Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats the deal on the R 850R

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Since the stroke is identical you might be able to do it but why bother? Apparently it keeps up with an 1100 easily so why bother? According to a buddy due o gear ratios the RPMs on the 850 are several hundred higher at 60MPH on the 850 riding alongside an 1100. So you'd be spinning that crank faster and using more fuel to gain what? A little more oomph at take off and on hills? Seems the 850 is geared to take care of that already. I'd ride it as designed.
    So then you've never added a seat pad?, bar risers ? windshield ? Some people like to see 'what if'? Nothing wrong with trying to improve , personalize ? {IMO}

Man wasn't designed to fly.. ..but we do...

Are you posting from personal knowledge or something else? The R850R sold in the US was equivalent to the R1100 technology-wise. There was also an R850R counterpart to the R1150R, and that is what you are describing but it was not sold here. I believe the OP is from the US.

Head back to the bar and let all the "experts" know the easiest way to convert an 850 to an 1100 is to sell the 850 and buy an 1100.

They all have one right? Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike.

There are quite a few not immediately apparent differences between the R850 vs R1100
    - 70HP vs 80-HP
    - Smaller bore, same stroke
    - Identical compression ratio (10.3:1)
    - Motronic 2.4 vs 2.2 (so the 850 is smarter!)
    - Hydraulic clutch vs mechanical
    - 6 speed transmission vs 5 speed on 1100
    - Both wheels are 17" on 850, 17" Front and 18" Rear on 1100
    - Brakes are EVO system on 850 with different size rotors
    - Partially integrated brakes on the 850, not so on 1100
    - Almost same size tank, same fuel consumption on 850 at constant 90 km/hr (not going to save on gas with this puppy)

In some ways it seems more like an 1150GS than an 1100R.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

South West Florida to be exact

Right now the bike is a bit of a mess and it had sat in the back of the owners garage for the last 5-6 years. The two /5, /2, /6 and three modification projects got pushed aside to admit the emergency room candidate so it would not be a parted out. No pictures right now to protect patient privacy but when she's done and ready run the roads again the pictures will come out.

Thank you for the input I'm glad it is mostly positive and very helpful

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    So then you've never added a seat pad?, bar risers ? windshield ? Some people like to see 'what if'? Nothing wrong with trying to improve , personalize ? {IMO}

Man wasn't designed to fly.. ..but we do...
    My comments were in regards to turning an 850 to an 1100. So we were talking about changing out pistons, cylinders and heads, not accessories. But to answer your question, yes, i have done all the things you describe and I see nothing wrong in personalizing a bike or improving it.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Are you posting from personal knowledge or something else? The R850R sold in the US was equivalent to the R1100 technology-wise. There was also an R850R counterpart to the R1150R, and that is what you are describing but it was not sold here. I believe the OP is from the US.
    No, not from personal knowledge. I do have a riding buddy whose father in law owns one. It is for sale and out of curiosity I looked into it. They are kind of rare here in Canada too. He related the anecdotal RPMs at speed info to me. The specs I looked up as below.

Tech info on 850R: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R850R.htm

Tech info on 1100R: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1100R.htm

Phil Hawksley's info site is based in the UK. It states the 850R was made from 94 to 01. Hard to imagine they made a different one with a different ECU, brakes, wheels etc etc for the USA only but I guess anything's possible.

My comments were in regards to turning an 850 to an 1100. So we were talking about changing out pistons, cylinders and heads, not accessories. But to answer your question, yes, i have done all the things you describe and I see nothing wrong in personalizing a bike or improving it.

Well that was sorta my point. One guy might just add a windshield and be done. Another guy might 'need' more changes to suit him.

And still . the engine mods aren't that extreme ? {IMO} so a person could end up with a lighter weight, low seat height , six speed motorcycle for a lower cost ? Depending on the deal of course & how he goes about it.

Would I ? No , not unless I got a heck'of'a deal on an 850...and wanted something different or thought I needed the 10 extra HP. Not sure about up north ? but down here they are much lower priced than the 1100....and I'm [told] for younger riders a huge insurance break ? Unfortunately that is not a concern of mine as I am....un-younger

No, not from personal knowledge.
    .... Hard to imagine they made a different one with a different ECU, brakes, wheels etc etc for the USA only but I guess anything's possible.
    Not really. That website is wrong.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Not really. That website is wrong.
    I'll leave it to you to let him know. At least it wasn't me this time.

Seriously though, if I get out to Shail's Motorcycles before it's sold, I'll take a closer look at the one he has and check out what I can.

The internet is full of mistakes; I'm not the police. That one is more of an omission.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Everything you read on the InterWeb isn't true??

The internet is full of mistakes; I'm not the police. That one is more of an omission.
    Now I am totally shocked that everything you read on the InterWeb isn't true.

"InterWeb" is a Canadian term so no need to point out there is no "InterWeb".
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "Life isn't about how fast or how high, it's about how well you bounce."

Your bike is gorgeous! Congrats.

I hope you mean "flymymbz"'s bike

Not mine I hope, the one I just picked up is a mess and was priced accordingly. I would agree that the Red R 850R that is posted really is a well cared for and clean bike but the one I have isn't quite that, ah maybe not even close to that one and may never catch up.

I'm waiting for the fuel pump stuff from Beemer Bone Yard so I can crank mine up and start with the rehab and cleanup process and then maybe I'll take a chance at pictures and the ugly truth.

I still might GS mine out with taller shocks, Woody's wheels, knobbies, plastic gas tank, real handle bars and a dose of lighten and beef up. Mines got the extra stuff, tach, clock, windshield, steering damper but they stopped short of spoked wheels. Why would they do that?

Any thoughts out there? Anybody out there think it would be a neat Scrambler project to go with the /5 one I'm into up to my ears? Its got the right final drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 69ZEFF65 View Post
    Not mine I hope, the one I just picked up is a mess and was priced accordingly. I would agree that the Red R 850R that is posted really is a well cared for and clean bike but the one I have isn't quite that, ah maybe not even close to that one and may never catch up.

I'm waiting for the fuel pump stuff from Beemer Bone Yard so I can crank mine up and start with the rehab and cleanup process and then maybe I'll take a chance at pictures and the ugly truth.

I still might GS mine out with taller shocks, Woody's wheels, knobbies, plastic gas tank, real handle bars and a dose of lighten and beef up. Mines got the extra stuff, tach, clock, windshield, steering damper but they stopped short of spoked wheels. Why would they do that?

Any thoughts out there? Anybody out there think it would be a neat Scrambler project to go with the /5 one I'm into up to my ears? Its got the right final drive.

Just a thought...I think any project that suits & pleases you in the end would be neat.....pictures please..!

My first BMW was an R850R "Olympic Special". They were used at the Olympics in Atlanta GA in 1996 for guiding bike rides and marathon runners etc. It came with a certificate of authenticity and mine was #150. I am 6 foot 3 and 225 pounds and I rode that thing to the Missoula MT rally from Alabama which was in the late 90s loaded down with camping gear. It had plenty of power and was the smoothest oilhead I have owned, and I have had many since then. I wouldn't do anything to mod the engine, it is smooth and didn't have any of the surging problems like the 1150.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOAL, AMA, CMA

Exclamation Great looking bike!

I have a '95 R1100R. I purchased the 'BMW' brand filter wrench. I have 68K on it.

Leave the bike alone and ride it. My bike only makes 10 more horsepower than yours. No biggie.

I have the stock seat. No Bar backs. I do have a luggage rack. Factory bags. Factory head guards. An RS muffler (so I can use the FULL size L/H saddlebag inner.