Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter or Battery 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    I measure about 3 mA without my immobilizer (added) connected on a 1150GS.
    7.5 seems high, do you have aftermarket accessories on the system?
    It does seem high. I've got the Kisan SignalMinder and a pair of driving lights that are connected through a solid state switch (don't come in without key).

I'm going to check the parts today and try and figure out where the draw is coming from.

I pulled the left side plastic again and measure the various key-off currents:

Motronic/Fuse 5: 0.8 mA
    RID/Fuse 3: 1.5 mA
    ABS: 0.3 mA
    Kisan SignalMinder: 4.7 mA !!

Total: 7.3 mA
    Total w/o Kisan: 2.6 mA

I'm going to check with Kisan and as if that's the correct stand-by current.
    RB

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

RB
    The stock figures match mine.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post

Happy Wanderer.........any chance for some pics of your meter setup?........I run with an Odyssey PC680 as well and would like to monitor the voltage of the battery
    Sorry I missed the post asking for photos. I have the same unit on two bikes, oilhead and airhead. It is a quartz crystal low power unit made by Lascar. Not 100% waterproof but if mounted strategically and not blasted with the garden hose it's fine.

The Oilhead one is mounted just below the windscreen, top of the dash. Can't find a better photo See airhead shot for detail.

Both bikes have Odyssey batteries. The airhead is about to get a new adjustable regulator which I will adjust up to 13.5V for better Odyssey charging en route. The oilhead gets plugged into an approved Odyssey charger periodically to keep it up to snuff.
    2013-05-11 13.11.31.jpg2013-04-11 12.04.00.jpg
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

RB
    Hi Roger,
    2.7 ma for me on '04RT with no ABS.
    Jammess

Looks like it will be a while before I ride. Pulling fuses 3 and 5, and the Kisan Signal!inder will drop the total Standby current to 0.8 mA. That will leave me with a discharge rate of about 1% per week.
    RB

A quick update: Heard back from Kisan about the SignalMinder SM-5 flasher. The key off standby current is just a little under 5 mA, which effectively triples the standby current drawn by the motorcycle. They have to keep it powered so that the Hazard flashers work with the key off.

Since pulling the Kisan and fuses 3 & 5, six days ago and thereby dropping the standby current to 0.8 mA for the ABS input, my PC680 battery voltage has remained constant at 12.84V. This means no need to keep it on a tender or trickle charger.

Thanks H W

Now I know what my winter wiring project is going to be!
    Thanks,
    Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Happy NY Roger,
    When is the last time you needed, I say needed, to use the hazard lights on your motorcycle?
    Jammess

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    Happy NY Roger,
    When is the last time you needed, I say needed, to use the hazard lights on your motorcycle?
    Happy NY Jim,

It was July 2, 2012 when the in-tank fuel hoses burst, without warning, in the high-speed lane, Rt. 93N, going 75 MPH and having to negotiate from the left-hand lane in heavy traffic, four lanes to the right to an exit, without power, hazard lights on (as if that matters at that point).

R1150RT Fuel System Failure

RB

Happy NY Jim,

It was July 2, 2012 when the in-tank fuel hoses burst, without warning, in the high-speed lane, Rt. 93N, going 75 MPH and having to negotiate from the left-hand lane in heavy traffic, four lanes to the right to an exit, without power, hazard lights on (as if that matters at that point).

R1150RT Fuel System Failure

RB
    Hi Roger,
    OMG, I get your point! That was indeed a scary event. Been thinking about new in tank fuel lines as well as new stainless brake lines. Going to get serious now.
    Jammess

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    Hi Roger,
    OMG, I get your point! That was indeed a scary event. Been thinking about new in tank fuel lines as well as new stainless brake lines. Going to get serious now.
    Although my brake lines "look" good, I know I'm living on borrowed time with them. Thanks for the reminder.

I thought I'd take a moment for a long term follow up report. Since my 6 full discharge, 6 proper recharge cycles, I had a couple months of riding before we got shutdown by real winter--ice, snow temperatures between -10F and 30F for the most part.

As a result, I "winterized" my battery by giving it a full charge (per Odyssey procedure) and then pulling Fuses 3 & 5 and the Kisan signal minder. That drops my parasitic current with the key off to 0.3 mA. The result is that my battery voltage has dropped about 40-50 mV per week. At that rate it would be able to sit for a couple months and still start the bike. However, I have topped it up once a month when the voltage gets to about 12.65V.

Charging to 100% not only made starting better, it also has made it easier to store.
    RB

Since the last post, I've reinstalled the fuses and Kisan after about 2 months of sitting. Voltage at 12.72. (There was a top up charge 3 weeks ago.) Relearned the throttle. Pulled up the fast idle lever. Hit the starter, 1 second later it was running and idling at 1400 RPM.

The new charging protocol per Odyssey (including boosted alternator voltage) worked well, as expected.
    RB

Below is a chart showing five successive discharge times for a PC680 in an Oilhead (Reported Here). The battery is 7 years old and was only measuring 12.5 volts at the start of the discharge sequence. There was a significant increase in capacity (discharge time lengthened) between the 1st and 2nd discharges and again between the 4th and 5th discharges.

You can see at the 150 minute mark the 5th discharge extended nicely with the result that the time to 10.25 V was 160 minutes on the 1st cycle, 180 on the second and nearly 210 minutes on the 5th discharge cycle. Those numbers suggest an initial state of 75% charged, which is consistent with the 12.5V at the start of discharge 1.

The beginning voltage has also been increased, from 12.5V to about 12.9V.

It is looking like a 7 year-old PC680 has been revived.
    RB