Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Does tire pressure make that much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post

So what should I look for to get it just right? I am also curious to hear what pressures fellow R100RS owners are finding works best on these more modern tires.
    To me, the most crucial thing to look for is high speed cornering like on an Interstate exit ramp at a speed that you normally travel. You have to experiment, but I try to find where I can "trust" my tires to stick to the road on a corner. I love to corner and I want to feel like nothing is slipping or mushy.

Don't forget however, that road "stickiness" changed if the pavement is wet, even slightly. So in your experimenting, be very careful.

Also, you might want to also experiment and set pressures for when you may travel two-up, or when the bike is loaded up with stuff.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, the BMW RDC/TPS is compensated to 20 degrees C. Unless your cold pressure is taken at 68F or 20C it won't measure the same as the best digital pressure gauge. IMO, and a whole bunch of people who have RDC, its most significant attribute is it lets you know about loss of pressure. If you want to know why they did it that way, my best guess is that German engineers don't think like normal people.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    ... German engineers don't think like normal people.
    I say the same thing every time I try to use some of those obscure "features" of my onboard computer. I swear that the BMW engineers put that stuff on a m/c simply because they can.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

P Monk

Short test ride

Quote Originally Posted by georgej View Post
    Hey Dpmonk,after you make the adjustment to the air pressure can you let us know if it made any difference?
    Got the tires pressured to 33 front 36 rear. Beautiful cool morning for the ride to the Harvest Classic. Got out of the driveway and the red low voltage light was shining bright. RATS! Threw all the gear in the GS and took off.

Guess the tire pressure test drive will have to wait until i get the Charging system problem sorted out.

PS. Battery in GS was a little discharged. Died in Magnolia Texas. Fortunately it takes a readily available AGM battery from Auto Zone. Duralast cost $108.

Fantastic rally and bike show at Luckenbach by the way.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post

PS. Battery in GS was a little discharged. Died in Magnolia Texas. Fortunately it takes a readily available AGM battery from Auto Zone. Duralast cost $108.

Fantastic rally and bike show at Luckenbach by the way.
    Uh Oh!!

Be ready to get blasted by some on here!

Back in Feb/Mar., since I had been out of the BMW "scene" for 25 years, I posed the question about where to purchase a battery. I asked what was the current trend, Wal-Mart, AutoZone or what???

When I suggested these "non-BMW" choices, wow, did I get the nasty!! I was told that no one would put such a battery in these "Magnificent Machines." I was also called a "shade tree" mechanic for such a suggestion!!

Guess what I purchased? An AGM from Advance Auto, and with a current discount it only cost $79.00. The exact same model is sold at AutoZone! Hasn't skipped a beat since, 9,000 miles later. I can get three of these for the price of ONE of their suggestion. And there is practically an AutoZone/Advance Auto on every corner of the US. It also came with a 1 year warranty.

Good luck!

Jimmy -

Surely there was a smilie used in there somewhere! Here, I'll use one now...

Actually I don't recall the thread, but stepping back a bit, I think that whatever floats your boat, go for it. There may be issues with fitment (size, battery post location, tool tray clearance), cranking amps, compatibility with the bikes charging system...probably more. But you bring up a good point...where would you be able to get your Shorai serviced on the road?

It's definitely a personal choice...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Jimmy -

Surely there was a smilie used in there somewhere! Here, I'll use one now...

Kurt, I remember the thread and there was definitely not a smile in the post. I know jimmylee personally and we discussed this off line, becasue I had a similar experience with the same poster.

P Monk

isn't this a tire pressure thread? haha

All I know is i was broke down, many many miles from the nearest dealer, and the Duralast fitteth perfectly.

I was just disappointed I had to ride a hexhead to a classic mc rallly, sure saw a lot of old beemers that were ridden there, as well as a couple of pristine Nortons, a pair of Matchless's kept riding by.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.