Thread: 2 Person Tent Suggestions

2 Person Tent Suggestions

Can I get suggestions on tents

Low cost,
    Well constructed
    Light weight
    Easy to assemble and take down

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    You need a three person tent for 2 people. Winter months are a good time to buy. Check REI, Campmor, EMS, and others. I like a free standing tent with two poles, tend to favor Eureka. Main thing is pack size. Not many tents have poles short enough to fit in a side case. Yeah, and get aluminum poles.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    You need a three person tent for 2 people. Winter months are a good time to buy. Check REI, Campmor, EMS, and others. I like a free standing tent with two poles, tend to favor Eureka. Main thing is pack size. Not many tents have poles short enough to fit in a side case. Yeah, and get aluminum poles.
    +1

Your requirements are:

Low cost,
    Well constructed
    Light weight
    Easy to assemble and take down

Unless you find a bargain on a used tent, your first requirement will be hard to meet.

Measure the largest bag on your bike and then try to find a tent with poles short enough it will fit. Very, very hard to do.

If you can't find one that will pack inside and have to strap it on the bike somewhere, then bigger is better. Room for your gear in addition to two people requires a 3 person tent at the very least.

Big Agnes tents meets three of your four requirements.

Good Luck

BTW I currently have 3 tents and only one will fit in my topcase. It's a 2 person with very little headroom.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I have a eureka backcountry that i like very much. keeps me dry and packs down to something like 5 x 15. Works great on the bike, even fits in a side case. I used to use the eureka timberline which is a great tent but the poles make it too long to fit in a side or top case. If you don't mind strapping gear on though, that tent is absolutely my all time favorite.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

We have found that a 3p tent for a long weekend with all our gear (and inclement weather) is small. We just got a 4p tent from Dick's for $100. It's a field and stream, go figure! It is big, high enough to almost stand inside, and has one big door and vestibule. We knew we would be putting it on top of the dry bag and so we didn't care much about the poles fitting it or even being so light, but it does pack up pretty small. We are going to try it next year and if we don't like it, we are only out $100. We just couldn't stomach the smaller tents that cost a fortune!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Rally Rat
    I have a three-person Northface tent that I got on sale. I don't mind the extra packed size or weight (I'm not on a bicycle) and the extra interior room comes in handy.

Find a good quality, well-reviewed, name-brand tent on sale unless money is no object.

RK Ryder
    For two people, I suggest a four man tent. My 3 person Big Angus, complete with two vestibules, works fine for me and my gear; don't know how I'd fit a second person and their gear inside.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Cost, features, and quality: Pick any two.

I'm new to motorcycle camping, and this summer went out a couple times with a cheap, borrowed Tahoe Gear 2-person tent, <$50.

Pros:
    Cheap
    Easy to set up
    Packed well for my purposes

Cons:
    Really just one: Too small. Nominal dimensions are long enough, but even with my sleeping pad set diagonally, my head and toes were brushing the sides of the tent.
    I had all kinds of gear piled up inside once I unpacked a bit. So you need at least one person greater "capacity" than you will have actually sleeping in it.

That model packed down to about 30" in length. That worked out just fine, as I had it strapped across the passenger seat and my side cases are about 36" wide.

If I planned to use it heavily, or camp in "real weather," I'd step up the quality quite a bit. For a couple of summer weekends in California, the quality of this was perfectly adequate.

You'll also want a tarp or footprint so the bottom of your tent isn't sitting on the ground. And a small thing - if you have the room, get an extra piece of tarp to use as a "doormat" so your feet don't go from dirt straight into your tent.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I have a eureka backcountry that i like very much. keeps me dry and packs down to something like 5 x 15. Works great on the bike, even fits in a side case. I used to use the eureka timberline which is a great tent but the poles make it too long to fit in a side or top case. If you don't mind strapping gear on though, that tent is absolutely my all time favorite.
    I bought a Back Country tent last year because the poles are, as you say, 15" long and it will fit in my top case. But................

It's just too darn small for me and all my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    For two people, I suggest a four man tent. My 3 person Big Angus, complete with two vestibules, works fine for me and my gear; don't know how I'd fit a second person and their gear inside.

I remember at the RA Rally you had a LOT OF STUFF!

I'm thinking a 3 person "something" will be my next tent. Strap it on in lieu of a top case and good to go.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post

I'm thinking a 3 person "something" will be my next tent. Strap it on in lieu of a top case and good to go.
    Yeah, he's really overkill, eh? Hope to see you both in NS next year!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Great Tent

I've been using a Cabela's 4-Man XPG Tent for the last 3 years and it's got lots of room
    for one person and could easily accomodate 2. The price was very reasonable and the
    performance has been excellent. I had the XPG Deluxe which isn't listed here, I'm wondering
    if this tent (link) is what they replaced it with...........a good time to buy a tent as they
    are on sale. Good luck with your choice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Those BackCountry Tents come in a couple of different sizes, definitely get at least a 2 man if you're traveling solo. Actually that's true no matter what tent you get, my Timberline was a 4 Person and while it was more than I needed it was nice to have all of the extra room for my stuff.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

and then there is always...

http://shop.redverz.com/products/Ser...w.html#reviews

kinda pricey, but looks VERY functional....

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post

Maybe Bud, but that 3 person Big Agnus tent, along with other camping items, packed into my left case, clothes were in the right, and the camera (and a spare shock) were in the top box. Not really a lot, but when I unpack, yes, it does seem like a lot of stuff.

Now when I'm going to spend decent amount of time in one location, I take "my house tent". It is an English tent, a Wynnster Monaco 4, similar in size and setup, but lower than the Redverz tent. It has a large "mud" room, which leaves the actual sleeping area very tidy.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333