Thread: Black/Gold R100CS Roundel Faded or Intentional?

Black/Gold R100CS Roundel Faded or Intentional?

I was getting ready to strip the "faded' roundels off of my 1982 R100CS Black/Gold Mettalic paint. The outer ring and BMW look like they may be an intentional Gold color. Does anyone know if that is correct? I am afraid they may be impossible to replace if so, and they are in excellent shape, just thought they may be faded(yellowed)

Not sure this will help, but I just replaced my '86 R80 roundels. The old ones had a vinyl/plastique covering on the
    actual logo and initially I was going to try to touch-up the old roundels with some vanish - figuring the varnish would
    "take" and replicate the yellowing of the roundel. That didn't work so I removed the old ones with a hair dryer and dental floss. The first thing that came off each roundel was this plastique-type covering. I would have preferred the nuance of the old-school roundels although I suppose the years of sun and weather had deteriorated the covering. Underneath the covering were pristine roundels, but by then I had taken them totally off. Can't speak to the R100CS roundel specifically.

They are yellowed with age. You will like the fresh new look better. When I bought my 81 R100RT it was that way.

I bought my '82 R100 in '91 and the roundels were yellow then, but after 20+ years they are still the same shade of yellow. I thought it was factory for the early '80's. Over the years I bought a couple of used tanks for it and those roundels were also yellowed.

It's NOT factory. BMW would never diminish its trademark nor insult Bavaria by changing the color.

There's a better one available on the car side that has the lettering raised a bit. It's a wheel center.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Thanks for releasing all my doubts on the subject. I have a new set of roundels but I was hesitant to install them, not wishing to disturb the patina on the tank. It is a high mileage, hard ridden bike that has seen plenty of rough usage with all the resultant rub marks, dings, and assorted scars from the p o's and my own mishandling. Now that the bike no longer doubles as a work truck, I got to thinking to upgrade to something a little less rough. I bought a nice looking similar tank sans the dings and rub marks off fleece bay, the roundels were the same shade of yellow, but it was rusted out on the interior. I am trying to repair it without disturbing the original paint as it is the correct paint code for my bike. It will look good with new roundels. ( I don't want to paint it because I doubt I could ever replicate the pin-striping. There is something about it that pleases my eye.) My '91 RT's roundels look as clear as though they were new. Which is one reason I thought it might be an engineered effect on the '82's roundels. After all, we all know those enginerrs don't make mistakes.