Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent camping sites - listings - advice

Yes, WNC is Western North Carolina.
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA
    2009 BMW G650 GS

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I think this is the best advice when it comes to mc camping.
    I agree. Nothing worse than having to set up a tent in the dark. Start looking for a nice campsite with at least 2 hours of light left, and not only will you be ready for a restful night when the sun goes down, you'll have a chance to visit around the campgrounds and possibly meet some new friends. After all, riding is only a part of traveling. I've found out information on some of my most memorable destinations along the way from like minded folks I've met in the evening at camp sites.

BearDog
    I agree with all the priors. A good source for the basics as well as some ideas you might not think of, I found the book titled "Motorcycle Camping Made Easy" by Bob Woofter is an easy read and informative. I purchased mine from Whitehorse Gear.
    Robert
    2013 R12GSW

List your location

If we knew where you were located, someone will probably offer to take you out on a first motorcycle camping trip, just to help you up the learning curve. Camping on a bike offers a few challenges.

Others have offered good advice. My addition is to get some stuff sacks, or compression sacks, for bulky items, especially your sleeping bag. You can find army surplus compression sacks (get the ones with straps both vertical and horizontal, i.e. "9 strap") for <$20 on eBay. Have spare bungee cords (I like the Rok Straps brand) and plastic bags for protecting said sleeping bag from rain because the old army surplus compression bag might not be waterproof......(DAMHIK)!!! I like JetBoil camp stove, too, but some don't.

Take it easy and have a blast!!!
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    My advice is to take a couple of short "practise trips" where you only go a comfortable distance from home, then set up your gear while there's still light to see by. If you do this often enough it will become second nature and you will find it easy to do in low-light conditions. a decent headlamp can be a big asset, but familiarity with your gear is the key to success !!
    At home the daylight is gone by 4pm in the winter months so you learn to adapt.
    Get out there and have fun
    Ian.
    also before you try any kind of trip, get all equipment and set up and take down 4 or 5 time in the yard. This will tell if you can wait till almost dark or even after dark to set up. May even try it in the RAIN.
    good luck on and all you adventures.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

or,for a free training & demo:
    Go to a/the rally with a tent, sleeping bag & pad & $ to eat on & wander around each day to be "amongst those that know". You'll see every brand & variation of minimal to the whole enchillada style of camping & be in the midst of "friends" too. Some will have $400 tents while others will be in a $50 Kelty(me). Bigger rally= more demos.
    I had the genuine delight to have had an "Uncle Dean" (bless him!!!) that knew the ways of the wild & was out on weekends with my cousins & me, camping and fishing. I had a canvas pup tent ala U.S. Army & slept in an old worn out quilt (my Mom had made a foot pocket in the bottom after folding) & on the ground.
    FWIW, of that large group one cousin & myself have been in the "pass it on to your kids" category as we know camping and made it available to our kids.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I've been tent camping all over the USA over the last couple of years and never once worried about where I was going to be camping until about a couple of hours before I wanted to stop. If you have a smart phone, there are several apps that will show you all the camping sites near your location or near a location you specify and they'll let you filter out the RV parks and focus on tent camping. This works most of the time to find a suitable camping spot in a real campground with a shower and some power for recharging your stuff if you haven't already figured out how to do that on your bike. One app I've used successfully is AllStays - it's about $10 which is pricey for an app but totally worth it as long as you're someplace you can get network access.

I say most of the time... there has been a few times where this serendipitous attitude has bitten me and I've ended up camping in amongst motor homes in an RV camp ground but even those will generally point you to a place that's suitable and not just stick you in the middle of an RV park. There's also been a few times where I've popped my tent or sleeping hammock in a church yard or state/community park and slept right next to my bike. I was on my way from Santa Fe back to Annapolis MD last year and just never got tired until about 1am in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. But even there, I was able to pop up on my iPhone the nearest state park that was just 4 miles off the expressway. I rode into the park at 1am and had my camping hammock slung between two trees within 5' of my bike and was asleep under a starry sky in about 15 minutes. Up before anyone was stirring and 80 miles down the road before breakfast for a total cost of $0 for 5 hours of sleep.

That's not the norm though. More often than not, I'll find a camp ground where there's tent camping sites, hot water showers, and a power outlet nearby a picnic table right by my tent. After a couple of years of doing this kind of camping, sometimes thousands of miles from home like in Yellowstone, Big Sky, Colorado, ... I honestly get a better night's sleep in my tent than any hotel bed.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Glad somebody mentioned state park camping. Many states have GREAT state parks. Pennsylvania in particular has some really wonderful state park campgrounds. Maybe not as cheap as you could get, but always pleasant. Some you'll find (in PA) to be more crowded than others.
    And it's no surprise that "there's an APP for that". Of course there is! Ha ha.
    Safe travels everyone!
    Cheers.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World