Thread: ABS Reset? '09 1200RT

ABS Reset? '09 1200RT

Guys, I previously had a '02 GSA that I had to reset the ABS every now and then by jumpering 2 contacts in the diagnostic plug under the seat for 60 seconds...was wondering if the same can be done to my friend's '09 1200 RT and what is the procedure...I think I saw it at IBMWR site years ago...Thanks for any help.

BruceRT
    I assume you would need a GS911 to reset any of the software-controlled functions.

What needs to be reset? What is the issue that needs changing?
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by bdimon View Post
    I assume you would need a GS911 to reset any of the software-controlled functions.

What needs to be reset? What is the issue that needs changing?
    My friend sez abs is blinking constantly...my old GSA would reset by grounding brown lead to green / yellow for 60 seconds with ignition on to reset. I'll check ibmwr site later

Most common, easy to check/fix ABS problem on the R1200 series is a damaged wire from the front wheel sensor.

No "reset" procedure that I've ever heard of beyond the usual startup initialization.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Most common, easy to check/fix ABS problem on the R1200 series is a damaged wire from the front wheel sensor.

No "reset" procedure that I've ever heard of beyond the usual startup initialization.
    That happens - but it's not the most common problem. The most common problem appears now to be failure of the ABS modulator under the tank. The brushes in the motor that drives it start sticking, show an open circuit and shut the ABS off and the warning light on. It can be diagnosed with a GS911.

It can be fixed at a fraction of the price of a new one from BMW by R&R and sending it to ModuleMasters (Google it..) Around $300 and it's back to you with a 5 year warranty.

And there is no reset (GS911 or dealer computer) on the newer ABS's. They test themselves every time the bike is started. If it's working, the light goes out. If it's broken - the light stays on and ABS is off.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche