Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1992 K100 RS "breaks down / surges" at 4k - 5k RPM..

Update: When I left the bike the fuel pump would not run as the computer would not ground the fuel pump relay, (same wire supplies power to the injectors) tonight it all worked great again with NO PROBLEMS for a while then the breaking down in the 4-5k rpm range and then finally when I rap on the computer it died completely again. I had already cleaned all connections too. It would not die wiggling the wires so I am pretty sure it's the computer, now to find one.....
    Friends are people who know you, but like you anyway!

Are you sure it's not the plug? I had to replace the clip that hold the plug on the computer.
    ROC-ROC
    President of the Hoosier Beemers
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Update: When I left the bike the fuel pump would not run as the computer would not ground the fuel pump relay, (same wire supplies power to the injectors) tonight it all worked great again with NO PROBLEMS for a while then the breaking down in the 4-5k rpm range and then finally when I rap on the computer it died completely again. I had already cleaned all connections too. It would not die wiggling the wires so I am pretty sure it's the computer, now to find one.....
    I'm assuming that you have cleaned all the connector surface - both male and female - with a good contact cleaner and some kind of slightly abrasive probe?
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I have cleaned both ends of the plug and on the computer with no luck. We started it up the other night and it was perfect but before long it began to break down again and then when we wiggled all of the wires there was no change but a rap on the computer itself made the bike die.... so hopefully we have found it. I ordered a used computer so I should know soon, probably next weekend by the time it gets here. I am a little worried that it might be the hall sensor on the front of the motor telling the computer to shut down the fuel and spark but only time will tell for me now. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
    Friends are people who know you, but like you anyway!

I have the same issue between 4k and 5k on a 91 K1. Were you ever able to track down the issue and fix it?