Thread: Luggage Mounting Brackets for an R65LS

Hybrid View

Luggage Mounting Brackets for an R65LS

Hi Gang,

I'm trying to locate a set of mounting brackets for my '82 R65LS but I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like.

The R60/5 came with a set of Krauser bags in good shape and mounts but this bike is LWB and R65 is SWB.

Any help appreciated! I did see some on Ebay but again, not sure what will work - also emailed flyingtpot.com as they advertise in airhead newsletter and sell racks for airheads.

Thanks!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Ken -

I'm not up on all the different variants of bags, but check this old brochure out from the Reynolds company. They indicate they have a rack for BMW bags. Something to consider...

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/reynolds/
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Ken...

I bought some Krausers a few years ago for my LWB /5 and they turned out to be for the R65; as it turned out the seller was unaware of the SWB/LWB situation and assumed they "would fit any BMW"

I took some shots for the seller so I could return them. Maybe they will help you out. They don't "fit-up" like the other airheads... the forward tab mount on the top of the passenger peg frame bracket. But knowing this maybe you can round up some more readily available LWB hardware, shorten the front legs, and rotate the front tab 90? when you graft it back on. CAKE!!! ... take ya twenty minutes... tops!!!

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

It has been a few days since I fooled with my wife's R65; but I surely could swear it was a different animal all together than the slash anything bikes. Was thinking a different frame, different accessories, all that stuff........I could be wrong; but........God bless.......Dennis

[QUOTE=lmo1131;902553]Ken...

I bought some Krausers a few years ago for my LWB /5 and they turned out to be for the R65; as it turned out the seller was unaware of the SWB/LWB situation and assumed they "would fit any BMW"]

Thanks for the compliment Lew but there's no way I could ever retrofit the racks in 20 minutes - maybe 20 years!

The picture you posted is just the mount I'd like to find - I put out a request on IBMWR and will find out if Bob's or another dealer might have them. My Krausers have the latch that hooks into the piece shown on your first picture - reminds me of the piece that mounts on a household door frame that catches the locking mechanism.

I'll post a picture of my bag & rack mount goes with the r60/5 - I'm hoping I can find a mount that will work the the Krausers as they're in pretty good shape
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Pictures show the krauser latched and unlatched into my existing frame for the bags but for the r60/5 which is a LWB model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5