Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: State of Tourism in WV

  1. #16
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    How do you know this? I worked with people who lived in the coal fields for 25+ years. I didn't find anyone who thought it was paradise. Most of the folks who live there would love change if it improved their lives but it has not been forthcoming because businesses won't move to where it is far more expensive to build as well as transport goods and raw materials to and from isolated locations. People are reluctant to leave the support of family and friends to move to places they don't know regardless of where they live.

    I'm done.
    Many of us live near or grew-up in the middle of nowhere near the coal mining industry. Heck, I had HS classmates that couldn't understand why anyone would go to college when they could make a very good living driving a coal truck. Some of these guys were making more money than skilled tradesmen. But, then the price of oil dropped and the lower-sulfur coal from the Powder River Basin began to dominate the market..........things changed rapidly and never returned.
    Last edited by 36654; 10-11-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  2. #17
    Fat Bear
    Guest
    I had a most enjoyable trip through WV last summer on my way back to Canada from GA / NC / TN etc. I thoroughly enjoyed travelling through Pocahontas to Welch, War and so on. I did some of the Hatfield / McCoy trail system before venturing on up along 92. Lots of mountainous twisties, very friendly people and I'll definitely be heading back at some point.

  3. #18
    Motomark motomark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clyde N.C.
    Posts
    47

    State of Tourism in Wv

    I have just returned from a ride which included parts of WV.I rode on Rt.16 and spent a night with riding partners at Twin Falls State Park near Pineville.Been there before and was quite impressed.Really,Really nice facility,super clean affordable cabins,restaurant and golf course.Nice roads around the area for Coal Country and the Hatfield McCoy Trails nearby.Just watchout for speedtrap in nearby Rhodell.(Don't ask me how I know)Three of us probably paid the salary for the entire month for the officer who cited us.
    Mark

    1971 R75/5,1990 K75RT,1994 K75,1999 KLR

  4. #19
    Club President gsjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bear View Post
    I had a most enjoyable trip through WV last summer on my way back to Canada from GA / NC / TN etc. I thoroughly enjoyed travelling through Pocahontas to Welch, War and so on. I did some of the Hatfield / McCoy trail system before venturing on up along 92. Lots of mountainous twisties, very friendly people and I'll definitely be heading back at some point.
    I agree totally on the great riding available in West Virginia......................it's our favorite destination by far!
    I started this tread because I see a diminishing tourist industry, not a lack of great roads, wonderful people or beautiful scenery.

    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

  5. #20
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    I agree totally on the great riding available in West Virginia......................it's our favorite destination by far!
    I started this tread because I see a diminishing tourist industry, not a lack of great roads, wonderful people or beautiful scenery.

    jason
    For people that can retire, it will be a pretty place to live cheaply, just like the northern tier of PA.

    For younger folks that try to live there, you need to find a means of living off of the retirees that want to live cheap in the woods. Rest home aide is a good career choice........
    Last edited by 36654; 10-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  6. #21
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    I agree totally on the great riding available in West Virginia......................it's our favorite destination by far!
    I started this tread because I see a diminishing tourist industry, not a lack of great roads, wonderful people or beautiful scenery.

    jason
    The mountain counties near me in VA, NC, WV, TN and KY have been hit hard by more than the decline in coal. The area has also suffered from the textile and furniture manufacturing that has moved to foreign countries. With the good riding roads, beautiful mountains and friendly people, we have to evolve and promote the area's advantages with tourism. We have been promoting the Back of the Dragon to draw more people to the area so we can get more restaurants, motels and other attractions. However, the problem is a chicken and egg problem. Tourists don't come because there are few places to eat and sleep. We can't get motels and restaurants to locate here because we can't show enough people to make it profitable for them.

    I'm not sure the closing and deteriorating motels and restaurants is as much a matter of a diminishing tourist industry as much as a declining of other industry. The motels and restaurants were build to service mining and manufacturing industries and the tourist business was a bonus. When mining and manufacturing fell, the tourism part of their business was not enough to sustain them.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,254
    Much of PA & WV are affected by coal decline & poverty-a fact! My part/county of eastern KY has zero coal. We were poor before,during & after each boom cycle. Having moved here by choice in 1973 from my native KS I was often asked why did you come? My patent answer has always been that "my area" has all the "right things wrong with it"! I used to tell my people in KS (when hearing a hard times story) that they didn't really know what hard times were ( my Mom & other dust bowl people knew/know as she lived on squirrels during the depression!)
    Where I live: there are no mansions beside the home's of the poor here. There are no coal trucks. There are(never have been) zero factories. There are no motels. There are no doctors,dentists(as in live here) or -yes we have a couple of lawyers and they moved in from NJ & ?.There are zero red lights. Zero jails. No fast foods-we do have one Subway & two Dollar stores.
    I wish I could say zero crime but it is the real world and pillheads & drugs are here like elsewhere...fewer though I suppose.
    What we do have is forest, lots of it!-A 2012 tornado totally wiped out one of our most scenic areas & a nearby town.
    Cliffs, lots of them! Critters, lots of them too-huge Primitive Weapons Hunting Area too. Hills, (called mountains here) and I live in/on/amongst them & this is my home in spite of no jobs,no lot of things- you name it! Oh, the roads are twisty & we have a beautiful Corps of Engineers lake-very scenic & closed for now. This county is cleaner than most any "coal county" & lacks most all of the franchise type businesses you do see (open or closed) in coal counties, WV,PA,VA,TN or KY.
    Watch what you wish for?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,254
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    How do you know this? I worked with people who lived in the coal fields for 25+ years. I didn't find anyone who thought it was paradise. Most of the folks who live there would love change if it improved their lives but it has not been forthcoming because businesses won't move to where it is far more expensive to build as well as transport goods and raw materials to and from isolated locations. People are reluctant to leave the support of family and friends to move to places they don't know regardless of where they live.

    I'm done.
    I thought you were done? Ha! I knew you were too passionate about your mountains...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  9. #24
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Much of PA & WV are affected by coal decline & poverty-a fact!
    Kantuckid,

    I appreciate your attempt to moderate this side issue. And yes, these regions do offer wonderful riding, especially for those folks that live nearby in the suburban sprawl of DC, Northern VA and Southeastern PA. But, when we talk of the "Coal Industry", many of us in our 50's knew that as the dead industry that father's and grand-fathers talked about. Remember that Jack Riepe story in the ON a few years ago about the MACPAC ride to Centralia, PA? That mine fire was started in 1962 and the mines were abandoned at that time!

    During the oil crisis in the early 1970's there was bit a resurgence when the price rose due to demand as an alternate to oil, but that was short lived. During the following decades, as the price of electricity dropped, most all of the domestic manufacturers of boilers, combusters, turbines and generators went out business due to lack of demand. Today, we produce electricity using very old equipment and the cheapest fuel. The new abundance of NG is great and the GE tubine-generator systems can be delivered for modular construction, but why build new, clean and efficient when old and acceptable allows you to produce cheap electricity?

    So, when someone laments the "Coal Industry", I do feel sorry for those folks economically displaced near the strip mines But, those jobs truly went away more than 50's years ago, when Pittsburgh still made steel. Today, coal is just a cheap fuel, burnt in old powerplants, maintained with imported parts. Accordingly, we don't need anyone that knows about building or designing this type of equipment until the powerplants become truly unrepairable in, perhaps, a few more decades. In other words, just like those taxi cabs in Havana.......those Desoto's and Hudson's are still moving.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  10. #25
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Kantuckid,

    I appreciate your attempt to moderate this side issue. And yes, these regions do offer wonderful riding, especially for those folks that live nearby in the suburban sprawl of DC, Northern VA and Southeastern PA. But, when we talk of the "Coal Industry", many of us in our 50's knew that as the dead industry that father's and grand-fathers talked about. Remember that Jack Riepe story in the ON a few years ago about the MACPAC ride to Centralia, PA? That mine fire was started in 1962 and the mines were abandoned at that time!

    During the oil crisis in the early 1970's there was bit a resurgence when the price rose due to demand as an alternate to oil, but that was short lived. During the following decades, as the price of electricity dropped, most all of the domestic manufacturers of boilers, combusters, turbines and generators went out business due to lack of demand. Today, we produce electricity using very old equipment and the cheapest fuel. The new abundance of NG is great and the GE tubine-generator systems can be delivered for modular construction, but why build new, clean and efficient when old and acceptable allows you to produce cheap electricity?

    So, when someone laments the "Coal Industry", I do feel sorry for those folks economically displaced near the strip mines But, those jobs truly went away more than 50's years ago, when Pittsburgh still made steel. Today, coal is just a cheap fuel, burnt in old powerplants, maintained with imported parts. Accordingly, we don't need anyone that knows about building or designing this type of equipment until the powerplants become truly unrepairable in, perhaps, a few more decades. In other words, just like those taxi cabs in Havana.......those Desoto's and Hudson's are still moving.
    http://www.tricities.com/news/articl...dfd1f152c.html
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  11. #26
    Club President gsjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    879
    Ok, so trying to stay on focus ..........................

    Is anyone going to Bridge Day this coming weekend?
    http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

    After staying in Richwood WV at the 4 season motel last year and being disappointed in it's condition & lack of upkeep we're staying this year at the Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs. Drove through the parking lot two weeks ago and the place looks nice.
    http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

  12. #27
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,749
    Thanks for demonstrating my point.............sift through the website and find out who equipment fabricators were?

    The only mention I see is one of Toshiba for the generator assembly which was shipped from Japan.. For all the verbiage, there is no picture of the prime mover which should be even more massive than the generator. However, It's probably safe to assume that Toshiba built the steam turbine, also.

    So, while you can be happy that local funds supported this project to use coal, the valued added plant equipment was purchased from a non-domestic supplier so the profit and design experience went to a foreign country. The local residents get to dig coal and pay the bills to build and operate the plant.

    So, which do you want to be...........The guy that designs and builds the value added equipment or the guy that digs the coal and pays the smart guy for his equipment & expertise?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  13. #28
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,486
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    Ok, so trying to stay on focus ..........................

    Is anyone going to Bridge Day this coming weekend?
    http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

    After staying in Richwood WV at the 4 season motel last year and being disappointed in it's condition & lack of upkeep we're staying this year at the Mineral Springs Motel in Webster Springs. Drove through the parking lot two weeks ago and the place looks nice.
    http://www.mineralspringsmotel.net/

    jason
    Wouldn't that be nice.......

    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Thanks for demonstrating my point.............sift through the website and find out who equipment fabricators were?

    The only mention I see is one of Toshiba for the generator assembly which was shipped from Japan.. For all the verbiage, there is no picture of the prime mover which should be even more massive than the generator. However, It's probably safe to assume that Toshiba built the steam turbine, also.

    So, while you can be happy that local funds supported this project to use coal, the valued added plant equipment was purchased from a non-domestic supplier so the profit and design experience went to a foreign country. The local residents get to dig coal and pay the bills to build and operate the plant.

    So, which do you want to be...........The guy that designs and builds the value added equipment or the guy that digs the coal and pays the smart guy for his equipment & expertise?
    If you guys would like, I can move all the posts about the industry that has left the area and why it's no longer viable into a separate thread of it's own and the OP can get back to the roads in the area. Just let me know the post numbers and what you would like it titled.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  14. #29
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice.......


    If you guys would like, I can move all the posts about the industry that has left the area and why it's no longer viable into a separate thread of it's own and the OP can get back to the roads in the area. Just let me know the post numbers and what you would like it titled.
    Gary
    Gary,

    You're right. I'll shut-up.

    Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  15. #30
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,486
    thanks for you consideration
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •