Thread: Alternator capacity on the RR

Alternator capacity on the RR

I'm planning to do some multi-day rides on the RR and would ideally like to run heated clothes, an electric tank bag for charging phone and cameras, a radar detector, and possibly some add-on conspicuity lighting on the bike. The question I'm having a little trouble tracking down is what capacity is left over for add-ons from the 350 W alternator on the bike. Powerlet has some advice on their web site that suggests that the bike might need as much as 330 W with all the lights on and the cooling fan running. That's not much left for anything more than charging my phone and maybe running the RD.

Any thoughts here on this conundrum?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Might have a clue for you, although I ride a different bike. The 800ST has a 400 watt alternator--a bit more than your S1000RR--and my baseline usage (engine running, low beam on) is only 147 watts. If I turn on the high beams and the heated grips on high and get the cooling fan running, the max usage is 313 watts. Your usage level is likely similar.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Might have a clue for you, although I ride a different bike. The 800ST has a 400 watt alternator--a bit more than your S1000RR--and my baseline usage (engine running, low beam on) is only 147 watts. If I turn on the high beams and the heated grips on high and get the cooling fan running, the max usage is 313 watts. Your usage level is likely similar.
    Thanks Royce, that's exactly the kind of help I was looking for. How did you determine your usage?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

The F800 data is published on another site, don't remember who did it originally. Clamp on meter for DC, probably?

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Thanks Royce, that's exactly the kind of help I was looking for. How did you determine your usage?
    The F800 data came from F800riders.com site. Likely similar data is available for the RR somewhere, but I can't suggest where that might be. Keep looking and good luck.

When I bought the F800ST, I was troubled by what seemed like a quite small 400 watt alternator on a bike with "touring" in the title and I worried about running LED lights plus heated gear. Turns out BMW had thought it through just fine ... as long as I keep the engine turning at least 3,000 rpm it cranks out plenty of power for all my gear. Therefore, in winter and around town I simply run in a lower gear than I might otherwise select. At highway speeds the engine turns about 4K so all is well.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST