Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: State of Tourism in WV

The hospitality industry crashed with the economy. It has not fully recovered, and it probably never will. Franchise Chain motels are a tough thing, the chain sucks off the top, you compete with the little guys. The American owned, owner lives there and does much of the work is still viable. If the owner is talented at fixing and plumbing. (broken toilet seats from the 300+ lb asses and people that can **** a hedge apple). You will have customers that can destroy an anvil with a q tip. Stolen towels, etc, ruined carpet and beds. And BED BUGS. It is a tough industry.

Rod

I understand the intent behind initiating this thread. Recent economic realities and technological advancement have re-defined the landscape for many of the areas in Canada where I spent my youth and earlier working years. I don't have to look very far right now to find close family members who are out of work. In some cases it's because they haven't kept pace with the evolving workforce, in others it's because they couldn't for one reason or another.

The only reason that I became interested in visiting WV at all was from reading comments in the AdvRider Forum. I lived in Washington DC for five years at one point (was not motorcycle touring then) and there were no "tourist brochures" attracting me to WV at that time - so, I never went. Other Forum threads contain comments relative to Deals Gap and WV like, "... there's no need to drive any further south than WV...." and other similar comments. These comments, along with the fact that I had previously ridden many of the fantastic roads further south (so I had a benchmark for comparisons) peaked my interest and I just had to experience WV for myself.

I was not disappointed and I am very grateful to those on the Forum who have posted their riding experiences in that great State. I only spent 2.5 days in WV and it was not enough. When I left, I continued on into PA where once again the Forum had prepared me for some great roads, attractions that I would not otherwise thought of and experiences. I've told my friends who haven't been to WV that they don't know what they're missing.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that this Forum has been a considerable influence in selecting my adventure interests. Everyone's viewpoints have been invaluable in my trip planning, gear purchases and other interests. I have several other adventures in the planning stage but I will definitely be getting back to WV at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf1 View Post
    I

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that this Forum has been a considerable influence in selecting my adventure interests. Everyone's viewpoints have been invaluable in my trip planning, gear purchases and other interests. I have several other adventures in the planning stage but I will definitely be getting back to WV at some point.
    Great Welcome to the forum.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

We've stayed at the Brazen Head a few times. The rooms are cozy and nice. The bar and restaurant leave a lot to be desired, mostly at a service level. I understand Will, the innkeeper recently had a major health scare so I'm not sure what's happening there now. I was last there in May.

There is a decent restaurant over on the river in Marlinton but I don't know the name of it. It's nothing fancy, just good down home food.

The riding area can't be beat in that area tho.

Across near Buckhannon is the Stonewall Resort. Great roads to ride over that way too. The resort is beautiful with three good restaurants, a golf course, spa, indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub, and all the ameneties you'd expect. Also a camp ground and marina. There are some nice sites to visit like the Stonewall Jackson birthplace and the insane asylum if you're into the haunted tours. Of course this all comes with a price tag of $100+ per night. Worth an annual visit in my opinion tho!

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Gary,

You're right. I'll shut-up.

Jon
    Me too! I will throw out that this is more like school than a real conversation? Hard to talk about the topic-"State of Tourism in WV" when the state lines are sort of blurry here in this area & the economies are a wreck...

Go to www.motorcycleroads.us , then to WV if you want some more curvy roads & rider comments to pick & choose.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

a bright spot

Well we found a bright spot in the West Virginia Tourism world...........

The Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs WV. http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

The motel was clean, well cared for, and inviting! The rooms are HUGE and seem to be well cared for. There were tables and chairs in front of every rooms, a BBQ in the yard, picnic tables and a spot for a campfire. There is a community pool just across the walking bridge that you can use in the summer time for $3.00 a day

4 choices of places to eat, 2 diners, on full service restaurant and a Subway; within walking distance, and nice big new Stop n Go station for gas, beer and coffee in the morning.

Great riding too! Route 20 & 15 are sure to please and there are plenty of county roads, both paved and dirt nearby.

Price was right too with an additional discount if paying with Cash.

We'll go back.
    Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Does anyone have a listing of good motorcycle camping (tent) in WV? Especially along Rt. 77. I'm from Ohio and make the trip to SC a few times a year, and would like to do the trip on my BMW.

Thanks,
    JimmyLee

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Does anyone have a listing of good motorcycle camping (tent) in WV? Especially along Rt. 77. I'm from Ohio and make the trip to SC a few times a year, and would like to do the trip on my BMW.

Thanks,
    JimmyLee
    Camping in WVa You never watched the movie "Deliverance", I take it

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Camping in WVa You never watched the movie "Deliverance", I take it
    That film was supposedly in GA, not WV. However, I suspect there are "dangerous hillbillies" in both places and those that play a wicked banjo all over this area...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    That film was supposedly in GA, not WV. However, I suspect there are "dangerous hillbillies" in both places and those that play a wicked banjo all over this area...
    Ned Beatty had some issues with the fictional Hillbillies, but WV reality was a lot more dangerous....

http://www.wvculture.org/history/minewars.html
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Spent a long weekend riding eastern West Virginia (and western Virginia). It was magnificent! Stopped by the Hermitage, it is still closed and for sale but at least someone is keeping it up. And Rt. 28 from 33 south to 250 is still a magnificent piece of road, all the more so at the height of the autumn foliage.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I do at least one WV ride a year - since I discovered it about 10 years ago. I've stayed at the Inn at Snowshoe. It does have a bar menu that is actually pretty extensive. The rooms for sure need some updates - it looks a bit like a frat-house - but the beds are comfortable, and the WiFi finally works in the lobby (forget about anywhere else - but if you go on the front porch you can tap into the WiFi from the place across 28..)

What I have found as great places to stay are the WV state parks. Many of them offer motel room like lodging, and they usually have a decent restaurant/bar attached. http://www.stonewallresort.com/ - has first class lodging and several restaurants on site to choose from. They also have cabins for rent around the edge of the lake if you are on a group ride. http://www.canaanresort.com/ - Canaan Valley Resort, in the Canaan Valley state park has motel type rooms, cabins and two restaurants and a bar on site. In both cases - the resorts are located in the state park, but they are run by private enterprise. Prices are what I'd consider moderate - and with just a bit of talking when you're registering the room prices can be bargained down to outright cheap in the off-season.

2013-06-24 08.44.10.jpg

Seen on the pool entrance this spring at Showshoe.. usually this sort of home-made sign is done in response to some event.. in this case barefoot naked drunks running around the pool area comes to mind.. Didn't see any when we were there, but I'm guessing it's different during ski season.

2013-06-23 20.30.44.jpg

Sunset at Snowshoe..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    We used to stay at Pipestem and it was nice. http://www.pipestemresort.com/
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Report this morning was Snowshoe was seeing snow.......already
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I love "West by God". Fantastic roads and friendly, honest people, for the most part.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo