Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intercom Systems

Intercom Systems

My wife recently bought her own bike and we are looking into some sort of 2 way communication device. Does anyone have some suggestions on a good product. We are looking for something simple that allows us to check in occasionally while riding.
    Thanks

communications

I bought the Sena smh5 for my wife and I. Although we ride two up, the units will pick up from a far greater distance as two bikes would be traveling together. I paid around $186.00 for the pair. We are really happy with this system. It is also bluetooth. This unit slide on a clip which is placed on the side of the helmet. Speakers and microphone come with the pair. Again, we are really happy with the system. I originally purchased the pair from Revzilla. Great service......

Cowboyatheart
    I use the Sena SMH10. Works well between bikes/riders. Easy to use jog dial. Pairs with my zumo 660 and my iPhone.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

My wife and I also use the Sena SMH10. We've got about 35K miles on them and they preform well. They are very much a line-of-sight device; if you cannot see your partner then you are unlikely to be able to communicate. Range is 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. The voice activated function has never worked well for us because the wind noise activates the radios. The push to talk mode is easy to use, but there can be a 2-3 second delay before the radios connect. You can leave the radios in an open-mic mode where you will hear every thing that either of you says. This works well for urban and other slow speed areas where you are talking directions, which restaurant or gas station to go to. At highway speeds, say 70 MPH and above, communicating is normally limited to short messages due to wind noise, I suspect that can vary depending on the bike and helmet used. They are also simple to switch between different helmets so long as you have a mount on each helmet. Time between charges can vary depending on how much you talk and how much time is spent in the open-mic mode. We've gone as long as three consecutive 400 mie days on a single charge.

Before getting the Sena we tried a variety of other systems such as StarCom and ChatterBox. They worked well at times but we seemed to be always be dealing with cables and wires and the problems they can present.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Sena SMH10 with the latest firmware upgrade.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

SENA SMH10 is the only way to go. I am a former Scala Rider user & it does not compare.
    John.

Sena SMH10 since winter. We love them and couldn't imagine riding together without them. I upgraded mine to newest firmware, though, and having some pairing issues with my Bluetooth/iPhone. I suspect it's the user's issue . I second the comment about hearing each other at high speeds. We have HJC modular helmets and they are just plain noisy!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Cowboyatheart
    I have a BMW system 5 modular helmet (made by Schuberth). With earplugs, and I always wear them, I have no problem, at virtually any speed, hearing another rider, as long as they speak up and their helmet's are not too noisy.

The auto speak feature, I turned off. The one guy I ride with is always coughing or hacking or making some other noise that turns it on. So I got him to turn it off on his system too.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

+1 on Sena

great stuff, with amazing support.

another confirmation for the Sena, I use the SMH10R works very well. Wife really enjoys the phone coupling she can now keep in touch much easier and talking even at speeds slightly over the leagal limit are clear. Price was reasonable, and the unit is simple to upgrade via the internet, and very easy to operate.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I've used a u-clear set since they first came out without any problems.

http://www.uclear-digital.com/us/

You might look over their web site.
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    I've used a u-clear set since they first came out without any problems.

http://www.uclear-digital.com/us/

You might look over their web site.
    Pretty expensive for dual helmet setup versus Sena SMH10 dual setup for $285.00
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    Pretty expensive for dual helmet setup versus Sena SMH10 dual setup for $285.00
    So people using the various communication products available, are you on touring bikes behind full windshields or bikes more open to the wind such as a GS?

Most of my riding comes in the open air an I am concerned about that issue. Both riders wear Shoei full face helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post
    So people using the various communication products available, are you on touring bikes behind full windshields or bikes more open to the wind such as a GS?
    I ride a 1200RT. I also ride a CBR1000RR with a full face Shoei helmet and use my Sena headset with it. I wear ear plugs (because of the Two Brothers exhaust) and I can hear phone conversations and my music very well.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    I ride a 1200RT. I also ride a CBR1000RR with a full face Shoei helmet and use my Sena headset with it. I wear ear plugs (because of the Two Brothers exhaust) and I can hear phone conversations and my music very well.
    Thanks for the input Tony.