Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GSW--Busted Radiator Fin

AZrider

security screen

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels9784 View Post
    Holy Crap.... Glad I put the Touratech guards on as soon as I brought her home. Aamazing how vulnerable they are.
    After reading this thread checked the radiators and had a pretty good ding in one, straightened out the fins as best I could and cut security screening to fit. it was easy to do only 3 screws on 2013 WGS on each side. placed very stiff screen in, can't come out. Looks like factory. Got the screen free. Also if radiator has leak a good welder can fix it.
    R1200WGS 2013

I was at the dealership yesterday for another reason and took a good look at the wethead GS (still haven't ridden a wethead).
    That's a good quality set of coolers, nicely made, good size, well placed, etc etc except ---
    BMW cheaping out on any kind of protection. To call them vulnerable in stock form is an understatement. Those tubes are completely exposed, a relatively fragile material, and well positioned to catch bouncing stuff- their only protection is height but we all know highway crap bounces or is thrown higher than that with pretty good frequency.

Someone at BMW must own parts of Touratech and/or Hornig or they're even more asleep than I though IF they actually ever do a serious design review.

Were it mine I'd just make my own screen as I've done for various track toys- no rewards to BMW or accessory shops for this very deliberate choice to save a few $ in manufacturing. They have to know how vulnerable these things will be in the real world.

I doubt they'll get it right on the RT but it would be nice. Has anyone confirmed if the Adventure still has the rads open like this?

Judging from this photo, the GSA's radiators are equally vulnerable.

http://rllemke.smugmug.com/2014-R120...highRes-X3.jpg
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    I definitely advocate a guard.

Personally I am not a fan of the cut steel ones. The holes are too big, and the radiator is too fragile.

I like the foam idea, and it would likely stop smaller rocks. I also like the mesh,

Of course the odds are slim that damage would happen, but it would be expensive damage if it did.

Jim

Keep your old radiator. Any decent radiator shop could fix it and you have a spare.

Rod

I installed black Dog cycle works radiator guards my first day. They are well built and look great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ojaijudge View Post
    I installed black Dog cycle works radiator guards my first day. They are well built and look great.
    We'll have to take your word on that. Kinda hard to see them in the picture.

You guys are to easy on the idiots who allowed the stock design to be manufactured in the first place. It aluminum, not brass or steel.

By that same great logic one could build a bike full of uninsulated ground wiring- it too would work a while.

Wonder what Forest Gump would say about it...

My 89 (cheap) Transalp has two (2!!) layers of protection between its similar placed rads and incoming objects and of course has never holed one. It is not expensive to engage brains when designing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Keep your old radiator. Any decent radiator shop could fix it and you have a spare.

Rod
    +1
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I grew up riding two stroke liquid cooled dirt bikes with cheep plastic louvers over the radiators. Not only can I not understand why the factory didn't add the protection, I can't understand why no third party has come out with a cheep plastic set of guards to shield them from rocks and sticks. Why does everything in the aftermarket need to be stainless?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
    Why does everything in the aftermarket need to be stainless?
    Well, there's always titanium (my preference) for the elitist riders.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Well, there's always titanium (my preference) for the elitist riders.
    And carbon fiber for those inbetween.