Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 95' R1100R Alternating ABS lights?

Nickname: Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    I get the same problem occasionally but found that if I just turn the key off, wait about 10 seconds and start up the bike again that the lights flash in sync and the ABS initializes. I don't know what causes it but it has always rectified itself by turning on and off.(BTW my brakes are new all around)
    Low voltage during cranking, as sensed by the ABS, can trigger a soft-fail which shuts down the ABS and sets the lights flashing. The 2nd-gen ABS was powered during initial key-on/cranking of the engine. If either the battery condition is slightly low, but enough to start the bike, or if the starter draws a bit too much amperage on cranking, either/both WILL trigger the soft fail. When you start the bike, get the flashing lights, shut it off, and restart, the battery has gotten just enough juice from the alternator to get it over the low voltage trigger thresehold.

Easiest way around it is to buy a Deltran or Shumacher battery tender and leave it plugged in whenever you're not riding. This is especially more true in the fall and cooler mornings. I have been doing that for years on my 94RS up here in Wisconsin and I don't get any flashing lights due to a low voltage start.

QUOTE=ANDYVH;901665]Easiest way around it is to buy a Deltran or Shumacher battery tender and leave it plugged in whenever you're not riding. This is especially more true in the fall and cooler mornings. I have been doing that for years on my 94RS up here in Wisconsin and I don't get any flashing lights due to a low voltage start.[/QUOTE]

I have and use BOTH. I have a couple of bikes and an old 90' RX-7. Shumachers can be had for under $25.00 They are VERY GOOD investments. Considering batteries are almost $100.00 each.