Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RT hard bags

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I thought that's why God give us legs. One hand opens bag and lid leans at whatever angle I desire on leg and bag loaded...close by pushing forward with leg and close/lock lid with one hand. Of course Harley lid can rest higher on leg, but not always as easy to close with one hand.

+1....and i have CeeBaileys fitted bags for both the side cases and top box.....nice way to pack lots of crap on the RT....

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I'm sure you're aware of the Jesse's and all? I'm in the process of adapting a pair of older Bates top loaders to my "R" naked bike. I think it will look nice when completed...but is proving to be a ?? due to making my mounts from 1/2" tubing. I want it right & neat...so it has been a slow go. I will post a pic once mounted, & then once complete...paint & all for those interested.

A friend stopped by while I was working on the project, & made another good suggestion. That of using Honda Shadow / Valkyrie bags....could work? Or any nice looking normal shaped top loader. I thought also about early 81-83 G/wing bags. Done right & match painted I think any of them would look nice. And yes the top-load is a + {IMO} as well.

There is a guy on the R1150-1200R group that mounted a set of Tourtechs..on an "R"..Looks more GS'ish but not bad at all.
    Valkyrie bags look reasonable (everyone has different tastes of course) however, I was on a ride with a friend (Calgary AB to San Diego CA and back) a couple of years ago and by the time we got to the second day we were using duct tape, glue and rivets to try and hold the Valkyrie bags together. They were made of a type of very poor plastic and would never hold up like Jesse bags do. They were not new bags of course so the age of the plastic may have had an influence but the bike was always kept garaged when not ridden so showed no sign of weathering influence. He is now converting some Harley bags for his Valkyrie.
    Last edited by bogthebasher; 10-04-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Valkyrie bags look reasonable (everyone has different tastes of course) however, I was on a ride with a friend (Calgary AB to San Diego CA and back) a couple of years ago and by the time we got to the second day we were using duct tape, glue and rivets to try and hold the Valkyrie bags together. They were made of a type of very poor plastic and would never hold up like Jesse bags do. They were not new bags of course so the age of the plastic may have had an influence but the bike was always kept garaged when not ridden so showed no sign of weathering influence. He is now converting some Harley bags for his Valkyrie.

WoW!..that is strange. Are you sure they were Honda Valkyrie bags? Not just some bags [on] a Valkyrie? I'm not a Honda fan per'se but they do make quality products. I have a friend who has owned three Valk's never seen anything like that.

Another thought is the Touring bags for an R1200C. They are top loaded & have a decent capacity, and could be keyed to match the motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Ever tried to put a helmet into a top-loading side case???
    Very good point.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Ever tried to put a helmet into a top-loading side case???
    Do it all the time with my Hepco Becker cases on my R1200R. Not so much on our three sets of Jesses. I have side loaders on my FJR and they are nowhere near as convenient. About 80-90% of our riding is on trips ad there is no room for a helmet in a side case in any case.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost