Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Heated seat swap 04 K1200GT

  1. #1
    Airhead Smitten
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    55

    Heated seat swap 04 K1200GT

    I am thinking about buying a Corbin heated seat for my 04 K1200GT. The seat is from an earlier K1200RS which I assume did not have the Cambus electrical system so the pigtail is different. Do yous guys know if it is as simple as retro fitting a new pigtail or is there something obscure I am not thinking of.

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by deilenberger; 10-09-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added year/model to title

  2. #2
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,703
    Hi Peter(?)

    Please review http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46057 - I'm adding that info to your thread title in the hope that someone with more knowledge or experience with your model bike may spot the thread. PLEASE do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by PETERKENZLER View Post
    I am thinking about buying a Corbin heated seat for my 04 K1200GT. The seat is from an earlier K1200RS which I assume did not have the Cambus electrical system so the pigtail is different. Do yous guys know if it is as simple as retro fitting a new pigtail or is there something obscure I am not thinking of.

    Thanks in advance
    my .02
    The "pigtail" or plug, is probably just whichever style Corbin or the prior owner of the seat chose to use.
    I was told that Sargent Seats, in the past anyway, were not allowed to use BMW OEM plugs on their seats.
    So if you purchased a Sargent, you had to improvise the connectors upon receipt.

    If your 2004 K1200GT still has the OEM connector for the heated seat you just need to buy the other half from BMW and splice it on to the Corbin pigtail.

    Or, just source a male and a female plug from Radio Shack or some such and splice them in place of, or in addition to, the existing connectors.

    d'milan

  4. #4
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,111
    Your '04 does not have a Canbus electrical system.
    One might 'assume' Corbin used BMW compatible wiring as the GT & RS used the same seats, though only the GT had the heat option. It's also possible Corbin offered a package for the RS with their own wiring / switch that wil be completely different.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  5. #5
    Airhead Smitten
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    55
    Thank you, I will buy the seat.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dmilan View Post
    my .02
    The "pigtail" or plug, is probably just whichever style Corbin or the prior owner of the seat chose to use.
    I was told that Sargent Seats, in the past anyway, were not allowed to use BMW OEM plugs on their seats.
    So if you purchased a Sargent, you had to improvise the connectors upon receipt.

    If your 2004 K1200GT still has the OEM connector for the heated seat you just need to buy the other half from BMW and splice it on to the Corbin pigtail.

    Or, just source a male and a female plug from Radio Shack or some such and splice them in place of, or in addition to, the existing connectors.

    d'milan
    Just bought an 04 with a Sargent seat and in which the heated seat function does not work. What improvise is needed?

  7. #7
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by pab3rd@att.net View Post
    Just bought an 04 with a Sargent seat and in which the heated seat function does not work. What improvise is needed?
    Welcome to the Forum!

    Just basic trouble shooting. Go to the seat connection and unplug it. Do you get voltage at the bike side of that connector when you turn on the switch?


    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  8. #8
    Kein Nasebohrer RBEmerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    138
    It might be the saddle heat element's failed. An ohmmeter across the plug from the saddle should something like 2-10 ohms ("some, but not much"). If all you see is the same as the meter leads not touching anything, the element's failed. If that checks out OK, then look for 12V on the plug going to the saddle. Remember to set the heat switch to "high" and have the ignition on (may need the engine running, too).
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

    Just basic trouble shooting. Go to the seat connection and unplug it. Do you get voltage at the bike side of that connector when you turn on the switch?



    Ah, I have a non electric heater seat. Which explains why did does not work. So good thing I live on the Gulf Coast and I can live without the heated seat.

  10. #10
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by pab3rd@att.net View Post
    Ah, I have a non electric heater seat. Which explains why did does not work. So good thing I live on the Gulf Coast and I can live without the heated seat.
    See, just basic troubleshooting.



    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •