Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Air in forks?

3 Red Bricks
    Jimmy,

The way to accurately fill them (or any thing for that matter), is to overfill and then bleed back to the desired pressure. Obviously, hooking up to a gas station air hose could blow out the fork seals in an instant, but hooking up to your home compressor THOROUGH A REGULATOR that is set for 5psi or using a bicycle pump, before bleeding back to 3psi with the gauge that I posted earlier, is easily doable.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    These forks simply weren't made for that sort of use.
    I agree there.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks

I would bet that those who make their living using these small pressure settings (as mentioned dragsters, etc.) don't use a $5.95 gage.
    If you need a higher quality gauge http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...Fcs9QgodmRYA4g

accurate within 1.5%. That's 1/4 lb at 15psi or .044 lb at 3psi. Easily good enough.

Or you could use http://www.zorotools.com/g/00095563/...FRDZQgoddC8A-A
    same 1.5% accuracy, but .1 psi increments for VERY precise settings. Only $28.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Jimmy,

The way to accurately fill them (or any thing for that matter), is to overfill and then bleed back to the desired pressure. OTHOROUGH A REGULATOR that is set for 5psi or using a bicycle pump, before bleeding back to 3psi with the gauge that I posted earlier, is easily doable.

Hey.......FINALLY a valid use for the worthless self-flagelating piece of equipment supplied by the factory for what is called a tire pump........God bless........Dennis

[QUOTE=98lee;902624]If you need a higher quality gauge http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...Fcs9QgodmRYA4g

accurate within 1.5%. That's 1/4 lb at 15psi or .044 lb at 3psi. Easily good enough.

Or you could use http://www.zorotools.com/g/00095563/...FRDZQgoddC8A-A
    same 1.5% accuracy, but .1 psi increments for VERY precise settings. Only $28.

[/QUOTE

BOTH of the gages you show as being more than adequate, pose problems. In order to make anything usable, is to have the gage "plumbed" in so that the "air" can be overfilled and then bled down (as you describe). If 3 lbs. was the limit, and the volume in the shocks is so little, then simply checking with a standard gage like you would a tire would lose enough air in the checking process that it would be virtually impossible to maintain a setting as too much air would escape in the checking process.

Secondly, the percent of accuracy is +/-, Translation: to say it is 1/4% accuracy means 1/4% higher OR 1/4% lower, so with such a small pressure, and such a small volume I would suppose it would be virtually impossible to settle on a pressure. Then add the fact that the forks weren't made to hold pressure in this way, and probably leak constantly, holding an accurate pressure (even if it could be determined by a good gage) would be a nightmare.

If you would look at the pics of the kits that were used, I can see why this would be an undesirable and probably a waste to purchase and install on a bike t get minimal benefits. Iwould bet that this was one of the determining factors as to why this concept never really caught hold. Simply wasn't worth all the headaches!

If you would look at the pics of the kits that were used, I can see why this would be an undesirable and probably a waste to purchase and install on a bike t get minimal benefits. Iwould bet that this was one of the determining factors as to why this concept never really caught hold. Simply wasn't worth all the headaches!
    IMO maybe, maybe not. I'm thinking one can dissect this all over the place but until it's been tried and dissproven, it might still something worth considering. One can evaluate the proposition objectively but utlimately it might just come down to giving it a try. In a simplistic fashion, one can very precisely overfill the forks with oil to change the air-over-oil effect. This in reality was the question posed by the original poster.

It seems that use of air can have an effect on the suspension. There may in fact reach a point of dimension returns along with a hassle factor that indeed makes it not worthwhile. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!