable part) slides down out of the clutch lever, and then it rotates to come off of the cable itself. After removed, the cable then, can be pulled out through the hole where the adjuster threads into.

Be sure, when installing the new cable, that the part that goes into the clutch lever, MUST be clean & lubricated so that it can rotate in the lever when you pull the lever back. This feature keeps the cable itself from 'bending" and breaking after repeated use.

Hope this helps, as I am stating this from memory - I had to replace mine (cable broke where it was repeatedly bending due to the part not being lubricated in the lever) about 6 months ago.

Jimmylee