Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Carb Sync tool for 1996 rt1100

Best Carb Sync tool for 1996 rt1100

Hello, Now that I have retired and I have more time to perform the regular maintenance on my Motorcycles. I used to do a lot of my own work and had Carb sticks at one time but they since have vanished. I have looked at a lot of carb sync tools and most would work but I am interested in what has worked for you. One that you would recommend for the RT1100. The RT is my third BMW and I hope not my last BMW. Thanks Bob

Nickname: Droid
    My cheapo $20 carb sticks I bought from JC Whitney over 25 years ago work fine. I balanced the throttle bodies I rebuilt myself with the Bing kit, and used my mercury sticks to balance them. Worked great. Later I had a chance to check my RS on the BMW Factory synchronizing stand, and found I was within 1/2 millibar on the BMW gauge.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    My cheapo $20 carb sticks I bought from JC Whitney over 25 years ago work fine. I balanced the throttle bodies I rebuilt myself with the Bing kit, and used my mercury sticks to balance them. Worked great. Later I had a chance to check my RS on the BMW Factory synchronizing stand, and found I was within 1/2 millibar on the BMW gauge.
    That's great for you Andy but won't help the OP. Mercury sticks were banned years ago and for good reason even. Personally I wouldn't use mercury stix any more even if they were free. Nowadays there are more and better options.

I've used mercury stix, Morgan Carb Tune, Twin Max and a home made ATF fluid unit. But then I found out about the Harmonizer. Have not touched or used anything else since. Well designed tool that does the job superbly without any of the problems all the other units had. Currently out of stock but another batch coming soon I believe and well worth the wait if you are not in a hurry.

Here's the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=harmonizer
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Since I got a Harmonizer, my TwinMax has been very lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    That's great for you Andy but won't help the OP. Mercury sticks were banned years ago and for good reason even. Personally I wouldn't use mercury stix any more even if they were free. Nowadays there are more and better options.
    Dude, it's cool man, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, mercury, cool planet, I don't think it's just a moon. Oh, excuse me................back again.

Mercury, not the planet is scary stuff. It's not just the physical fluid, it can also be the vapor from it. Take the advice given here and get yourself any synchronizer that doesn't have mercury.

I recently read that as little a 1ppb in fish can contribute to significant cognitive impairment through exposure of as little as eating contaminated fish once a month.

Woah man, my Karma, where did I put it again?
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

+1 for Harmonizer.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    Since I got a Harmonizer, my TwinMax has been very lonely.
    +2 Harmonizer... The TwinMax is okay, the Harmonizer is the best I've used. If you want my Twin Max, I'd sell it for 50% off.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Nickname: Droid
    My age is showing. Hadn't even thought that the old mercury sticks had been banned. I stand corrected.

I bought a Motion Pro mercury carburetor synchronizer back in 1992 and switched to a Twin Max in 2004, shortly after I got my oilhead.

The Twin Max is very easy to use and it works very well. I can do an idle and off idle balance in under 5 minutes taking my time.

These are all very simple instruments designed to do one thing.

As for the Harmonizer, what does it do better than having a balanced engine? Or is it better because it is newer. Sort of reminds me of battery maintainers. They keep coming out with newer models, but they don't do anything any differently.

No longer a member here
    I am getting a little confused here??? What carbs are you going to synch on a 1996 RT1100???
    If you are going to synch the carbs on your R1100RT, I bet you will end up with a badly surging bike and I would suggest, you don't touch it and get it to a dealer.....

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I bought a Motion Pro mercury carburetor synchronizer back in 1992 and switched to a Twin Max in 2004, shortly after I got my oilhead.

The Twin Max is very easy to use and it works very well. I can do an idle and off idle balance in under 5 minutes taking my time.

These are all very simple instruments designed to do one thing.

As for the Harmonizer, what does it do better than having a balanced engine? Or is it better because it is newer. Sort of reminds me of battery maintainers. They keep coming out with newer models, but they don't do anything any differently.
    Yes, you can turn a slot head screw with a quarter but a screwdriver works better!

Better mouse traps have been invented from day one. It's called progress.
    Have you used a Harmonizer yet? If you ever do you will prefer it to the TwinMax, hands down.
    It is more accurate, easier to use, less bulky and the display does not bounce around for starters.
    It also measures RPM more accurately than your tach making idle adjustments easier.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I am getting a little confused here??? What carbs are you going to synch on a 1996 RT1100???
    If you are going to synch the carbs on your R1100RT, I bet you will end up with a badly surging bike and I would suggest, you don't touch it and get it to a dealer.....
    Well yeah, I would say you are.
    Carb synch tools have been used to sych throttle bodies since they started replacing carbs.
    Dozens of us synch our own throttle bodies and we don't need to go running to a dealer to accomplish this simple task. Assuming you have the right tools and some knowledge of course.

I'm thinking this was tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Damn, no wonder why my mercury carb stix work so well on my bike. I always thought I was syncing carbs.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Yes, you can turn a slot head screw with a quarter but a screwdriver works better!
    Thats not even an equitable comparison.

Have you used a Harmonizer yet? If you ever do you will prefer it to the TwinMax, hands down.
    Not being your average lemming/consumer, I'm not about to throw away my Twin Max and run out and buy a Harmonizer that will not provide me with a smoother running engine.

It is more accurate, easier to use, less bulky and the display does not bounce around for starters.
    Accurate? Prove it! Accuracy? What accuracy do you need...its not like you are setting up x millibars at X RPM. You want both cylinders to be the same...thats all.

If you really want precision, you'd get one measurement sensor with one hose and a Y splitter with a selector valve and switch left to right to left, etc.

The Twin Max is easy to use and is compact enough to fit in my luggage when I head to Europe to tune my bike there.

As for the needle bouncing, you want it to. That is how it works. You're not looking for any particular reading, just a centered position of a quickly swinging needle.

I'd bet you if I used either to tune an engine, you could not tell the difference. Want to take me up on that bet; I need the money.

JohnWC
    I have been down this road myself. I have a Twinmax. Simple to use, my 96 1100 seems to run very well using it, and most critically, it is a tool that is very easy to obtain.

Contrast that to the Harmonizer. Great tool, so everyone claims. I'm sure it is. But...VERY hard to get your hands on. Made by one guy in his garage. He has no email to contact him. You never know when he is going to run a few up. Every time this issue comes up I see that same link posted, like that just solves the problem. Anyone notice that that posting is from June of 2011. We are coming up on 2014, folks. And it is always the same situation: "He's out of them at the moment, but supposed to make some more soon." How could you tell he was out? From the 2011 post? Ridiculous. How do you know when he is going to make any more? You can't contact him. I wish some company, like Twinmax, would buy out his patent, and go into regular production. This is a long rant, but I say that anyone who blithely tells someone like the OP to, "Go buy a Harmonizer," hasn't tried to buy one lately. It appears to be next to impossible. And believe me, I've tried. Now everyone tell me how simple it is to get one, that they had no problem. Okay,... give me his email, give me his phone number, give me his postal address. Then I too can hand over my $140 for this miracle tool.