Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ever watch the satellites?

Lots of apps and places to go for info. We sometimes show the ISS to folks who've never seen it.

In the 60s I watched (from NJ) rocket launches in VA, a few auroras and several satellites, the brightest of which was Echo (a radar ranging balloon with a key transmitter in MA). Also did some meteor watching. One night my father got curious and wanted to see Echo so I took him out for a gander and while we happened to be gazing down, all of a sudden saw our shadows on the ground- the brightest meteor I've ever seen went horizon to horizon. He thought that's what I saw when meteor watching and I couldn't bring myself to tell him you could watch for lifetimes and never see another like it.

na1g
    Related note: there is a partial lunar eclipse Friday 10/18. I don't have details except that it will peak (?) shortly after moonrise. Anyone more astronomically knowledgeable that can fill in details?

pete

I have an app on my 'droid called Space Junk. Constellations, sats, etc.

Coolest thing I've seen so far was one winter night I was relaxing in the spa and saw something moving east to west. Thought it was an aircraft but, hmmmm....no position lights, no strobes. What the heck is it? Realized it was the ISS. Then not 10 seconds later, here comes another one, right behind it. No, there aren't two.......holy crap! That's the Shuttle!!

~sigh~ not a sight I'll ever see again.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Related note: there is a partial lunar eclipse Friday 10/18. I don't have details except that it will peak (?) shortly after moonrise. Anyone more astronomically knowledgeable that can fill in details?

pete
    Eclipse will start at 1940 pm (7:40) EST on the east coast. It is only a partial not a full in the northeast anyway. For those of you who will see it ...... enjoy the show!

Bob C
    Can't see a difference yet.. but the dogs about 1/2 mile away are going nuts...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

In between the snow, the sky has been real clear- Outer Limits clear but no satellites.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    In between the snow, the sky has been real clear- Outer Limits clear but no satellites.
    My eyes don't work as well as they used to work, but in the winter with clear skies, it's usually easy to see the birds. Last time I really looked was at Meat Cove in Nova Scotia, lying on a picnic table. There were dozens of them.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    When I was a kid we went outside to watch Sputnik (the first man-made satellite) go overhead. Later we were able to pick up its feeble radio beacon on our ham radio receiver. There wasn't much danger of Sputnik crashing into another satellite - it was the only one up there. Now the only thing that prevents satellite traffic accidents is that they are all going in the same direction, more or less. It's quite a junkyard, though.

pete
    I've learned so much from my mistakes I think I'll make a few more.
    Sputnik 1 burned up on 4 January 1958, as it fell from orbit upon reentering Earth's atmosphere, after travelling about 70 million km (43.5 million miles) and spending 3 months in orbit
    ....RIP Sput
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Sputnik 1 burned up on 4 January 1958, as it fell from orbit upon reentering Earth's atmosphere, after travelling about 70 million km (43.5 million miles) and spending 3 months in orbit
    ....RIP Sput
    Yeah, I remember watching Sputnik and Echo in the late 50's. You could see the stars in Boston too, no such thing as horrible light pollution in those days.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Conditions were good, got to see a couple of 'em while bringing in the firewood for the night
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Us too...right before the full moon came out saw 4 zip by. Helen wasn't quick enough with her Ipad to identify them with Starwalk.

Firewood? sorry buddy
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

47 years ago today, Early Bird caught the signals and regurgitated them back to us-
    http://www.whiteeagleaerospace.com/e...ellite-launch/
    OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Satellite spotting

Riding my G.S. on Highway 50 (lonely highway) I spent the night near Austin in the desert watching the little Satellites shooting by.......very cool!