Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bmw is starting to suck

Bmw is starting to suck

52 days in the shop and still waiting for a part just one part the cam chain tensioner. This is unacceptable and will not recommend to anyone to get a BMW scooter.
    Last edited by flatpic; 10-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Your frustration is understandable.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Check the Lemon Law in your state. In some states unable to repair within 30 days may trigger the law.

p.s. Some useful information in your profile would help us help you.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I might wonder if they have effectively breached the warranty, Lemon Law or otherwise - talk to an attorney with specific Lemon Law knowledge in your state.

sounds not unlike when I got my first GL1100 goldwing....I bought it before the whole support network was in place at honda...that took over a year.
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Ridiculous

I can get parts from Germany in 2-3 days. I wonder why they cannot?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpic View Post
    51 days in the shop and still waiting for a part just one part the cam chain tensioner. This is unacceptable and will not recommend to anyone to get a BMW scooter.
    Aren't you waiting for a new engine? Your other post indicated that the chain became loose, skipped timing sprockets, and seemingly destroyed the valves and piston. Nevertheless, 51 days is still too long!

They fixed everything else with new parts new valves etc... there just waiting for one more part.

Flatpic
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I can get parts from Germany in 2-3 days. I wonder why they cannot?
    I'm going to take a wild guess. The engine failed when the cam chain went slack because the hydraulic tensioner failed. I will further guess that BMW had a few replacement tensioners, but when they became suspect stopped shipping them in the supply chain pending either: a quality control review on the batch of tensioners; or, pending a new batch from a different source entirely.

They never talk much about this sort of thing but it happens - to BMW and other manufacturers too. For what it is worth they had tensioner problems on the Oilheads and changed the design for the left tensioner; they had problems on the F650 singles and changed the design and/or supplier. At least the new ones were visually and identifiably different. I have heard of a few problems on the 800 twins too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

One more part is not an excuse for a bike under warranty to be out of commission for months IMHO - if they cannot repair the bike in a reasonable period of time (and worse yet, can't even tell you when it will be repaired), you should be able to exercise whatever remedies are available under that warranty for their inability to fix it. Two months is patently unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminsf View Post
    One more part is not an excuse for a bike under warranty to be out of commission for months IMHO - if they cannot repair the bike in a reasonable period of time (and worse yet, can't even tell you when it will be repaired), you should be able to exercise whatever remedies are available under that warranty for their inability to fix it. Two months is patently unreasonable.
    Here is where both the dealer and BMW can step up and provide a loaner till they get the parts.

I would be mad as hell to have a new bike and have it sit for weeks and weeks.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Have you contacted BMW NA and told them you demand that they buy back the scooter since they cannot repair it and have failed to honor the warranty?

That guess about lousy cam tensioners in the mix somewhere is pretty reasonable and it does take a while to fix a supply problem like that, if it exists- especially if the item needed isn't a normally inventoried part for the supplier.
    BMW has had more problems with cam chain tensioners than Paul noted- several more in fact. I own one- an 06 K1200GT where the original tensioner was a noisey mess that contributed to a bunch of chain skips and fragged motors- and its replacement part designed to stop the chain clatter is only a little bit better. They eventually added a jump guard to keep the noisey-at-startup chain on the gears. My motor is still intact at approaching only 30Kmiles- the bike has other issues (also bad design needing repair) so I ride it less than my other bikes until I can get to fixing it. The combined sum of all its flaws is one reason used K wedge bikes are typically cheaper than equivalent R bikes of the same vintage- which is fine for folks who can tolerate the work they take.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Due to a lapse of Federal Government funding, NHTSA is unable process safety defect complaints after close of business September 30, 2013. Consumers can continue to file complaints via this website, but they will not be evaluated by NHTSA staff until funding and services are restored.

At some point these guys will go back to work. Give them something to work on.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

The real question is why is it so hard for BMW to make a hydraulic cam tensioner. And why is it tolerated at the company.

Bad Management

Rod