Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever Gotten a Speeding Ticket on an R1200R?

Has Anyone Ever Gotten a Speeding Ticket on an R1200R?

Last edited by rockbottom; 06-09-2014 at 06:57 PM.

The R1200R reads quite easily on radar and laser lidar. The headlamps make excellent reflectors of both. Be careful out there ...

Some departments have a "no pursuit" policy for motorcycles, and unless you are really cooking at hi-mach numbers and acting stupid, most all officers I know will leave you alone.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Some departments have a "no pursuit" policy for motorcycles, and unless you are really cooking at hi-mach numbers and acting stupid, most all officers I know will leave you alone.
    Wow - must be nice. Not out here.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Seems like in town police chase you till you wreck and rural cops radio about you till ya run out of gas.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Hot stuff - better known of as Oldwhatshername certainly did on the R in this link.
    http://www.nmpcs.com/r11r/compare.jpg

She was hauling ass on NM 522 - downhill into Questa, NM - to get to the BMW RA RALLY in Red River, NM in 2002. She was only something like 40 or so over....

So to answer your question - yes, and yes, police radar can snag you in a heartbeat if they want you - and you're over.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Beemermark
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    For no reason in particular, I'm beginning to wonder if police radar can get a clean read on them. Advancing scientific knowledge and all.
    The nice policeman laughed when I asked if he was really sure it was me in the all the traffic. He said the laser was pointed on my face shield so he was very sure.

Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    The nice policeman laughed when I asked if he was really sure it was me in the all the traffic. He said the laser was pointed on my face shield so he was very sure.
    At which point, you fell on the ground, screaming, "My eyes! My eyes!"

Right?
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Seems like in town police chase you till you wreck and rural cops radio about you till ya run out of gas.
    "You can't outrun a Motorola."
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

No tickets so far on my R, but I've been flashed a few times when running 10 over. Local State Trooper, son of a friend with a R12RT, says motorcycles with fairings can be difficult at times to get a return off of.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    Was he trying to damage your eyes!
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Radar, by the nature of band is at its narrowest when it leaves the antenna and then widens the further it gets away. It is not "target specific" and depends on the unit and the skill or training of the operator. Hence the training involved. Laser on the other hand IS target specific and the target IS selected by the operator. And yes, I've been told that headlights on any vehicle make excellent laser targets.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Ticket on a R1200R

Don't believe the myth that a motorcycle cannot be detected by radar.

R1200R's can be detected by radar, as mine was two years ago in Wythe County, VA on Interstate 77. The LEO was in a perfect spot (around a curve, at the bottom of a hill) and I had no opportunity to reduce speed to avoid detection.

Since then, I have obeyed all speed limits to avoid a recurrence of any tickets.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

They detect us just fine. The can detect a bicycle, as I was pulled over for 30 in a 20. No ticket though. Yes, there was a significant tail wind.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    Don't believe the myth that a motorcycle cannot be detected by radar.

R1200R's can be detected by radar, as mine was two years ago in Wythe County, VA on Interstate 77. The LEO was in a perfect spot (around a curve, at the bottom of a hill) and I had no opportunity to reduce speed to avoid detection.

Since then, I have obeyed all speed limits to avoid a recurrence of any tickets.

Bill
    And that's all it is a myth. It's how we used to check the "calibrated" police speedometers on our motors after all. Not only that, we had an old Decatur Electronics unit that you could hear the Doppler of a jogger's legs or even the "flap" of a flag in the wind.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    "You can't outrun a Motorola."
    That is a myth. We used to do it all the time in Los Angeles. You just have to be out of sight before the helicopter shows up.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1