Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Starter or Battery 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    It is looking like a 7 year-old PC680 has been revived.
    RB
    At what rate was that battery discharged at and was a load test performed at say 1/2 the CCA rating of the battery?

Hi Alex, I don't know what rate he used but asked him and am waiting to hear. Based on the numbers and some advice I'd given him it looks like his rate was around 4.2 amps. That is in the neighborhood of the 3 hour discharge rate. A new battery would deliver about 15.5 AH.

I don't believe he has done a 1/2 CCA test.

Still, he has had a good improvement in battery capacity. RB

Below is a chart showing five successive discharge times for a PC680 in an Oilhead (Reported Here). The battery is 7 years old and was only measuring 12.5 volts at the start of the discharge sequence. There was a significant increase in capacity (discharge time lengthened) between the 1st and 2nd discharges and again between the 4th and 5th discharges.

You can see at the 150 minute mark the 5th discharge extended nicely with the result that the time to 10.25 V was 160 minutes on the 1st cycle, 180 on the second and nearly 210 minutes on the 5th discharge cycle. Those numbers suggest an initial state of 75% charged, which is consistent with the 12.5V at the start of discharge 1.

The beginning voltage has also been increased, from 12.5V to about 12.9V.

It is looking like a 7 year-old PC680 has been revived.
    RB

Hi Alex, I don't know what rate he used but asked him and am waiting to hear. Based on the numbers and some advice I'd given him it looks like his rate was around 4.2 amps. That is in the neighborhood of the 3 hour discharge rate. A new battery would deliver about 15.5 AH.

I don't believe he has done a 1/2 CCA test.

Still, he has had a good improvement in battery capacity. RB
    Battery manufacturers will always state the C-rate that the capacity was obtained.

We also got better numbers after a few charge-discharge cycles, but when testing the capacity and CCA of the battery, it was never close to new performance. It it is, the battery wasn't that damaged in the first place.

For our amp-hour test we used a Programma Torkel 860 which maintains a constant current drain (varying load as the voltage drops) and a PPI for the load test.

You're right that he'd gain a better gauge of his battery's health by adding a load test.

On the other hand, since Oilheads do undercharge the PC680, and since the 680 then exhibits a bigger starting voltage dip, which has now been seen in several cases, that dip leading to slow, uneven starting, the 4/5 cycle discharge has value.

The winter here was crappy so I kept an eye on my PC680 battery's SOC regularly to see how my own reconditioning was working out. Yesterday I made a cold start after a week of sitting and logged it with the 911. It took 1.1 seconds mid-detent on the Fast Idle Lever, no throttle.
    RB

On the other hand, since Oilheads do undercharge the PC680...
    RB
    Why not install another voltage regulator with the correct V setting?

They are readily available. For example: 14.1V, 14.2V, 14.4V, 14.5V and 14.8V. I have a Bosch sheet listing them.

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Why not install another voltage regulator with the correct V setting?

They are readily available. For example: 14.1V, 14.2V, 14.4V, 14.5V and 14.8V. I have a Bosch sheet listing them.
    Here's the Bosch Part Number 0 123 105 003 for the internal voltage regulator. As you know, I just added a diode to mine for the sake of time. There are different form factors and slip ring sizes and I couldn't work out which one was a perfect form factor match. Hella makes one that wasn't available here.

Can you send me a link to the sheet with specifications? It may be possible to fit one directly, though it is a bear of a job to get the alternator out.

There are different form factors and slip ring sizes...
    Yes, those are listed as well as T.C.

Its on a PDF I have. PM me your e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Yes, those are listed as well as T.C.

Its on a PDF I have. PM me your e-mail.
    PM Sent, thank you. RB

A diode is less than $1
    My mod has worked for years.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.