Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: I watched The Youtube Video of the NY Motorcycle Gang

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    A friend of mine is a super smart criminal defense lawyer, I showed her all the images/videos and comments posted here.

She looked at me and very matter of fact said, "stupid is the reason why I still have a job."
    Well said!

Idiotic attitudes and behavior, along with ignorance of the law, kept overtime on my paychecks for 32+years.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    kept overtime on my paychecks for 32+years.
    Psst..........That's now a dirty word
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Psst..........That's now a dirty word
    Not in my universe, but thanks for the heads up.

We were leaving FL(longish camp& fish thing) a few years back as some of ("some of" is important to note!) the Daytona MC crowd was filtering into FL. I can attest (I do know "one" when I see "one") that I saw lots of people on MC's that I don't want for a neighbor! Do they "work" for a living?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    We were leaving FL(longish camp& fish thing) a few years back as some of ("some of" is important to note!) the Daytona MC crowd was filtering into FL. I can attest (I do know "one" when I see "one") that I saw lots of people on MC's that I don't want for a neighbor! Do they "work" for a living?
    True for some, but the vast majority I've run into were just in costume for the event. Haloween doesn't usually scare me and neither do circus clowns.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    True for some, but the vast majority I've run into were just in costume for the event. Haloween doesn't usually scare me and neither do circus clowns.
    Paul, I do agree as our society seems to have more "posers" than ever before, at least in my time. Having worked in a prison,taught juvy kids & later was a super of a juvy program I can "tell" much of the time about who's the bugger man. There are more of them amongst us than inside a facility. As more government agencies go broke that will change. Also, it's not about a scare for me but I'm pretty normal not a some kind of guy out to be a hero.
    Sadly, the NYC MC thing will have that effect(fear of MC groups) on some of the public. I'm in the group (some have already commented) that there would have been a loud bang sound during such an experience but happily to say, it wasn't my family at that scene.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Yes - they do work for a living. Selling drugs, firearms and burglary loot can be exhausting and take up a lot of hours.

Another officer and I spent 6 full days and nights at Bike Week in 2004 in Daytona. I'd like to report that "the vast majority were just there for fun and there were only a few bad apples in the crowds." Sadly, I cannot.

Part of the vastly complex problem is that society glorifies thugs, and thug-like attitudes. The pro & college sports athletes, the cage fighters, people in the entertainment business- these knuckleheads are the "heroes", the ones our children and their children look up to. Society has these people on a pedestal. In turn, some folks wind up thinking it's OK to emulate the thug persona- without, perhaps, fully understanding the ramifications. Without ever thinking they'll be called onto the carpet to take responsibility for any of their own actions.

Oops.

Sadly, more of these types of people aren't brought down to be held responsible for acting like thugs. I'm not anti LEO. The cops out there, especially in big cities, have a really tough gig, and I wouldn't fault them for dealing with stuff in ALMOST anyway they deem necessary. BUT I see our "justice" system as weak, misguided, stressed to the hilt, and out of focus. The prisons are overflowing with people doing mandatory time for things like drug "crimes"- while serial, or career criminals often walk with parole, probation, or suspended sentences. These are often the more violent criminals... yet the prisons are so full (BTW, we now have private companies making PROFIT off prisons) that the "real" criminals don't get the sentences that would seem to make sense for their crimes.

The ramifications of this and similar occurrences will reach far beyond the cities, tho, and could well affect each of us sooner or later- in things like random checkpoints, perhaps, or in the way society views US motorcyclists. Among all other tragic elements of this incident, this stands out as maybe the most unjust aspect, in my mind.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Squids in mass

Was in a situation some years back in York, PA area where traffic was high volumn conjestion and there was a large group of squids on crotch rockets. No regard for anyone else. They tried to control traffic in a similar manner to the incident in NY. Slowed down within two feet of my bumper so they could allow themselves lane control at near hiway speeds. Had wife and kids in the car. The one blocking turned around and signaled for me to back off in a single fingered gesture. These sorts of groups should be made to ride tricycles.

I would have done the same as the victim in the Range Rover. Crotch Rocket Riders were the guilty party.

Here we go....

Yesterday's news.
    On this page there are at least a couple mentions of "bikers" running amok in NYC and the area....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1485155

D'ya think for one second, after all that's being made of the Henry Hudson PKWY thing, that guys would just chill for even one minute.

No, I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by 1cbpippin View Post
    Was in a situation some years back in York, PA area where traffic was high volumn conjestion and there was a large group of squids on crotch rockets. No regard for anyone else. They tried to control traffic in a similar manner to the incident in NY. Slowed down within two feet of my bumper so they could allow themselves lane control at near hiway speeds. Had wife and kids in the car. The one blocking turned around and signaled for me to back off in a single fingered gesture. These sorts of groups should be made to ride tricycles.
    I've seen the V-twin types block intersections and direct traffic (against signals) so their group/pack can stay as a single group. The latest example was a month ago at the intersection of PA45 and PA144 in Centre Co.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Yesterday's news.
    On this page there are at least a couple mentions of "bikers" running amok in NYC and the area....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1485155

D'ya think for one second, after all that's being made of the Henry Hudson PKWY thing, that guys would just chill for even one minute.

No, I guess not.
    I can't say either way if these guys are guilty or not. I don't need another public official nanny harassing me just because I'm on a bike. Good luck in prosecuting all 7 guys . You can lay as many charges as you like, making them stick is another thing. As if there's not a car every 2 minutes on the highway up peoples asses and weaving in and out. 7 bikes passing and accelerating may look like mayhem but can be perfectly legal. Speeding ? Sure. Everyone is speeding on the highway. Give me a break.
    I was on a BMW ride with 20 bikes. A cop car came the opposite way and turned around and pulled over an F800ST. The rider asked how the hell he picked him out of the bunch and how a radar can focus on one bike. The cop said "I pointed it at a blue bike" There were several blue bikes. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Yep--I've seen that same thing at the same place (and at 45 and 445). But I don't put it in the same category. While rude and annoying, it was augmenting safety rather than detracting from it.
    Yes, it is a different category due to the speed. However, in both cases, non-law enforcement actors assumed the role of traffic control for their own interest. I doubt if either is legit.....

I remember (was it last year?), some group of people on motorcycles had a "blocker" pull out to block an intersection for their group ride....
    somebody came along in a big @$$ SUV, didn't see the blocker- and ran him over, killing him.

oops.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/11...-kauffman.html

Here's an article from Kansas City this past June... features a video of a large group of knucklehe- er, I mean motorcyclists being chased by police officers.
    One officer was busy trying to pull over a truck which had a bunch of people in the back, filming the ride... Guy on bike wheelie-ing along behind the cop. The truck brakes, cop brakes, wheelie-boy crashes into cop car! Helmet-cam catches the whole thing.

Also, this just in:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/15/...aped-joy-ride/

"A 29-year-old man on a BMW bike, (UH-OH )
    and a 26-year-old man on a Yamaha bike, were nabbed by MRC des Collines-de-L'Outaouais police on Saturday afternoon.
    As a result, the pair racked up 229 demerit points and $22,236 in fines for their Saturday afternoon antics."

Nickname: Droid
    Now that the excitement of the news has worn off the media has gone on to more dramatic news we hear next to nothing about the ongoing investigation. Wonder what's up lately.