Thread: powering heated gear from a megaboost battery-tender SAE plug?

powering heated gear from a megaboost battery-tender SAE plug?

hi all,

i use a megaboost battery tender which uses an SAE harness connected to the + and - battery terminals. is there a line of heated clothing that uses this same connection? i'd like to *not* need to connect another set of wires to the battery terminals... it's already getting crowded in that vicinity.

thanks in advance,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    hi all,

i use a megaboost battery tender which uses an SAE harness connected to the + and - battery terminals. is there a line of heated clothing that uses this same connection? i'd like to *not* need to connect another set of wires to the battery terminals... it's already getting crowded in that vicinity.

thanks in advance,

-eric
    I don't think so - any more - the coaxial just work better. But Warm and Safe and Powerlet both have adaptors for coax to SAE and vice versa.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't think so - any more - the coaxial just work better. But Warm and Safe and Powerlet both have adaptors for coax to SAE and vice versa.
    +1 on adapters -- there's no better way.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I've powered my tank bag with inlet and an SAE Powerlet outlet port on which I use a 3" SAE to coax adapter that runs my jacket.
    You can get them in various lengths and Powerlet will also make you any type of custom length adapter you might want if its not already in their extensive list. Call if you have trouble deciphering the website- it needs some fixing- but their service is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    Is there a line of heated clothing that uses this same connection?
    Tour Master has an adapter that goes from SAE to coaxial. I use this on my Tour Master heated jacket.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

i went over to revzill and bought a gerbing liner and gloves. it came with a battery harness with a coax plug. i also got an SAE / coax adaptor, to plug the SAE battery-tender plug into the SAE end, and the coax end into the coax plug on the battery harness.

my megaboost battery tender gave me a "reverse-polarity" inication, so i cut and reversed the two wires of the adaptor and now all is well. weird that i had to do that but it works now.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6