Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent camping sites - listings - advice

Tent camping sites - listings - advice

I would like to start doing some riding by myself, and would like to do tent camping (only necessary requirements would be shower in the morning, tent site, maybe with electricity, ability to use small camp stove for coffee in the morning). I want to be able to plan a trip (like from Canton, OH to Greenville, SC - down Rt. 77 with maybe some stops in VA to see Civil War sites) and would like to be able to see what campsites are available along my route.

Then, when doing the trip, just when I feel like it, stop and camp, then leave in the morning.

I want to do many such trips, but mostly in eastern US - lots to Civil War stuff.

Any magazines, web sites, organizations dedicated to MC tent travelling?

Thanks,
    JimmyLee

You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis
    Last edited by DennisDarrow; 10-07-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I would like to start doing some riding by myself, and would like to do tent camping (only necessary requirements would be shower in the morning, tent site, maybe with electricity, ability to use small camp stove for coffee in the morning). I want to be able to plan a trip (like from Canton, OH to Greenville, SC - down Rt. 77 with maybe some stops in VA to see Civil War sites) and would like to be able to see what campsites are available along my route.

Then, when doing the trip, just when I feel like it, stop and camp, then leave in the morning.

I want to do many such trips, but mostly in eastern US - lots to Civil War stuff.

Any magazines, web sites, organizations dedicated to MC tent travelling?

Thanks,
    JimmyLee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis
    There you go again, Dennis. It must me a disease!

Rally Rat
    Visit http://www.uscampgrounds.info/statemaps.html and install some of those POI's into your GPS.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    One ranger that was at Antietam when I stopped there in June rides -- gave me a scenic road map between there and Gettysburg.

Plenty of hits on "motorcycle camping" via google, bing, etc.

My advice: freestanding tent, two poles, 15 degree Big Agnes down bag, NeoAir mattress pad, Jetboil, and you can get your electricity from the bike. Everything you buy should PACK VERY SMALL.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Hey!

Thanks to all of you. Though I have ridden motorcycles for many years (40+) because I had 4 kids and wanted them to grow up with a Dad, and I was so busy working all the time (2 jobs) I never had any time to travel, just ride back and forth to work.

Now that the kids are gone, I want to do some short 3-400 mile trips, stay at campsites (I have never been camping before, except in the side yard!). Your ideas were very helpful. Ideas about what to have and take, what to do, and where to stay have all be helpful. My only hesitation now is DOING it. I am slightly afraid that when I get somewhere where I feel tired enough to finally quit riding and sleep for the night, that I won't be able to find a place.

I will finally get going.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    One ranger that was at Antietam when I stopped there in June rides -- gave me a scenic road map between there and Gettysburg.

Plenty of hits on "motorcycle camping" via google, bing, etc.

My advice: freestanding tent, two poles, 15 degree Big Agnes down bag, NeoAir mattress pad, Jetboil, and you can get your electricity from the bike. Everything you buy should PACK VERY SMALL.
    Antietam and Appomattox are next on my desire list to go see. My son and I went to Gettysburg, Philadelpha, PA, Washington DC (Memorial Day) Monticello, Lexington, VA, and Charleston, SC - all on motorcycle trip!

I will be traveling alone for camping though.

... My only hesitation now is DOING it. I am slightly afraid that when I get somewhere where I feel tired enough to finally quit riding and sleep for the night, that I won't be able to find a place.

I will finally get going.
    My advice is not to ride until it's dark or nearly dark. Leave yourself plenty of time to find the campsite, set up in daylight, and maybe still have time to ride or walk around and explore a little, or find someplace to get groceries or a take-out place and enjoy your new "home".
    Dan

3 Red Bricks
    http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/03/new-...d-information/

You don't HAVE to be a AAA member, just know one that will get one for you.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    My advice is not to ride until it's dark or nearly dark. Leave yourself plenty of time to find the campsite, set up in daylight, and maybe still have time to ride or walk around and explore a little, or find someplace to get groceries or a take-out place and enjoy your new "home".
    I think this is the best advice when it comes to mc camping.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Rally Rat
    Indeed, good advice, however it seems that for me I usually ride to the last minute or longer.

You should be prepared to setup camp in the dark, especially in the fall and winter months when the days are shorter and some campgrounds might be closed for the season. It's not hard to setup in the dark if you have a head-mounted flash light and if you've packed your bike in an organized fashion.

Thumbs up

My advice is to take a couple of short "practise trips" where you only go a comfortable distance from home, then set up your gear while there's still light to see by. If you do this often enough it will become second nature and you will find it easy to do in low-light conditions. a decent headlamp can be a big asset, but familiarity with your gear is the key to success !!
    At home the daylight is gone by 4pm in the winter months so you learn to adapt.
    Get out there and have fun
    Ian.
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100

Great campground reference

I have been using the AAA camping books for many years. This year they have consolidated all of North America into one book and are charging a very nominal fee for it. . Great reference. Also in WNC there are a number of motorcycle campgrounds, just for us. You can google them.
    John
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA
    2009 BMW G650 GS

Quote Originally Posted by JFMOORE430 View Post
    I have been using the AAA camping books for many years. This year they have consolidated all of North America into one book and are charging a very nominal fee for it. . Great reference. Also in WNC there are a number of motorcycle campgrounds, just for us. You can google them.
    John
    What is "WNC"?

Is that Western North Carolina?