Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Riding dissapointment

RK Ryder
    My first time on the Dragon, I had a couple on a Harley with a side car, moving way too slowly, always edging over the centre line, as well as his companions riding in front of them, going equally as slowly. Whenever I got close, I dropped my speed to a crawl until they were out of sight, but always managed to catch up with them. It was a Wednesday in early October, with no other traffic!!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

You were very wise... A couple of years ago I had a VERY similar experience on a rural road in Virginia; got behind a jeep pulling a trailer. I couldn't resist, so the first chance I got I passed him on a double yellow line and continued to enjoy the rest of the little ride. About 10 minutes later I was pulled over by a County Deputy shortly followed by the jeep/trailer showing up. The jeep driver was an off duty Deputy (he had a radio and had called ahead)... Short story, I was convicted of Careless & Reckless driving (even my lawyer was no help). This stays on my record for 11 years!
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnert View Post
    You were very wise... A couple of years ago I had a VERY similar experience on a rural road in Virginia; got behind a jeep pulling a trailer. I couldn't resist, so the first chance I got I passed him on a double yellow line and continued to enjoy the rest of the little ride. About 10 minutes later I was pulled over by a County Deputy shortly followed by the jeep/trailer showing up. The jeep driver was an off duty Deputy (he had a radio and had called ahead)... Short story, I was convicted of Careless & Reckless driving (even my lawyer was no help). This stays on my record for 11 years!
    same thing happened to 4 or 5 of my friends ion Rt 250 in VA, passed a slow poke and stopped for gas a little after and in rolled 2 cruisers, ticketed them all, with several charges. They did get out with training etc, after each paid a lawyer$700

Note to self, DO NOT STOP shortly after making a DY pass in VA.
    Last edited by pffog; 10-17-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Riding Dissapointment

Two options: I do both. Wait for a clear run (See the first half of Post #7) or pass on a double line. Passing on a double line has already been named. There should be a name for waiting for a clear road. There should also be passing zones for motorcycles, designated by 2 or 3 broken lines, where it it is obvious that a bike can pass safely.
    Charlie

Not sure of how relative, but in the summer of 2012 coming back from Sedalia, I encountered a string of bikes on a nice section of Hwy 7 in NW Arkansas. I had a dilemma in that I didn't have warp speed for passing and they didn't seem to want to accommodate me. We had a discussion about that here:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...sing-Etiquette
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I live in an area of mtn twisty roads. The straight stretches actually all have names(there are only a few) to further make my point.
    On the subject mentioned above, double yellow lines, here in KY on two lane hwys the lines often make no sense at all! Shame to have a huge fine,etc., when the lines seem to be where they shouldn't be & absent when they should be there??? I've wondered who decided to be stupid back when the paint & signs were done? We are talking hwy safety here, not just some itch I've got to complain! Near me are several spots that don't allow you to pass in what's a great place to do so, while other places it's allowed but not prudent place to do so as not long enough. As they say, go figure...
    Highway signage in general is sadly lacking as is the guard rail issue here too. Some places a slight curve with a curve sign, others a big curve & no sign. Deer signs sameo- the critters are all over but the signs are sporadic and maybe a waste of $$$ anyway? Guardrails here seem to be a "who has the contract" & needs to get a "political payback" as one spot has them & it's a shallow ditch while another is a deep ravine & yet none.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

The government has drones everywhere...........just call in a air strike
    Tim2